Entry list | Golden Skate

Entry list

I noticed O'Shea listed again to skate after a poor showing previously. That didn't happen for Tommy Steenberg last season.

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
I noticed O'Shea listed again to skate after a poor showing previously. That didn't happen for Tommy Steenberg last season.

Everybody knows that the US entries are preliminary until confirmed on the USFSA homepage. USFSA has yet to publish the teams for JGP #5 in Spain and JGP # 6 in Belarus ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
US skaters who finish in the top 4 usually keep their second assignments, while those who do not are replaced by one of the substitute skaters.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
There's often more leeway for U.S. pair and dance teams' JGP results. We'll have to wait and see if Cannuscio/Lorello's solid 5th place showing in Merano will result in a 2nd assignment for them in BLR.

Because USFS has to submit their entries for the last 4 JGPs (ESP, BLR, RSA, GBR) before the results from the first 4 JGPs are known, the second half assignments as listed in the ISU charts are all considered unofficial until they are confirmed by USFS.

Last edited:

ChrisH

On the Ice
Ladies: Melissa Bulanhagui, Brittney Rizo
Brittney has earned the right to a 2nd assignment based on what she has done in the past year despite of her disappointing performance in her 1st assignment. I was wondering though, how much communication there likely was between the USFS and Brittney after Merano? Does the USFS ask her if she is injured or has lost her jumps? Because with Karen Zhou and Laney Diggs (recently added as an alternate) they have skaters who are well qualified to fill in.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FYI, ChrisH, the USFS criteria for getting a second JGP assignment (at least for Singles) is finishing in the top 4 at the first JGP event. Brittney was fourth in Merano, just 1.46 points away from the podium, so she "earned the right to a 2nd assignment" based on fulfilling the USFS criteria, not "based on what she has done it the past year".

I don't see Brittney's result as 'disappointing' at all, and the USFS obviously doesn't either.

ChrisH, your constant negative digs at the US skaters are beginning to wear thin. I am hoping for both Maxwell and Secundy to skate very well in Ostrava and secure their second spots so that the "fill-in" issue is gone for good.

Last edited:

ChrisH

On the Ice
FYI, ChrisH, the USFS criteria for getting a second JGP assignment (at least for Singles) is finishing in the top 4 at the first JGP event. Brittney was fourth in Merano, just 1.46 points away from the podium, so she "earned the right to a 2nd assignment" based on fulfilling the USFS criteria, not "based on what she has done it the past year".
You are mistaken. Angela Maxwell was 3rd in her 1st JGP event last year and she didn't get a 2nd assignment.

I don't see Brittney's result as 'disappointing' at all, and the USFS obviously doesn't either.
You don't speak for the USFS. And I suspect that Brittney and her fans were disappointed with her result. She is capable of skating much better.

ChrisH, your constant negative digs at the US skaters are beginning to wear thin. I am hoping for both Maxwell and Secundy to skate very well in Ostrava and secure their second spots so that the "fill-in" issue is gone for good
chuckm, I think that it's apparent to most readers that I favor US skaters. Apparently you have trouble being objective with regards to Secundy and Flatt and so make mistakes. Marisa was a bit fortunate to get an assignment and has done a good job. There are, however, many other good US ladies who haven't gotten an assignment.

Brittney, as I said, earned a 2nd assignment. However, I hope that the USFS spoke to her after her disappointing performance in Merano and/or are monitoring her in case she is not able to perform. I actually expect that Brittney will win in Gomel if she isn't having problems.

Last edited:

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
You are mistaken. Angela Maxwell was 3rd in her 1st JGP event last year and she didn't get a 2nd assignment.

That because the US had 3 skaters at the JGP in USA. Apparently only the Two highest ranked girls got a second assignment. Though with the benefit of hindsight they should not have given Juliana a second asignment who placed 4th in her first JGP but Angela. But that has been discussed to death last season ;)

ChrisH

On the Ice
That because the US had 3 skaters at the JGP in USA. Apparently only the Two highest ranked girls got a second assignment. Though with the benefit of hindsight they should not have given Juliana a second asignment who placed 4th in her first JGP but Angela. But that has been discussed to death last season ;)
Agreed. :)

Looking over the records, Shepard was 4th in her 1st JGP assignment in 2005 and Oster was 4th in her 1st JGP assignment in 2004 and both didn't get a 2nd assignment. Interestingly, under similar circumstances in 2006, Oster was 2nd in her 1st assignment and she did get a 2nd assignment (which she won and went on to place 3rd in the JGPF). What is a fact is that since 2003, all of the USA ladies who have placed in the top 2 in their 1st assignment have gotten a 2nd assignment. And that is not written in stone as it's possible for a latecomer to finish 2nd or even 1st and just run out of time and/or slots. Getting an early slot depends on what the skater did in the past season(s) prior to the JGP. If a latecomer does finish 2nd or 1st, that may indicate that she was evaluated incorrectly and should have gotten an earlier assignment.

Anyways, let's just look at the fact that Brittney currently sits 14th in the JGP standings. Only 8 ladies will compete in the JGPF. To say that she earned a 2nd assignment based on her performance at Merano IMO loses sight of the forest for the trees. I believe that Brittney will earn a trip to the JGPF, but if she finishes 4th again, she certainly will not.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't understand your remark, ChrisH, about "not being objective about Rachael Flatt". Rachael Flatt is the reigning Junior World Champion, reigning US silver medalist AND reigning JGPF silver medalist. I suspect you badly wanted Caroline Zhang to medal at Nationals and win Junior Worlds, so you are the one who has a hard time being objective about Rachael Flatt.

As far a second assignments goes, for the past 3 seasons, the rule has been 4th or better, with the one exception being JGPs in the US: if two US ladies place in the top 2, then they are the only ones guaranteed a second assignment (and Maxwell knew last season that she wouldn't get a second event). For all non-US events, the 4th or better rule stands.

Obviously, if a skater is a substitute in the next-to-last JGP event and finishes 2nd and both slots are already filled for the final event, that skater can't get another event.

Since you don't like Brittney Rizo getting a second assignment, I suppose you don't like that Andrew Gonzales and Keegan Messing are getting second assignments. The reason that 4th place finishes are considered good enough is that skaters who finish 4th or better have a reasonable chance of making the JGPF.

Brittney currently sits 14th in the JGP standings. Only 8 ladies will compete in the JGPF. To say that she earned a 2nd assignment based on her performance at Merano IMO loses sight of the forest for the trees. I believe that Brittney will earn a trip to the JGPF, but if she finishes 4th again, she certainly will not.

Brittney could WIN her second event, which would immediately move her up to 24 points and she would almost certainly make the JGPF. It is also possible for her to qualify for the JGPF if she finished 2nd. Last year, Artur Gachinski, Doug Razzano, Alexe Gilles and Kristine Musademba all qualified for the JGPF with a 2nd and a 4th; Razzano's 4th place was in his FIRST event.

As you said, Brittney is capable of doing better, and I prefer to think that she will rather than that she won't.

Some people look at opportunity as a glass half full, others as a glass half empty. You seem to be one of the empty viewers, at least when it comes to skaters you don't favor.