Who, if any, would you have given the gold to? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who, if any, would you have given the gold to?

Shoulda been gold...

• Paul Wylie, 1992 Olympics

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • Nancy Kerrigan, 1994 Olympics

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Mishkutenok & Dmitriev, 1994 Olympics

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • Elvis Stojko, 1994 Olympics

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Torvill & Dean, 1994 Olympics

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Chen Lu, 1996 Worlds

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Michelle Kwan, 1998 Olympics

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, 2001 Worlds

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Anissina & Peizerat, 2001 Worlds

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Sale & Pelletier, 2002 Olympics

Votes: 21 21.4%

• Total voters
I thought that Jamie and David were the clear winners. They skated their program perfectly. As for B&S, besides Anton's bobble, Elena's landings were shaky on both of the throw jumps. Plus they seemed insecure throughout, while S&P took total command of the ice.

It is true that Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze had more intricate and finely embellished choreography, while Sale and Pelletier's choreography was more direct and straightforward. However, this was in keeping with the music and the theme, and, to me, it is just a personal preference which style you prefer.

On any given day, of course, Elena and Anton might outskate Jamie and David. But on that day they didn't.

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Mathman

Antilles

Medalist
I voted for A&P in 2001. I may be a little biased because they are my faves, but I think they deserved it.

Most of these choices were so close, it often has to come down to what style you prefer. Glad I'm not a judge.

icenut84

Final Flight
Mathman said:
But then, too, in that case I think that Irina would have been ashamed to accept her medal, off such a weak performance in the LP.

Why should she have been ashamed? If the LP performances had been the same but Irina had won the short (like she should have, IMO), she would have been the overall winner, meaning she was overall *throughout all stages of the competition* better than the other skaters, therefore receiving gold. She wouldn't have been the first skater to win gold without winning the LP. Scott Hamilton in 84 Olys, Tara Lipinski in 97 Worlds, Wotzel & Steuer in 97 Worlds (?) and I'm sure there's many more. Besides, I think her performance was a lot better than a lot of people give her credit for. Sure, it wasn't her best, but she was hardly a human zamboni!

lulu

Final Flight
When I first watched Worlds 1996-I thought MK did a better job. However, everytime I watched the competition again I was drawn to Chen Lu's performace. Now I would give the slight edge to Chen Lu.

I prefered M&D's performance, but I've always understood the arguements for putting G&G first. However, I did think M&D deserved the gold on that night.

If there was a way to give dual gold medals- I would pick Michelle Kwan/Chen Lu and G&G/M&D.

lil lion 816

Rinkside
I was shocked in 94 when Torvill and Dean didn't win - I thought theirs was the superior program and skate. "Politics win again..." was my first thought after the marks came up...:(
I have the "problem" (if you want to call it that) of liking both pairs from SLC - both S & P and B & S. I think both pairs teams are outstanding and have their own strengths. I thought that either team could have won in SLC, but I really did feel that S & P won the *night*.

I apologize to Irina, Summer of Love, Icenut, and of course, Excidra, if he is reading this thread.:)

Mathman

mike79

On the Ice
There can be arguments made for all of the performances listed, but the one that really sticks out is A&P in 2001. They were so much better than FP&M it wasn't funny.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
mike79 said:
There can be arguments made for all of the performances listed, but the one that really sticks out is A&P in 2001. They were so much better than FP&M it wasn't funny.

ITA with that too.

Sadie

On the Ice
I definitly think Michelle should have won over Tara in 1998. I sure was disapointed :(

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I voted for M&D, B&S (hmmm, could I be biased toward Moskvina's choreography?), and A&P.

In case of B&S in '01 especially I felt that the Chaplin program was an absolute masterpiece, and was skated with such incredible feeling. At Olympics I felt it could have gone either way; but in '01, I would have given B&S the edge no doubt.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Voted for B/S in 2001. And there's no way S/P were robbed in 2002, period.

mzheng

Record Breaker
shine said:
Voted for B/S in 2001. And there's no way S/P were robbed in 2002, period.

ITA. I voted for B/S in 2001 too. Was Jammie or David singled a double axle but one of the judge didn't see? which cause 4/5 split? Under CoP no doubt B/S all the way.

Chele615

Rinkside
I think I voted for Nancy Kerrigan in 1994 (I voted a couple days ago and didn't reply..so I can't remember ;) )

Being from Massachusetts, I wanted Nancy to win no matter what. I remember being so upset that Oksana beat her out. But it definitely probably had to do with the fact that she was the home town girl and I had no idea who Oksana was at the time.

icenut84

Final Flight
mzheng said:
ITA. I voted for B/S in 2001 too. Was Jammie or David singled a double axle but one of the judge didn't see? which cause 4/5 split? Under CoP no doubt B/S all the way.

Jamie singled the double axel. I remember reading a quote later on from a judge on the night where he said he didn't see her single it, otherwise he would have given the gold to B&S, or something.

lulu

Final Flight
I remember reading a quote later on from a judge on the night where he said he didn't see her single it, otherwise he would have given the gold to B&S, or something.

I remember that too.

Bynx

On the Ice
I'm quite humored when some people say Michelle only won because of the extra triple, and yet know the same critisize her for not doing more of them!:laugh:

flutzilla

Rinkside
Great T&D quote!

icenut84 said:
** "I just wanted to say how thrilled I was with your performance in the Olympics. It was ice dancing at it's finest." - Gene Kelly in a message to Torvill & Dean, 1994. **

I LOVE this quote! And I completely agree that T&D should have won in 1994. Paul in 1992 is a close second.