Are you a Michelle Kwan fan? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Are you a Michelle Kwan fan?

S

SHINE2002

Re: YES, I'm NO Kwan fan!

No, you are not ignorant and narrow-minded just because you don't like a certain skater. They are plenty of non-fans of Michelle out there and I don't have any problem with the majority of them. It's the way you deny all the NA skaters (MK being your main target) and their worthiness in the sport that makes me want to puke. There are skaters I don't particularly care for, but there would still be times- although rarely- when I find myself impressed by a certain performance of theirs.
As for the skaters I just can't stand, I don't really talk about them because I know I will say nothing positive and there's zero point in repeating myself over and over like you do. But no matter how much I dislike a skater, I don't deny myself a chance to look hard for what's the special something that others may find in them.
The thing is, I don't hold <strong>pre</strong>judice against skaters based on their nationality, and I certainly don't call the Russian fans who happen to find P&T wonderful (while most of the NA fans find boring) "just being patriotic and patriotic only", because that alone sounds NARROW-MINDED and IGNORANT.

Get it?

S

SHINE2002

And no, Michelle's new name wouldn't change what I think about her skating. As I already stated, my adoration of a skater isn't based on her nationality. FYI, my favorite skaters live in all parts of the world.

M

mathman444

Aw, thanks, Eltamina. Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast, and all that.

BTW, that is a frequently misquoted aphorism (many people think it's "savage <strong>beast</strong>"):

"Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast,
To soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

--from The Mourning (not "Morning", LOL) Bride, Act 1, scene 1, by William Congreves.

Rules for all:

1. Please don't bash your fellow posters, or call them nasty names, however much you might disagree with their opinions.

2. If you <strong>must</strong> say something critical of a <strong>skater</strong>, be sure that you are analyzing his or her <strong>skating</strong>, not casting aspersions on his or her character, pesonal appearance, mental state, and the like.

We have worked hard to build up a sense of community here at Golden Skate. Let's keep it up.

There -- my attempt at "softening rocks and bending knotted oaks, LOL."

Mathman

E

eltamina

Young punk assistant professors might tell you

MM, tenure full professor

I believe some young punk assistant professors might ask you "You forgot to include something in your rules"

Lets put the following in a Pt frame first

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Rules for all:
1. Please don't bash your fellow posters, or call them nasty names, however much you might disagree with their opinions.

2. If you must say something critical of a skater, be sure that you are analyzing his or her skating, not casting aspersions on his or her character, pesonal appearance, mental state, and the like.[/quote]

IIRC a few months ago, someone insult a poster / his/her <strong>family</strong> with a mental illness diagnosis "OCD, it must be hereditary"

Where does that fit in your frame?

Now back to music, indeed it is difficult to remain irritated when one is listening to Beethoven's missa solemnis.

G

Germanice

YES!!! I'm NO Kwan-fan!!!

Thanx, Eltamina and Mathman, for your kind posts - and I really mean that!!! Let's just leave it like that for the time being. You'll never change me into a Kwan-fan; on the other hand I'll never convince anyone here that Kwan actually is not that great and special, at least not on the other side of the ocean ... and after all I promised to be a nice girl here, didn't I? ;)

Shine2002, seems we have to get along somehow, because I like it here and want to stay! I won't comment anything you've posted, just one: You don't have to be Northamerican to find P/T extremely boring ... :evil:

Anke

W

WindSpirit5

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>2. If you must say something critical of a skater, be sure that you are analyzing his or her skating, not casting aspersions on his or her character, pesonal appearance, mental state, and the like.[/quote] OK... I'd like to ask a question: does it apply only to discussions about Michelle? And why I ask - a few months ago there was "Yags is a schmuck" thread. I asked then if it's OK to write something like that, and all I got was "learn to take criticism of your favs" from a few people. If I remember correctly you did participate in the thread, didn't address my question, though. Since I didn't like the whole thing I left the GS for some time and let people have their "fun". And by the whole thing I mean the thread itself and the double standard. Some time before the mentioned thread there was another about Michelle. IMO it was not even close to the schmuck thread, but someone asked the moderators to check it and, <em>bam</em>, it was closed. But the word schmuck was justified, explained as "criticism". So, what are the rules, really? And who's above them?

Btw, Michelle herself has nothing to do with it, of course, just the fact that you (and I believe at least one more moderator) are big Michelle fans.

M

Mathman3

To Windspirit

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I asked then if it's OK to write something like that[/quote]No, that was not OK. I am sorry that I did not object vigorously to that kind of language directed at Alexei. I'm still learning this moderator business. I'll try to do better next time.

Mathman

E

eltamina

Lets go off topic

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I'll never convince anyone here that Kwan .....[/quote]

You put an effort every time you post though. ;) Actually, after reading your messages for years, I may conclude that is kind of your passion Anke. ;)

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>what are the rules, really? And who's above them? [/quote]

When a non Kwan/ Cohen fan can insult another poster and family with the "OCD/ hereditary" comment, IMO that is <strong>approaching</strong> the line of "above them"

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I believe at least one more moderator are big Michelle fans. [/quote]

I am sure you know that one of the moderators here is the administrator of 2 Sasha Cohen message boards, and another moderator here has been very open about being a non Kwan fan. So I think the fanship of the GS moderators is diverse. Anyways, what does the fanship of moderators has anything to do with the rules here?

