Cast of SOI - 2003-2004 | Golden Skate

Cast of SOI - 2003-2004

:love: :love: :love: Yuka is such an obvious choice for lady headliner, good for SOI for finally coming to its senses!

Mathman

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I would love to see Yuka skate. This is the best decision SOI has made this season. Now, if SOI would only come to Fresno, I'm there............42

merfsk8s

Rinkside
Yuka is great - but, does anyone else think they need at least one more Ladies' Single skater?!

And, I'm confused - I thought Yagudin was coming back to eligible ranks, but he's listed here as a cast member for the whole season. Could someone clarify for me what his announced plans are for the season?

Does anyone else think they need at least one more Ladies' Single skater?!
I absolutely do. Maybe there are other skaters in the cast who are not listed.

But I see their problem. Who are they going to get? It is time to bring in a new generation of ladies, but the current stars have no intention of leaving the amateur ranks. To put on a real show SOI needs the likes of Sasha, Irina and Michelle.

I read somewhere that after the 1992 Olympics, Scott Hamilton sat down with his financial and marketing people and they told him, get Kristi Yamaguchi or fold. This is probably an exaggeration. But to land Kristi, who had already signed with Brian Boitano's tour, Scott had to buy out Brian's tour, fire SOI's chief choreographer and hire Sandra Bezik (Kristi's choreographer) in that role. (The only time I've heard about when sweet Kristi played hardball, LOL.)

Anyway, SOI had a down year last season. The emphasis on pairs champions just didn't pack them in the way they hoped.

About Yagudin, the policies of the ISU and the various national federations seem to be murky on who can do what and still retain eligibility. Yagudin got some kind of an exemption, but Todd Eldredge didn't -- which ticked Todd off something terrible toward the USFSA.

I realize that this doesn't address the question of conflicting dates.

But my personal opinion is that Yagudin, despite his determination, will not be physically able to compete this season -- and I hope, for the sake of his health, that he does not.

Mathman

Last edited:

ouridol

On the Ice
The link doesn't work for me right now..could anybody post here who the cast members are? Thanks so much!

I love Yuka's skating and style. Her edges and basic skating is one of a kind, and her artistry is amazing. I look forward to seeing her skate more! :D

As for Alexei, I'm pretty sure that he'll try his best to compete and he is listed for GP events. We'll just have to wait and see, but I think its fine either way.

Antilles

Medalist
Cast list: Alexei, Todd, Yuka, Jamie and David, Elena and Anton, Jenni and Todd, Kyoko and John.

I knew Kurt wanted to take time off for the baby, but I didn't realized how much time. He's not listed at all. Another lady would be nice, and I'd like to see a dance team.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Is the cast always that small? Also, I notice that Yuka's husband is not listed.

Vash01

Medalist
Touring with SOI does not make a skater lose eligibility. He/she would have to compete in one of the pro competitions to lose it. That is why Yagudin does not lose his eligibility.

However, the SOI tour does not let skaters take any time off. That makes it difficult to compete in eligibles, but it is possible to, if the skater is willing to handle it. If anyone can handle both (pro tour and eligible competitions), it's Yagudin.

I had read a while back that Oksana was going to be with SOI this year. Does anyone know why she is not on the list? Only one big name singles skater in the ladies discipline does not bode well, IMO. I like Yuka a lot, but I don't see her alone draw a crowd. When SOI was doing well, they had more top level singles skaters - Kristi, Katarina, Roslyn, and one more (e.g. Jill or Katia) in the ladies field. In the mens field they had Scott, Kurt, Paul, and one more (e.g. Stephen Cousins). The emphasis on pairs' last year did not work that well. It would have, if they had more top singles skaters too. Of course Yagudin and Todd both are big name skaters. They need one more top man and 2 more top ladies.

Most of all, the poor economy does not do anything to help SOI. People just cannot afford to pay that kind of money for tickets.

Vash

Last edited:

Skating is fun

Rinkside
SOI cast

There is still no official cast list on the SOI homepage, so I guess the skaters mentioned in the above thread are confirmed for the show on 1/30 with probably some additions.

