Olympic Opening Ceremonies | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Olympic Opening Ceremonies

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
rtureck said:
I am a fan of West Wing, and the plot is developed into the president's daughter being kidnapped. This got me thinking about security issues.

I am sure the POTUS got a visit from his security people afterwards about taking a cell phone (an object that wasn't pre screened by the security guys).

OTOH, it make sense too, if this side line stuff was not spontaneous, but planned.:eek:

All athletes and spectators were screened before entering the stadium. My cell phone had to be turned on and proved that it was indeed a cell phone before they let me pass. Same with my digital camera (can't tell you how many pics I have of military boots because they always asked to take a pic and for some reason always aimed it downwards, lol). All equipment that passed through the gates, be those gates for the public or for participants, was examined. Security was extremely tight that night. IIRC, anyone seated around the President had gone through extra security and had been told in advance he would be there.

Dennis

Rinkside
I as an american found the tattered flag at the Olympics to be out of place. I have never and I may be wrong, seen a nation do such a thing! It was wrong and out of place.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Especially so soon after 9/11, I have trouble believing that someone just happened to find themselves next to the president at a crouded public event, whips out an instrument and can thrust it at him without being tackled by 50 secret service men. I think it was about as spontaneous as those "comedy" pieces co-presenters do at award shows.

The Olys are supose to be non-political. They are instead almost always uber-political. The US flag that was attacked by another nation: non-political? Not! Shamlessly inapproroiate.

registered

On the Ice
euterpe said:
It seems to me it is the height of discourtesy and impropriety to be chatting on a cell phone in the presence of the President of one's country. It is certainly not an action to be admired or praised.

ENOUGH SAID!

This is way too severe, Euterpe. Myself, being a mother, I can totally understand a teenager's excitement of finding out herself sitting next to the president! "Mom, guess what... Don't believe me? Here ya go!" :)

euterpe

Medalist
Too severe? It's a question of etiquette, and even of protocol in the presence of the most important office-holder in the US.

Now, imagine that you were a middle manager in a large corporation and the Chairman of the Board came to visit your group. While the CoB was talking, would YOU whip out a cell phone and call your significant other? Of course not! You wouldn't do it out of simple courtesy (and obviously because you wouldn't want the CoB to be annoyed at you). I would think the same courtesy would be due the President of the US.

Bad manners is bad manners. I have children, too, and I would be horrified if my daughter did what Sasha did. There is a time and a place for phone calls, and that was neither the time nor the place. Mind you, this is not a knock just on Sasha. Other US athletes had their cell phones out and busy too, and they were rude, too—it’s only that Sasha took it one step further.

There seem to be two questions going on at the same time, in regard to this famous phone call. First, was it really spontaneous or was it a scripted photo op for the President? Second, did Sasha show a lack of courtesy or merely youthful exuberance?

The second question is a matter of opinion, but I would be curious to know if anyone has any facts about the first. Personally, I thought it was cool. But maybe not if the whole thing was contrived by Mr. Bush's spin doctors.(?)

Mathman

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I consider what Sasha did to be youthful exuberance and nothing more or less.

As for cell phones, hubby and I were just in Chicago, me for business, him joining me to see the city for the first time. The day before my conference began, we went out on the beautiful tall ship "Windy" for a leisurely one and a half hour sail near Navy Pier. We were very relaxed and enjoying everything--EXCEPT the whiny woman next to us who decided that the "Windy" was the perfect place to have a long and annoying cell chat with a friend. I don't think she noticed anything about the sail, she was so busy droning on and on on her phone. I really wish idiots like this would realize that there is a place for cell phones, and its not in public where you annoy others. I always step out of the restaurant or leave the meeting room or otherwise if I get interrupted by my phone. My husband got a business call while on the ship and he walked away to a private spot to take the call as it was an urgent issue. I wish more people would do likewise. :mad:

Last edited:

registered

On the Ice
Mathman said:
There seem to be two questions going on at the same time, in regard to this famous phone call. First, was it really spontaneous or was it a scripted photo op for the President? Second, did Sasha show a lack of courtesy or merely youthful exuberance?

The second question is a matter of opinion, but I would be curious to know if anyone has any facts about the first. Personally, I thought it was cool. But maybe not if the whole thing was contrived by Mr. Bush's spin doctors.(?)

Mathman

I doubt Sasha was "rehearsing" the cell phone episode with the President. The phone call was done on the spur of the moment, one has to share the most precios moment of her life with one's mother, that's what cell phones are for.

I think it's good in general, when VIP politicians are reminded that they're human beings too, and I'm sure President haven't suffered in any way by chatting for few seconds with the mother of a young Olympian. (Most likely all athletes, that were in the vicinity of Mr. Bush were checked in some way by the Secret Service people, and he didn't think he was in any danger by accepting the phone from the hands of a little girl, who was sitting next to him.)

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Scripted photo op? No. Did Sasha know he was going to be sitting there? Yes. I seem to remember her even mentioning that fact somewhere in an interview or article. I'd have called my mom too! I don't have a problem with it, but then again I'm not a formal person. I turn my cell off at the movies, funerals, ballet and such, but to turn it off and not use it during a celebration is not something I find necessary. Again, that's just me. The organizers of the Games, had they not wanted cell phones used, would have specified such beforehand. There was a list of what could and could not be brought into venues. Cell phones were not on the list for banned items. (Cameras were on the list for a week and 1/2 at the official practice venue (Steiner) due to a volunteer getting in Michelle's face, but never cells phones.) Therefore, I think it was fine to carry and even use one during the ceremonies.

A little bit off topic, but the other thing I thought was funny in 2002 was in the opening and closing parades, so many of the athletes had video cameras, taking videos of themselves as they marched along, etc. Modern times.

Mathman

Panther2000

On the Ice
For me I liked the 1996 Alanta Sumer Olympic Cermony the Best. It wasn't too over the top. & I loved when they did the curtain background with all the poses for all the events. I though that was great. SLC I did not care for at all. I think that they went over the top & too much focus on small kids( sorry that is just me, ) Don't get me wrong some parts of SLC was ok. But, Atlanta I think was the best

Pookie

Final Flight
For me I liked the 1996 Alanta Sumer Olympic Cermony the Best

That was one of my favorites too. The entry of the athletes up the ramp was so dramatic and beautiful.

Calgary was also one of my favorites. I thought it was colorful, fun and very welcoming to the world.

S

SkateFan4Life

This is not meant as a criticism - it's an observation. I remember many of the Olympic opening ceremonies, and in past Olympics, the US team marched in in almost military-like precision. Straight lines, eyes ahead, without breaks in lines.

Somewhere along the way this changed. Now the trend seems to be for the athletes to carry video cameras & shoot footage of the crowd, themselves, and ceremony, to gawk at the roving television cameras, give high-fives to each other, and jockey for good positions along the line. Sometimes the "line of march" has been, well, pretty sloppy. The cameramen find the star athletes, focus on these individuals, and they respond in kind.

I think there's a happy medium. Olympic athletes aren't robots, and they aren't frolicking at a frat party, either. I'd like to see them show their genuine friendliness and joy at participating in the opening ceremonies while maintaining a sense of dignity in the process.

Again, folks, this is not a criticism of our wonderful Olympic athletes. It's just my own observation.