Moran Open -Rippon, Oda, Suguri and others | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Moran Open -Rippon, Oda, Suguri and others

MasterB

Final Flight
Perhaps "disappoint" is the wrong word to use. The thing with Oda is that he never turns out his legs or points his toes (not that every guy does) when he should. I am very much of the old John Curry school where form and body line are important for creating a picture on ice. He always appears to me to have clunky feet. I had hoped or expected that the move to Morozov would somehow address that, but at last it did not.

In addition, I SEE very little relationship to his music. When he skates, the music is mere background sound to his going from one end of the rink to the other. The best aspect about Oda are the wonderful deep-knee bends he gets on his jumps (ironic that he can't use those deep edges through the slow parts of his program ala Yuka Sato).

NOW remember... just because I see it this way doesn't mean everyone does. I am sure there are people out there who can see him over and over again.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
The thing with Oda is that he never turns out his legs or points his toes (not that every guy does) when he should.
If Oda doesn't have that quality, then who - in your opinion - does? (of the current men).

efreedman

On the Ice
Adam's Performance

Hello all,

I just watched Adam and Oda compete at the Moran Open in New Jersey. For all the work he is doing with Morozov, Oda might've as well stayed in Japan. The short program was beyond boring. He fell on the triple axel, but the rest of his jumps had their usual beauty to it.

Adam is more suited for the passionate Morozov choreography but he too failed at the triple axel. Adam will have a lot of pressure on him this year to perform well since his spectacular showing in Juniors this past season.

On a different note: Ando and Fumie both withdrew from the competition (bummer). Elena from Georgia skated poorly, in fact she skated worse than last yeaI will go back tonight and watch the long programs. I wish them all the best

FYI: Adam's mother indicated that he skated his SP to a new cut of the music for the first time that evening. I was wondering why he appeared to be lost during his SP and chalked it up to his potential apprehension about the triple axel and then missing it. This is another component that contributed to a less than stellar performance. It's still early in the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm glad to see Joelle skated well here too. She did a nice job at Liberty as well.

Does she have either the lutz or the flip yet?

nylynnr

On the Ice
Just to answer a few music questions above -- Murakami performed his short to "Night on Bald Mountain" and his long to "Variations of a Theme by Paganini." Gedeshvanishvili's short was to music from "Cabaret" and her long was a Latin medley featuring "Besame Mucho" and "Rumba d'Amore." IMO neither set the world on fire but the season is young.

Again, although he is perhaps not reminiscent of Curry -- the Curry of '76, anyway -- I was extremely impressed with Oda. He appears more powerful and certainly speedier than ever before. I think he could have a big year, relatively speaking. I know another thread has been opened on this topic so if this post is repetitive I apologize.

nylynnr

On the Ice
According to my (possibly flawed) notes, Joelle did a triple Lutz-double toe, and attempted a triple flip but had a sizable turnout on the landing. She really gave a good accounting of herself.

inskate

On the Ice
Perhaps "disappoint" is the wrong word to use. The thing with Oda is that he never turns out his legs or points his toes (not that every guy does) when he should. I am very much of the old John Curry (...)

Has someone stole my Nobu and replaced him with a doppleganger?

The balletic quality about his skating is one of the reasons I became a fan, and in his newer programs (AtW, Tosca) it would be difficult to find a frame when his posture leaves something to desire - great extension, great back and use of arms... I was especially happy that Miyamoto and Morozov chose to highlight that ability, because the two latest Wilson LPs consisted of crazy chasing from one end of rink to the other with no time left for catching breath, let alone to pay attention to the music (and the macho style of MI just plain clashed with Nobunari's soft style).

One thing that could possibly cause feet-related issues at this particular competition is the change of boots - he usually changes them around this time in the off-season and before he breaks them in his skating is a bit cautious; or a minor leg injury which happened often in the 06/07 season when he was trying to get his quads consistent.

But I somehow start to doubt that the issue lies in Nibunari's or Adam's performances - judging from the tone of your post and "nice" title, you just have something against the team Morozov and couldn't waste on occassion to put them in a negative light. It's "fans" like this that disappoint me, not the skaters who do their best.

efreedman said:
FYI: Adam's mother indicated that he skated his SP to a new cut of the music for the first time that evening. I was wondering why he appeared to be lost during his SP and chalked it up to his potential apprehension about the triple axel and then missing it. This is another component that contributed to a less than stellar performance. It's still early in the season.

Thanks for the info, efreedman!

And nylynnr, thanks for the info about the music choices. It looks like Murakami has 2 new programs. Too bad, I wanted to see the hip-hop one. :lol: Hopefully both he and Elene grow into their programs as the season goes on.

BTW, I think it would be nice to merge the 2 Moran Open topics into one and change the title - not only it's unpleasant but also ignores other skaters who are also talked about here. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's great! Is Elaine Zayak coaching her? Elaine was at the boards with Joelle at Liberty.

nylynnr

On the Ice
I did not see Elaine at Moran, however, as far as I know she is still coaching both Joelle Forte and Kristiene Gong, who was very good in junior ladies. I believe Steven Rice may have put Forte and/or Gong out at Moran; I think he and Elaine work together at times.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here are all the Senior and Junior "unofficial" results/scores from Moran (don't know whether or not official results will be published online).

SENIOR MEN FS
1 Nobunari Oda 132.67 [71.77 TES/60.90 PCS]
2 Adam Rippon 130.56 [68.42/63.14 -1 ded.]

SENIOR LADIES FS
1 Fumie Suguri (JPN) 98.52 [51.29/48.23 -1]
2 Joelle Forte 79.04 [40.42/38.62]
3 Elene Gedevanishvili (GEO) 77.54 [37.74/40.80 -1]
4 Amanda Gordon 67.55 [32.04/37.51 -2]
5 Jazmyn Manzouri 57.38
6 Zsa Zsa Riordan (POL) 44.59
7 Rachel Manning 38.56
8 Xiao Shan Liao 33.49

JUNIOR MEN FS exhibition
Daisuke Murakami (JPN) 118.32 [63.94/55.38 -1]
His music was Rachmaninoff’s Variations/Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (techno version at begininning and end).
Jumps: 4t (looked good!), 3a fall/ur?, 3f (hung on), 3r-2t, 3z, 3f-2t-2r, 3r, 3s-2t.

JUNIOR LADIES FS (jump notes for top 2)
1 Samantha Cesario 82.95 [45.15/37.80]
2a-2a, 3s-2t, 3t, 3s, 2f, 2z-2r-2r, 2a. Very impressive performance to “Turandot.”
2 Kristiene Gong 64.18 [32.18/33.00 -1]
2a-2t, 3z, 3s-2t, 3t-2t-2r, 3s, 3t fall, A (no points). “Phantom of the Opera.”
3 Kelsey Rowley 55.30 [26.28/30.02 -1]
4 Anastasiya Kononenko 51.05 [21.35/31.70 -2]
5 Camille Menendez 50.74 [21.83/28.91]
6 Victoria Calderone 49.70 [20.59/29.11]
7 Taylor Chang 47.66 [20.75/27.91 -1]
8 Jessica Wai (TPE) 46.71 [21.70/27.01 -2]
9 Molly Novello 45.59 [21.68/24.91 -1]
10 Tiffany Wu 44.62 [18.01/26.61]
11 Tasnova Rouf 44.08 [18.87/25.21]

SENIOR MEN SP