Back from Lake Placid with a Salchow | Golden Skate

Back from Lake Placid with a Salchow

Figureskates

On the Ice
Spent a week at the adult skate week at Lake Placid and I am happy to report that I came back with a Salchow......finally.

Not the pretty thing in the world but at least it is recognizeable.

Coach was pleased with the results and immediately started me working on the toeloop. My goodness, do I feel gangly and akward with that one. Just what I need, a jump to remind me how much of a klutz I am. She did do one thing that seems to make it easier. She has me doing it as a combination with the waltz jump. This short cuts the inside 3 turn and I seem to be in better position when I plant the toepick. I am still having problems rotating on the right backout side edge before the jump. But hey, I thought the Salchow was impossible a few weeks ago so I am sure i will find that here.

My signature jump is still the waltz since I can get good height and distantance as I get a little more speed.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Congrats on the sal, figureskates! I find the toe challenging too - actually, my favorite jumps are the flip and loop.

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Figureskates - AWESOME! Congrats on the sal! tell us more about Lake Placid and how they went about doing the training.

Figureskates

On the Ice
The USFSA story is about the adult session they had in Hackensack, NJ.

The one I went to was at the Olympic Center in Lake Placid, NY. I wish they would do one about the Lake Placid camp.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Figureskates: I'm right there with you. I find the toeloop-waltz combo easier than the toeloop alone, possibly because I don't love three turns as a rule.

If you read my practice post, I made a big breakthrough this week with the picking position. I look forward to getting "back in harness" (LITERALLY!!!) on Tuesday and trying my "new" toeloop outside of the harness.

Congrats again on the salchow!!! Whoo hoo!!!

Hugs,

Yaz :)

Yazmeen

On the Ice
What specific tips were you given in Lake Placid for that salchow? I'm curious since I'm learning to improve mine. Thanks!

Figureskates

On the Ice
The biggest tip I got was to really check the right hip coming out of the 3-turn and to hold the exit out of the 3-turn a little longer than I have been. The hip check eas the biggest thing though and when I am practicing, every time I have problems invariably it is because I didn't check the hip hard.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
That's almost exactly what Paula did with me this morning--she really wanted me to "get the sensation" of my back inside edge before I jumped. Looks like we got the same advice!:)

Figureskates

On the Ice
Also, when you do do it right, there is a characteristic pattern on the ice that the front and toepick make on the ice before you jump. It should look somewhat like a triangle. If it just a long scrape, you didn't do it right.