Are you a Michelle Kwan fan? | Golden Skate

Are you a Michelle Kwan fan?

S

singer4life02

Are you a Michelle Kwan fan?

I just want to see how many Kwan fans are on the board.
GO MICHELLE!! :)

Singer

I

icenut84

Re: Are you a Michelle Kwan fan?

What, nothing in between? I'm not a Kwaniac but I do like her skating a lot.

R

RED DOG45

Well go figure I bet you guys know what decision I made...:D :eek:

S

sk8ing lady2001

I do like other skaters though Michelle is my favorite. Therefore, I consider myself a fan of Michelle. :D

M

mmandel

:lol: :lol: What do you think? :lol: :lol:

E

eltamina

RedDog

17:5 out of close to 1000 posters IMHO is statistically insignificant. MM, what is your formal mathematical take on this.

BTW, RD, I respect your opinion, and this is your free speech right that GS is MKFII, if you feel so strongly about it, since you put that into quite a few posts, why not just put that in your sig line ;)

R

RED DOG45

Re: RedDog

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>BTW, RD, I respect your opinion, and this is your free speech right that GS is MKFII, if you feel so strongly about it, since you put that into quite a few posts, why not just put that in your sig line[/quote]

Sorry, I take back my comment, must have had a bad moment today...in the other forum that is.

L

Lynn1951

I wasn't going to vote, but figured what the heck! Yes, I am a Michelle Kwan fan and always will be and this doesn't mean that I don't/won't/can't enjoy other skaters. I can feel that Michelle has qualities such as flow and heart that bring me much joy, I can feel that Sarah is a wonderful consistent skater, I can be in awe of Irina's power and jumping ability, I can like Sasha's extention and flexibilty, I can appreciate Fumie's soft lyical skate, or Onda's triple axel attempts, or AP's elegance on ice, or Jenny's personality on ice And the list goes on and on....in other words even though I am a Michelle Kwan fan, I have a variety of of skaters who I love to watch because I'm a fan of figure skating.

Lynn

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:purple;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">I'm a fan of any skater that skates well, including Michelle. I appreciate a wonderful performance and feel fortunate to be able to watch it.</span>:D

M

mathman444

Re: Inferential statistics

Now it's 22 to 6. That's 79% to 21%.

The <em>standard error</em> ( S.E. = sqrt[p*(1-p)/n]*[(N-n)/(N-1)] ) is 9 percentage points. Thus, if this were a random sample, we could be 95% confident that the true percentage of Kwan fans on Golden Skate is

79% +/- 18%

That is, somewhere between 61% and 97%.

However, this sample is not random, it is self-selected. This throws statistical analysis out the window, because the people who tend to vote represent the extremes. Presumably the majority of people like Michelle just fine but are not insanely worshipful -- Realtor Gal, for instance -- and don't vote at all. We might have more interesting results if there were a third (middle) category. Or even a five-fold gradation, along the lines of Red Dog's "Kwaniac scale."

Mathman

S

Show 42

Re: Inferential statistics

I love to watch Michelle skate, she is my current favorite, but I love to watch all figure skating (even ice dancing occassionally).......there are no skaters that I would consider a "refrigerator break"...........42

B

BronzeisGolden02

Michelle and Chen

I would say that I have enjoyed figure skating since I can remember, but I didn't become a hardcore skating fan until 1995. And the main reasons for me being so entranced by this sport were and are Michelle Kwan and Chen Lu, two of the greatest artistic skaters to ever grace the ice in my opinion. Since then, I have come to enjoy other skaters (such as Slutskaya, Suguri, Eldredge and Yagudin) but Michelle would have to top my list. I probably became a major fan of hers after seeing her lose in Nagano. It wasn't because I thought she should have won (which I didn't), but it was the way she handled losing the most important event in her career. She didn't make nasty comments before the medal ceremony, or cry "I WAS ROBBED!", nor did she spray Mickey Mouse with obscenities, she simply accepted the silver and moved on.

E

Emerald2000

Re: Michelle and Chen

Lol Joe :lol:

Yes I'm definately a Kwan fan. :D

J

Joesitz

Re: Michelle and Chen

Still I don't know what prompted the question. You know how it is when your in a group psych situation. The questioner is asked 'what's behind your question?'.

Joe

S

starshinexavier

I'm not a fan. Never have been, never will.

P

Pookie

Yes, I am. She reawakened my interest after it waned a bit.