TV Addicts Anonymous | Golden Skate

TV Addicts Anonymous

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
How much tv do you watch? I always think I do not watch much, but really tonight I made a gallant effort not to turn the darn thing on and realized I watch a lot more than I thought.

I was thinking of going "cold turkey" and getting my cable switched off, but then I might miss the skating season. Heaven forbid! I am trying to think of ways to save money at the moment.

Still tonights' little "experiment" made me more aware of my tv habits. I managed to get through most of the evening without turning on the set!

windspirit

On the Ice
I haven't been watching much tv lately, but the Internet - that's a whole different story. But when my computer broke (two, or three times in its life) and I had to live without it for longer periods of time I found out that I could -- without any problems.

Lad, I was thinking about canceling my cable, too, but again, the skating season is around the corner, plus I'd hate to miss The Ice Channel (btw, when does it start? does it at all?) Wait till we have it and then ask the question how much tv we watch. :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I tape a bunch of programs, but often don't have time to watch. I am totally addicted to the "Home and Garden" channel. My favorites are "House Hunter", "Design on a Dime", and "Mission Organization".........42

Lucy25

Final Flight
I must admit I watch a lot of tv. Most of the time it is just on while I grade papers or clean the house. I do not watch too many contemporary sitcoms and certainly none of the "reality" shows, though. I find them an insult to my intelligence. I love The Food Network (although I hardly cook), gardening shows on HGTV (no, I don't have a garden), and TVLand. TV has always been very nostalgic for me; very comforting. Oh, I do watch The Simpsons, and two British soap operas that I get via a Canadian station, "Coronation Street" and "Emmerdale". I also admit to being one adult who loves Sponge Bob!

During the black out two weeks ago, I was going nuts without my TV. I really wanted to watch the news and *see* what was going on. Thank God I had power 14 hours later.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Ok, ok, I'll admit it. I have my tv on all day and all night. I don't care what anyone says. My ears ring so badly I can't stand it without noise and I don't like being alone so I see no reason not to have it on, even if I'm not watching it. I don't watch much of the current stuff. Hardly any reality shows. Usually go to Family or TVland or HGTV. I can't stand cooking shows and it really irritates me when I go to watch Victory Garden and they cook all that junk. :D I do like shows like the Today show, etc. I am also a channel jumper. If I don't like what's on, it gets switched.
:laugh:

windspirit

On the Ice
Lucy25 said:
I do not watch too many contemporary sitcoms and certainly none of the "reality" shows, though. I find them an insult to my intelligence. [...] Oh, I do watch The Simpsons, and two British soap operas that I get via a Canadian station, "Coronation Street" and "Emmerdale".
I'm sorry, but you find sitcoms an insult to your intelligence, but not soaps?

Edited to add: OK, I can see now that you might've meant only reality shows (an insult to your intelligence).

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
I have the TV on almost constantly once I get home from work - I think it's one of the pitfalls of living alone. Just need the noise. Since I use my laptop while viewing, I'm not paying a lot of attention to the TV. I really watch Amazing Race, Survivor and Friends. I also tape some soaps, but fast forward through most of it.

Since my dial up has been so slow, I haven't spent much time on the computer lately. I get a lot more done if I don't post.

Pookie

Final Flight
I usually don't turn my TV on till about noon but then it stays on the rest of the day. It usually stays on TLC during most of the afternoon. I don't even watch it that much. I just turn it on for noise until Trading Spaces comes on. In the evening, I turn to control over to my husband.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
mmandel said:
:laugh: I watch little TV these days, as I'm now a computer junkie. I really need a life. :laugh:

ME TOO!

Actually with school getting back in session it's one TV show a day and only can be online on weekends... *sigh*

Tuesday nights are the ones I'm worried about TV wise... especially with skating... it's going to be very difficult

but as dad says "that's what VCRs are for"

Lucy25

Final Flight
I'm sorry, but you find sitcoms an insult to your intelligence, but not soaps?
Yes, I meant the reality shows. Although most US soaps are pretty insulting, too. the two British ones I listed are much more "real" and are nothing like the American ones.