Choreographer? | Golden Skate

Choreographer?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I really want to get into some choreographic work and was wondering if anybody has any tips on how to do that. I thought about advertising in Skating magazine, but traveling is not something I want to do right now and that kind of advertising would bring me clients from all over the nation. I don't know if I should try to get a job as a coach and work from there....

mskater93

Record Breaker
To be honest, I don't think people who saw an advertisement and didn't recognize your name would contact you to choreograph a program. This sport mostly works via word of mouth and networking. You'll need to start small, maybe asking some of the coaches you know well if you can do choreo for their basic skills or low level FS kids. Once people start to OOO and AAH over your programs and they find out you did them, you will have people contacting you.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Working as a coach is a good way to get into choreography work. Also in Canada (I'm not sure about other countries) you pretty much have ot be a cerified coach to work with competative skaters, and it's highly recomended to work with test level skaters.

icedust

Rinkside
Yes working as a coach will help expose you to clients as they will be your students. You should also ask other coaches if they need help with their younger skaters' choreography, this will get your programs known albeit on the little-ones circuit (have to start somewhere).

Apart from that think about dance training too, always looks good on a choreographers resumé to have ballet/jazz/tap/hiphop (anything really) training too. Just get involved with as much as you can and keep your eyes open for oppertunities.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

silverstars

Spectator
One of my friends at my rink turned 18 and asked her coach if she could help choreograph one of her younger skater's (think 6 or 7 years old) programs. That, on top of coaching some part of the time and helping to teach a dance class given at our rink, really helped her get her foot in the door. She's done a few more programs at our rink, and is starting to get more attention from the other coaches. Definitely use whatever contacts you have!!