G

Germanice

Schmuck?

Sorry for being OT ;) ; but what exactly is a "schmuck"??? My dictonary let me down here ... does it have the same meaning than "smug"? And can I still find this ominous thread here?

Anke

M

mathman444

Re: Schmuck?

"Schmuck" is a Yiddish word for "penis." In context, it means something like "jerk." These fine linguistic distinctions were discussed in the thread, IIRC, LOL.

I searched for the thread in the Golden Skate archives, which go back to December of 2002. So I think it must have been before that.

It's a good word to have in your vocabulary when you post on all those other figure skating boards, LOL. JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

Mathman

W

WindSpirit5

Re: To Windspirit

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>No, that was not OK. I am sorry that I did not object vigorously to that kind of language directed at Alexei. I'm still learning this moderator business. I'll try to do better next time.[/quote] Thanks, Mathman. I appreciate your response.

Btw, the tread's from April:
pub94.ezboard.com/fgolden...2416.topic
You could see I was miffed by the mistakes I made in my first post. ;)

W

WindSpirit5

Re: Lets go off topic

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>So I think the fanship of the GS moderators is diverse. Anyways, what does the fanship of moderators has anything to do with the rules here?[/quote] I was wondering that myself, if you haven't noticed. Do we need also a Yags fan as a moderator in order to prevent or close threads like that, because I'M SURE that a thread about Michelle being called a "condescending b*tch" wouldn't fly (where b*tch could be justified as well as the schmuck; after all it's allowed even on a national tv). And I'm sure because I've seen much more innocent threads about Michelle being closed. Hence my question about the rules.

Anyway, for all I care someone can even think a skater I like is devil incarnate or whatnot, but trying to pass off name calling as a valid criticism is an insult to intelligence.

Btw, I've see some valid criticism here, for example, of Sasha Cohen's skating, and as her fan I surely can appreciate it.

E

emiC

Universal rules

This is Friday night, my brain is scrambled, so I dug up something from a year ago.

Universal rules of message boards (of course GS is excluded)

1. My favorite skaters are bashed unreasonably and most frequent
2. My favorite skaters never receive any richly deserved credits
3. The moderators are too easy on the detractors of my favorite skaters, double standard
4. My least favorite skaters received the most undeserved praise
5. I received unfair bashings from the fans of my least favorite skater for voicing constructive criticism
6. The moderators go out of their way to protect my least favorite skaters
7. My favorite skater WUZ robbed in cheesefests, nationals, qualifying rounds, worlds and Olympics
8. My least favorite skater receives gifts from judges at my favorite skater’s expense
9. I am fair minded about my least favorite skaters, I don’t dislike them, I am just neutral about them, of course all the fans of my favorite are equally fair minded, in another word, we are skating fans, not skaters fans.
10. Fans of my least favorite skaters blindly worship their idols, they are not skating fans they are just members of a cult, and they rule the internet.

G

Germanice

OMG!

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Schmuck" is a Yiddish word for "penis." In context, it means something like "jerk." These fine linguistic distinctions were discussed in the thread, IIRC, LOL. I searched for the thread in the Golden Skate archives, which go back to December of 2002. So I think it must have been before that.
It's a good word to have in your vocabulary when you post on all those other figure skating boards, LOL. JUST KIDDING!!!!!!
Mathman. [/quote]
Thanks, mathman! Yeah, I'm learning real astonishing things here, this certain
p-word in a Kwan-thread, would you believe!!! :eek: :cool: :lol:

Anke

W

WindSpirit5

Re: Universal rules

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Universal rules of message boards[/quote] 25# rule of message boards: When you ask a serious question you can always count on someone to turn the whole thing into a joke.

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I know Michelle's popularity in Europe doesn't compare to her popularity in the U.S. and in Asia, but according the crowd reactions in Europe, Michelle seems pretty appreciated there.

In 1995, she got the only standing ovation in Brimingham.

In 1996, Paris really enjoyed her in the GPF LP.

In 1997, the Swiss crowd seemed to give her a great crowd reaction in the LP and especially her exhibition to "Winter"

In 1999, considering how she skated at Worlds, the crowd in Finland were very loud for Michelle. Her exhibition to "The Red Violin" seemed to be really appreciated there too.

In 2000, Nice, France gave her a huge standing ovation after her skate and she got a loud reaction when her name was called before she skated.

I know that the above probably doesn't mean anything, and it has been three years since she skated in Europe.

Do you guys think if Michelle kicks some serious butt in Germany in 2004, that the Europe might become big fans of MK?

J

Joesitz

Thiz - You mentioned so many western European Countries and also Finland but you did not mention Russia, Belorus, Ukrain, Uzbekistan, Georgia, etc.

How are the Eastern Europeans on MK? If you know. How are they on IS?

Joe

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

true Joe. The only time I know Michelle competed in any Eastern European country was in Russia for GWG 1995 and that Centennial on Ice in 1996 where she placed third (I heard she was sick there).

I haven't seen any of those, so I don't know how the crowd reactions were.

4dogknight

Re: Germanice

You may read Yiddish words in a lot threads so here's a little help - List of Yiddish Words and Expressions

www.pass.to/glossary/Default.htm

Sometimes during a discourse there's no other way to express yourself unless you do it in Yiddish ...... or Latin.

4dk