Non Podium Males (up till when?) | Golden Skate

Non Podium Males (up till when?)

J

Joesitz

Non Podium Males (up till when?)

Which among the following do you see as becoming a top 5 skater before 2006 or sooner in an upcoming Worlds. (Individual GP events not to be counted.)

M

mpal2

Re: Non Podium Males (up till when?)

I thought that Jeff Buttle really had a great following until I realized that I had the first vote. :rollin:

Anyway, I had a hard time choosing between Stephane Lambiel and Jeff Buttle. I ended up with Jeff, because Stephane's strengths tend to be in the spins and that doesn't help anyone move up that far. Jeff is fairly new from what I remember and he seems to be pretty consistent. He should move up the ranks fairly well.

Ryan Jahnke didn't make it because of his age. He's been around the US scene for awhile. I was happy for his big break at 2003 Worlds, but the men's competition at Nationals was wild and if everyone had skated decently, the 3rd spot would have gone to Weir or Savoie.

Klimkin and Sandhu didn't make my list because they are too inconsistent. It almost seems as if they are too busy being artistically different that they lose the control over their technique. They definitely have the potential, but they just have to keep it under control.

M

mathman444

What about Brian Joubert? Or do you consider him "already arrived?"

I have not given up on Johnny Weir.

Mathman

J

Joesitz

Mathman - I think Joubert is up there with Yags, Plush, Tim and Takeshi. His poor showing at the Worlds was a bad drawer on the qualifying rounds. He's still among the elite, imo.

Weir has to work hard at anything he can get to practice his routines in front of an audience. There are no GP assignments for him, in fact, there are no international contests for him. The USFSA really came down on him. I'm just hoping for burst of energy at the Nats and he lands on podium.

Joe

M

mathman444

Joe, do you think that the USFSA is deliberately trying to "send a message" to Johnny for giving up in his free skate at Nationals?

MM

L

Lanechka

Johnny. I loved his SP at Nationals and felt horrible for him with that horrible crash... but Nationals was insane. I think that he'll do better this year. :)

<strong>-Lanie</strong>

J

Joesitz

Mathman - Decidedly. That leaving of the ice during LP didn't ring well for the USFSA. I'm taking his side that he was injured but I'm not convinced. I'm not taking the side of the USFSA for punishment. It doesn't fit the crime.

I think it'll be Tim and Mike plus: Janhke, Savoie or Weir at the US Nats. But no strong predictions. I would like to see Johnny up there.

Joe

S

SHINE2002

sandhu all the way

Call it wishful thinking if you want, I'm voting for my boy. Emanuel Sandhu!

L

Lynn226

Re: sandhu all the way

Shine, ITA. I think Emanuel Sandhu is great, too!

L

lilicedancer

I think that if Johnny Weir skates clean he has a definite shot. Ryan Jhanke (sp) I adore but I don't think he has the consistency or youth. It's a long shot, but I think if Matt Savoie got it together he could challenge for top 5 spot.

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

I said other... my hopes are on Matt Savoie

L

lil lion 816

Um - I'm putting my money on Ryan Jahnke. I guess I'm of the opinion that "older (excuse me, more <em>mature</em>) is better". ;) But seriously - I was thrilled with his breakthrough this year and hope that his jumps become as consistent and reliable as a stopwatch. :) That's all he needs - he has the rest of the goods.

My money is also on Matt Savoie - hopefully he will be injury-free this year and will also have a chance to rise.

<I would love to see all of the lads mentioned in the poll choices rise to become podium threats, actually. How exciting that would be!>

S

Spree2spree

ILIA KLIMKIN!...his good technique and his brilliant steps, moves, artistic skating and his different way of skating will leed him to the top sooner or later..

J

jldz23

I am voting for Alexander Abt, yet again.
I think he will finally show the skating world that you can't count him out!!

Janet

M

mike79

Re: European skaters

Sandhu, with Klimkin right up there as well.

R

RealtorGal

Re: European skaters

<span style="color:blue;font-family:georgia;font-size:medium;">If Sandhu ever stands on the World podium, I'll eat my real estate license--literally! Never going to happen, my friends!</span> :rollin: :lol: :rollin: :lol: