NBC Previews 2010 Olympics | Golden Skate

NBC Previews 2010 Olympics

psycho

On the Ice
Did I read that wrong or does it say that Jeff Buttle used to train (as in coach) Mao?! WTF, NBC. That's some quality journalism right there.

inskate

On the Ice
Did I read that wrong or does it say that Jeff Buttle used to train (as in coach) Mao?! WTF, NBC. That's some quality journalism right there.

I think that they either meant that she was training on the same ice as Jeff, which is true; or that they lost half a sentence and meant that "Asada had been training with Canadian and Men's World champion Jeffrey Buttle's coach, Rafael Arutunian".
And yes, wrong picture. :lol:

Here are two more previews:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-olyvancouver25-2008aug25,0,7984092.story
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/columns/story?id=3552429

merrybari

Final Flight
Slightly off topic - but do you think she is really thinking about coming back to eligibility for the Olympics?

So many others have said the same thing. Will be interesting to see which ones, if any, actually do it.

That said, if she does it would add a "name" to the list. IN the meantime tho' some of the skaters currently eligible could make a name for themselves this season and become a bigger draw that networks are looking for - apparently.

Sllippery

Rinkside
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/columns/story?id=3552429

Jeffrey Buttle:

Canada has had a long history of churning out great male figure skaters
-- Brian Orser, Kurt Browning and Elvis Stojko, among them --
but none was able to win an Olympic gold.
The last time the Winter Games were held on Canadian soil, back in 1988
in Calgary, Orser narrowly lost to American Brian Boitano in the famed Battle of the Brians.
Buttle is the reigning world champion, but if others can land quads,
he could extend the Canadian curse.

Go for it, Jeff!:agree:
Forget about 'Canadian curse'!!!

Hope the curse is not so sustainable though.

fourclover

On the Ice
That's Yukari Nakano, right? The other girls are cute, but she's a classic beauty!

http://web.icenetwork.com/images/2007/11/06/JaavXMlR.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

wow, beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. many asians would look at Yukari and see a typical asian face with a ton of pancake make-up. i like yukari as a skater though. and she did look gorgeous in that salmon dress in her lp. but hardly a beauty nor "classic".

ks777

Record Breaker
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

wow, beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. many asians would look at Yukari and see a typical asian face with a ton of pancake make-up. i like yukari as a skater though. and she did look gorgeous in that salmon dress in her lp. but hardly a beauty nor "classic".

she is very beautiful to me! So, many asians look at Yukari and think that Yukari has a typical asian face just because you did some research? or it's just your opinion but your opinion counts for many asians??

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Go for it, Jeff!:agree:
Forget about 'Canadian curse'!!!

Hope the curse is not so sustainable though.

The Canadian "curse" became a bit of a joke because the last few Olympics who ever carried in the (Canadian) Team flag at the opening ceremony usually did not do well in his/her event. Both Kurt and Brian were the Olympic flag bearers at their Olympics. However, it can't be true because speed skater Catrona Le May Doan carried the flag at the 2002 Olympics and she won the gold medal and defended her Olympic title. So obviously the curse has been lifted.

Go Jeff!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
um, I don't think Orser coming in second is really THAT bad...

though considering he had that AND he was the reigning world champ (same with Kurt if you think about it) he had a couple of curses on him ;) so with all of that he really did quite well ;)

saltypig

Rinkside
NBC previewed the 2010 Olympics on their website:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/vancouver2010/news/newsid=161427.html

They mentioned Mao Asada as one of the ones to watch. Trouble is, I think they used the wrong photograph =P

Hi I just noticed on the nbcolympic website link above there is a poll on the right side on What event are you looking forward to in Vancouver in 2010?

Obviously our choice would be figure skating. Perhaps if more people voted for figure skating in this poll NBC will show more figure skating. I know it's wishful thinking but you never know.

Last edited:

gourry

Final Flight
Perhaps if more people voted for figure skating in this poll NBC will show more figure skating. I know it's wishful thinking but you never know.

I just voted.;) NBC, plea~~se?

Speed skating is first and figure skating is second now.
And there is no short track. Hm...

lcd

Match Penalty
Canadian "curse"...? Maybe so... with Golds possibly earned and within sight, but not captured. That said, what WAS captured... in ways that seem to burn more memorable than any gold medal, was how the efforts were made, and the grace by which the other prizes (silver for Orser,... no medal for Browning) were received. I for one, remember Kurt's look into the camera, asking for a "hug" after a disappointing and flawed short program (botched triple flip) ... more than the eventual gold medal winner that year....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I for one, remember Kurt's look into the camera, asking for a "hug" after a disappointing and flawed short program (botched triple flip) ... more than the eventual gold medal winner that year....

"I guess the Olympics just aren't my thing... I felt so good out there."

the frustration and disappointment in his voice and statement gets to me everytime.

He doesn't need a gold medal, IMHO, though! :) He's better off without it!