the EMOTION behind close-competitions | Golden Skate

the EMOTION behind close-competitions

lulu

Final Flight
I discovered why, I (for the most part) love close comps and the ensuing "Who waz robbed" debates. Okay, it annoys me when posters take the "robbed" thing a little too seriously. But I do like to read the reasons for why some posters thought skater x should have won, and others pick skater y.

But it's more than just that. The close competitions have at least two great programs. It has great skating that fans still remember years later. Sometimes it even has some of the greatest programs ever created. There is a tension-who is going to come out on top. There's also a somewhat bittersweet feeling when it comes to the silver medalist. To know that you were just that close to winning a Gold medal, and that perhaps on any other night against any other skater you would have won.

Well said, lulu -

Those 5-4 decisions are joy and saddness all around. Does it prove the 'best' - Of course not. B&S v.S&P are prime examples of great skating and the results of nine judges prove nothing.

I contend if there were another group of nine judges, the decision could be totally reversed, but that is only in those tight contests and all judging is fair.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Normally, I agree. However, I think back to 2002 dance... To me, there was never a question that A&P were way ahead of L&A. I mean, I know a lot of people don't like L&A; I actually do like them a lot. But they are just not in the same league as A&P. However, it was a 4-5 split. Ridiculous, if you ask me!

I hate close contests. My nerves can't take it. I end up hiding in the kitchen, afraid to poke my head out in case my favorite makes a mistake.

What I like is when my lady, man or team skates perfectly and everybody else falls at least three times. Then I don't have to lay awake all night, in anguish about that dreaded 5-4 split.

Of course, if I am watching on TV and I already know who won, that's a different story. Then I want everybody to skate well, and a hearty congratulations to the bronze and silver winners!

Mathman

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Yes, we remember the great skating ones but also I remember things like Tonya's shoestring, etc. :laugh:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
You think it's hard to take now? Try it way back in the days when figures counted. Your favorite skater would "blow" the figures and skate a brilliant performance only to wind up behind the leader in figures in a close contest - like Brian Orser behind Scott Hamilton. Talk about being on the edge of your seat. Your only hope was the leader in figures would have a "splat fest" which usually did not happen.

Lisa

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
You think it's hard to take now? Try it way back in the days when figures counted. Your favorite skater would "blow" the figures and skate a brilliant performance only to wind up behind the leader in figures in a close contest - like Brian Orser behind Scott Hamilton. Talk about being on the edge of your seat. Your only hope was the leader in figures would have a "splat fest" which usually did not happen.

Your favorite skaters just loathed the figures, but he was such a brilliant skater! it was Monday morning, you knew he was on the ice now - but you had to wait until Tuesday to learn the results from your newspaper (if you were lucky!).

ice_magick

Rinkside
I love close comps! Close comps make me want to watch the tape over...and over...and over...and over...and over...
(Unless of course, it's Todd Eldredge or Matt Savoie that gets shortchanged)

Like 2003 Worlds for instance. I was there with my MITF instructor and 10 or 15 other skaters who had gotten a huge block of seats (I wasn't in the block but another person had decided she was tired and wanted to go home, so I got her seat *still squealing*). Totmianina/Marinin had just skated, and Julie, my instructor, was like "Oh, no, Shen and Zhao are not going to be World Champions"
Well. You know what happened. Shen/Zhao aced their performance, and Julie was standing up applauding just as much as anyone. She hugged me when the results were final. I really do think Shen/Zhao's freeskate was one of the most incredible moments in pairs (save for S&P's Oly skate) and it probably wouldn't have been nearly as emotional if TT&MM had, for example, crashed on ther throw. Yeah, S&Z would have had a standing ovation, but not while they were still skating. It was the closeness of the comp that gave it that extra...that extra little lightning jolt.
And, the true mark of a good competition...what do you think I did the first day home after six days of getting in at 2:00 AM ? Watched the tape. And then watched my favorite performances from the tape. And then just watched S/Z's performance. And then went on with my regular life. And then watched the tape again at the next available opportunity. Aah, the beauty of a close comp.