Just like an earlier poster I have heard that Oksana joined the cast, I think I read it in BOI. I`m glad Yuka is in, she is one of the best female pros of the last decade. But I strongly dislike that there is no dance team and still four pairs...for how long are Meno and Sand going to be around???

How long is MK, Irina, Elena going to hang around and now it's Meno and Sands. Oh these aging skaters, why can't they just go off to the setting sun? In the last case, one can not even say, "Should turn Pro". What's the rush to get rid of skaters?

Joe

Lynn226

On the Ice
I'm surprised that Yuka joined without Jason. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but hadn't that previously been an issue with her joining SOI? I'm working from memory, so I may be incorrect . . .

The cast list seems small, but I thought SOI was going to utilize special guest performers this season.

rtureck

Final Flight
Good nice, if Yuka is skating, I will buy the tickets.

I miss Kristi, Tara, Lucindah and Katia.

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
If Kat is not returning to SOI full time, they needed a strong ladies single skater who would work well in the group numbers. I'm glad they chose Yuka and I will look forward to seeing her again.

Nan

bleuchick

On the Ice
the guest stars list

is not yet released. Only SOI will tell us who is on this list. I bet in the next several weeks. This is the list that is supposed to have Oksana, Brian, Scott or Kurt.

Scott - is really going to be involved in the business part of the show.

Kurt - is probably going to guest star. He has a baby now and his wife is expected to return to work(the National Ballet of Canada).

Brian - has shown some interest in ensemble numbers. Maybe.

Oksana - Mark Mund says so. In any case, we will wait until SOI confirms it or else Mark Lund is in great trouble :mad:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
Touring with SOI does not make a skater lose eligibility. He/she would have to compete in one of the pro competitions to lose it. That is why Yagudin does not lose his eligibility.

Actually, I thought that only non-Americans were able to skate in SOI and stay eligible. I thought that Americans gave up their eligibility if they joined.

I don't see Yuka as any kind of headliner. I would bet the majority of average fans who go to SOI will have no idea who she is. However, there is no other ladies skater they can possibly get. Oksana has the name, but right now she does not have the skills. Nicole Bobek has a COI contract and lacks the skills. I never thought of Lucinda Ruh as a good addition, but why is she no longer in the cast? Boy, no wonder Scott Hamilton is so upset with the lack of skaters going pro. His tour may just go down the drain because of it. (No, I am not an advocate for making a skater go pro. They should stay eligible as long as they want.)

astimegoesby

On the Ice
There's a little bit of fine print saying "Cast subject to change" on the bottom of that ad, so maybe not all the SOI cast members have been officially confirmed yet; that does look like a smaller-than-usual cast! I also wonder what, if anything, will come out of the "Oksana joining SOI" rumors from this summer (there'd certainly be room for her!)

I agree it's great to see Yuka back--IIRC, she wasn't invited back to SOI after the year she filled in for Katia because the powers that be didn't think she "fit in with their planned theme" (which, that year, happened to be that "wonderful" Gold Rap featuring Katarina, Kristi and Tara) :rolleye: I wondered why Yuka and Jason (who worked on the tour in some behind-the-scenes capacity that year) didn't skate a number together that year (when M&S were the only other pairs team on the tour), but with sooo many other great pairs teams in SOI now, they probably don't need another now! Which probably explains why there's no ice dance team in this year's SOI cast, either. :(

Alexei could easily do a couple of GP Events around the SOI rehearsal schedule (which has been shortened this year anyway), but he'd probably need a week or so off to compete at Worlds and I don't think the SOI powers that be would give him that time off. Considering Alexei just had hip surgery a few months ago (not to mention his more recent troubles!), I don't think returning to eligible competition and doing SOI at the same time (at least not at the level he skated at before his hip injury) is a very realistic goal for him right now. I don't think it would be possible for any skater to do both right now, for that matter!

Actually, aren't Kurt, Scott, Katia and Kristi all planning to make "special guest star appearances" in SOI this year (probably not all during the same show, unfortunately!) As much as it might take away from the group numbers that make SOI special, I'm afraid this is the route they might have to take if the tour hopes to stay afloat.

heyang

Record Breaker
I think I read something in the latest BOI where they said that special guest appearances would be used more heavily. Some of our most beloved skaters now have other priorities - family and children. Touring is tough. Kurt, Scott, Katia and Kristi have been skating for a long time and have started families. Can't blame them for wanting to stay in one spot (or fewer spots) for a while.

