Finlandia Trophy | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy

MasterB

Final Flight
Did Karen ZHou get hammered on every jump? Youtube is a little fuzzy but she looked like she kicked ***. The sal is the only jump that looked suspect to me. I thought for sure she would be ahead of Lapisto who had many problems with the jumps.

shine

Record Breaker
Loved her! That was such a great program. Her extension and body control are outstanding. The program felt like everything belonged together, everything was intended, beautiful to the music. I am very impressed right now. :bow: And her Tango is still my favourite of the season (even after having seen Stéphane's at the Golden Skate Awards - but he will probably improve it, he just didn't have much training time till now...).
I'd always had a soft spot for her, but Akiko Suzuki had become my official favourite lady after I saw that Tango program. :love:

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker

jamie

On the Ice
Did Karen ZHou get hammered on every jump? Youtube is a little fuzzy but she looked like she kicked ***. The sal is the only jump that looked suspect to me. I thought for sure she would be ahead of Lapisto who had many problems with the jumps.
5! triples were downgraded.

I thought the Kerr's were sensational. They have proved that they can do any style and this program oozes class. I think it's the best FD I've seen since Frida (D&S). I know the judges won't mark it accordingly, but if there are even two Free dances better than that, it will be a great year. I miss the Folk OD's :( I can see this years theme getting repetetive and the Kerrs obviously don't stand out in the OD as much as they did last year (how magnificent was that? ) but they seem to have so much energy and a spectacular ending! Fingers crossed for the rest of the season.

Uber congrats to Suzuki! She's 23 and stuck with it when others would have given up. The only Major International she has ever made was the 4CC's back in 2002! I wrote her off way back. With Ando's problems, she has a shot at the world's team this year. I think she deserves it! Japan are so spoiled in both men and women.

Jenna McCorkell dinged on the lutz in her short again, but showing great consistency. Keep it up Jen. She used to do a 3 salchow half loop 3 salchow combination. Now she doesn't even attempt the sal on it's own, which i find odd.

Poykio's jumps look horrific in the short. SHe couldn't rotate to save her life. It looked like she didn't even start to rotate until she reached the top of the jump. Both triple were obviously downgraded. I find it sad, because Poykio had such potential back in 2004/2005 but hey, at least she has a Euro silver (that should have been gold )

Overall, Finlandia proves to be another FANTASTIC start to the season.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Uber congrats to Suzuki! She's 23 and stuck with it when others would have given up. The only Major International she has ever made was the 4CC's back in 2002! I wrote her off way back. With Ando's problems, she has a shot at the world's team this year. I think she deserves it! Japan are so spoiled in both men and women.

She's awesome! With the pcs she received at this event, which I presume will only go up, she can even aim for no.2 spot!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
The Kerr's free dance was beautifully skated. I would love to see them on the podium this season.

flying camel

Medalist
Sorry I went far off topic. Back to Finlandia, congrats to Akiko for the great performance in her second competition of the season. I am a bit disappointed to see Poykio and Kahle not doing well, I hope they will do better in later competitions.

By the way, has Kahle switched her coach from Caroll/Congemi to Wong? At least that is how it looks from the photos at the icenetwork site.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Kahle switched coaches. It was rumored that she and Frank weren't getting along as far back as last years nationals. It's too bad she is still having trouble with her jumps. I don't thinks she is scheduled for any more internationals.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Lepisto has REALLY improved. So much more speed now, good spins, and more freedom in her skating. I loved that she has adopted "Poykio" style of skating, which is very nice and refreshing.

There's very nice deep edges in her skating, and solid connecting moves. Very Kwanish, which is such a nice relief in this COP era. Just look at that SP of hers, it's like a Finnish Kwan at 98 Olympics! Well Almost. I ditto that if she can get her Lutz and Flip, she would be world contender.

I just really appreciate the Finns for really keeping ladies figure skating strong. It is a pity that Germany, France, Ukraine, Hungary, and now Russia weren't able to maintain that high level of skating. But what I enjoy more is that the Finns put quality of skating, stroking, and edging first before jumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS2lMn05Vvw&feature=related

Last edited:
Jenna McCorkell dinged on the lutz in her short again, but showing great consistency. Keep it up Jen. She used to do a 3 salchow half loop 3 salchow combination. Now she doesn't even attempt the sal on it's own, which i find odd.

Just guessing: It could be a minor injury which is keeping her from doing the sal properly. If it's a sal chow, then it could be a groin problem; if it's a layback spin, it could be a hip problem. If you remember Kwan diminishing her tech each year, I believe it was the bothersome hip

Poykio's jumps look horrific in the short. SHe couldn't rotate to save her life. It looked like she didn't even start to rotate until she reached the top of the jump. Both triple were obviously downgraded. I find it sad, because Poykio had such potential back in 2004/2005 but hey, at least she has a Euro silver (that should have been gold )
I agree, very sad. Such a good skater since 2004 that I remember. Well, whatever it is botherin her, I hope it ends soon.

Overall, Finlandia proves to be another FANTASTIC start to the season.
These "b" competitions have certainly got more elite skaters interested. Why not?

Last edited:

TtonyV7

On the Ice
I think because of the COP system, more skaters are attending "B" events more as a pre-season test, and to work out any major "point" pitfalls.

Funny, back in the early 90's, "B" events were quite popular and garnered top skaters.

champs

Final Flight
thanks, flying camel, for the confirmation. Too bad if she and Caroll indeed did not get along well last year, and I hope she will have good chemistry with Ms. Charlene Wong. Wong coaches Mirai so I hope that training with Mirai will motivate her better and learn better.

Regarding the remark by TtonyV7 on Lepisto...
what I was thinking was that the way she moves her upper body somehow reminded me of Kwan's and also of Rochette's. I'm not a technical person in figure skating so it is just my impression and I do not know why I feel this way. But I certainly like it a lot. I think Laura also somewhat resembles Michelle and Joannie in their body shape (save Joannie's masculinity).

Does anyone know what the reason for KvDP's withdrawal from the free skating was. The Ice Network article about the Finlandia results mentioned his withdrawal but did not include the reason.

mzheng

Record Breaker
She is paying her due!

antmanb

Record Breaker
Jenna McCorkell certainly has improved and things are on the rise since working alongside Kevin Van Der Perren in Belgium. Jenna has learned a lot and seems more confident. Glad she kept her Harem SP that is a great choice for her and I love that straight line step sequence at the end and I love Jenna's jumping technique. I think she will get better!!

I can't remember the source but i'm fairly sure that Jenna and Kevin are both training in the UK this season after an acrimonious split with their coach in Belgium.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
The Kerr's free dance was beautifully skated. I would love to see them on the podium this season.

I have to say i was blown away by their free dance. The have always been beautiful dancers and great innovators and this program is such a good one for them. It has a real classical feel, while still using original music and choreography. Is it me or did i see some lines and entries to lifts that reminded me of Oksana&Evgeni? Maybe it was just the costumes but i also found myself thinking of Rakhomo&Koko (sp?) while watching that too. Loved it. I hope they are rewarded this year but won't hold my breath.

That is bizarre because the triple salchow used to be a very consistent jump for her, however her toe jumps are definitnely bigger than her edge jumps. Maybe she plans to substitute the second 2A with a 3S later in the season?

Ant

C_T_T_

On the Ice
I can't remember the source but i'm fairly sure that Jenna and Kevin are both training in the UK this season after an acrimonious split with their coach in Belgium.

Ant

Jenna is back in the UK with her previous coach who still had some input when she was in Belgium however I think Kevin is still based in Belgium but with a different coach. Obviously they both travel back and forwards to see each other though.