I don't think the guest appearances will hurt the show. If anything, they help the box office that keep the tour running. It was a lovely surprise for me when Katerina Witt made a special guest appearance at MSG, NYC in 1996. I know Scott's appearance in some shows on the East Coast and Katia's on the West Coast gave SOI a boost.

Yuka doesn't have the 'name' to draw the casual fan to spend $50+ on a ticket. She's a 1-time World Champion where the Oly' medalists didn't compete. Don't get me wrong - I really enjoy Yuka's skating, but it's the truth. Nancy and Oksana bowed out of World's after Oly's. Lulu couldn't compete due to a foot injury. Can't predict if she would've beaten Lulu in 95 or LuLu and MK in 96.

I've also enjoyed Yuka and Jason's pairs skating. When she skated with SOI in the past, I think they had skated as a pair for less than a season. They continued to practice while on tour. If they can do the bigger pairs moves, I think they would be competitive as US eligibles because of their chemistry and strength. Again - no drawing power in this pair and they have plenty of pairs on contract already.

Personally, I would like to see Brian Boitano as a guest. He said in an interview that he would be interested in appearing in SOI because of the creativity. If MK decides to go pro, maybe Brian could use his influence to have her sign with SOI!

We all have a dream cast, but the tour's a business too. Marketing has to have the 'names' to draw the masses - unfortunately, there aren't enought ardent skating fans to fill all the seats. The big names draw in the casual fan who hopefully becomes a true fan.

At last year's SOI, I had an on ice seat in Trenton NJ. The seat cost $95. Rena Roca sat on the wall behind me at the start of Studz. There were 2 little girls sitting next to me - they spent more time looking at the program than watching the show - unless Alexei happened to skate by. I think one of them was more into it since she was able to identify some of the other cast members, too.

BTW, I think it's been mentioned in the past that the USFSA does not sanction SOI due to it's contractual obligations to COI. I think it was part of the conflict between Todd and the USFSA last year. Yags can skate with SOI because he skates for Russia. Also, most of SOI's schedule occurs during the eligible season and since SOI is constructed of several group numbers, it would be difficult for the show to plan on the absence of several eligible skaters at the same time.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
Actually, I thought that only non-Americans were able to skate in SOI and stay eligible. I thought that Americans gave up their eligibility if they joined.

US skaters need to get approval from the USFSA to skate in Stars on Ice and remain eligible; this is not automatic. The irony of Eldredge's situation was that the USFSA gave him permission, but then dumped him.

NorthernLite

On the Ice
Mathman said:
SOI needs the likes of Sasha, Irina and Michelle.

Erm, or the current reigning Olympic champion. :) (And BTW I think if SOI had ever offered Irina a good contract, she would have taken it. So I'd bet she's not been considered. Sarah and MK *have* been wooed much.)

... to land Kristi, who had already signed with Brian Boitano's tour, Scott had to buy out Brian's tour...

I've never heard that re: Kristi. I'd heard that while BB was taking some time off, SOI just scooped up some of his key people and concepts from under him. BB was bitter for quite awhile, but he's said recently that if he returned to touring he'd be more interested in a theme show like SOI.

Anyhoo, to get the current ladies OOOOO gold medalist, perhaps Scott could buy Yale and make SOI 101 a requirement for her. ;)

I think SOI and COI are both facing crises - rising costs coupled with a crap economy, lack of stars, lack of focus to the shows.

Although I haven't been a fan of some of the choreo SOI's done in recent years, at least they've tried to come up with new ideas, like featuring the pairs. Whereas Collins' biggest innovation was adding the vaudeville-like acrobats and hoola hoop girl. :p

But a big-name female skater, preferably of recent eligible vintage, *plus* a full-time Kurt, is what SOI most needs right now. Without KB, they're in a worse situation than last year IMHO. (Plus they should have Roca & Sur or another great dance team for the discriminating fan.)

Many problems with the guest-star concept - including that I'm jealous of the towns that get the guest-star like Katia.