Should the "Older" Gals Go Pro? | Golden Skate

Should the "Older" Gals Go Pro?

Should the "Older" Gals Turn Pro?

• Only MK should because ...... (explain)

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • All of them should because .... (explain)

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Some of them should because .... (explain)

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • None of them should because .... (explain)

Votes: 47 69.1%

• Total voters
We're talking about Michelle, Irina, Elena S, Elena L, Angela, Amber getting away from the Eligible Ranks to join the Pros.

windspirit

On the Ice
Some of them -- if they can't keep up with the younger skaters. If they're still at the top of their game, IMO there's no reason for them to quit.

ritymeez

Rinkside
I think that none of them should be out of eligible skating because the skaters themsleves still think that they have a chance to win or prove themselves.
Anyway, I think that the skaters know when to hang up their skates (maybe when they are continuely outscored by the younger generations).

lavender

Record Breaker
Of course no one's going to explain why only Michelle should go pro because I'm sure it's a ridiculous explanation. Isn’t she about younger than all of them?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Why should they? Once they turn "pro," they lose their name recognition and will, consequently, make LESS money than as amateurs! If Michelle, for example, turned pro, I can assure you she'd lose her valuable endorsement contracts. As long as she keeps competing (and winning), then the sponsors will continue to renew her conracts.

mpal2

Final Flight
I said that none of them should. I love watching the "old" ones blow the competition out of the water.

patsue47

Rinkside
If they love competing and can still "hold their own" against the younger skaters why should they quit? Their bodies will tell them when it's time to go. Frankly, I'd much rather see these "older gals" skate than some of the new ones--the older women bring a dignity and maturity to their skating that is much more pleasant to watch.

patsue - That's the way it is in all the forms of ART: dignity and maturity. It just takes time to develop these. The young ones can only mimic these traits.

Joe

Lisa

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
patsue - That's the way it is in all the forms of ART: dignity and maturity. It just takes time to develop these. The young ones can only mimic these traits.

Joe

Well said. :D

Pookie

Final Flight
I said none of them. I agree with Joe and patsue. I enjoy watching a mature skater much more than a "baby ballerina".

E

Eva-Elena

I don't think anyone "should" go pro, unless they'd want to themselves of course.

Ximena

Final Flight
I like (at least in the ladies event) when the "old ones" wins. I agree with Shine,some of them should but not because of their age. I think Irina should (and I ADORE Irina) but it seems that after all this years, skating is start to develop some health problems in her, her chronic bronchitis (I'm not saying that skating is the only reason why she has develop that but it's not helping her either). In the other hand, Irina supports finnancially her family so maybe a pro life would not allow herself to that for the upcoming years.

Xmenia - Interesting you said that Irina could have developed bronchitus from skating. I remember a hundred years ago, that skaters were discussing that too much skating in an indoor rink could bring pulmonary problems to some skaters. Apparently the chemicals that make the ice are the source of the theory.

Of course, no one paid serious attention.

Joe

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"Once they turn "pro," they lose their name recognition and will, consequently, make LESS money than as amateurs! If Michelle, for example, turned pro, I can assure you she'd lose her valuable endorsement contracts."

I'm not so convinced.

Until 93, they had to use pro skaters anyways. Other than Nancy, whom they kept on after she turned pro, MK is the only other eligable skater Disney's had. They didn't dump her when she lost to Tara or Sarah, what makes you think that they are gonna dump her for Sasha or whoever? I don't buy it.

As for name recognition, Kristi and Oksana are big names. Not turning pro in 94 is probably the most stupid thing Urmanov ever did.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I think skaters...or anybody in any profession really, should only retire when they want to. As long as you are enjoying what you are doing I see no reason to stop.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
With the new scoring system in place, it will be interesting to see how long skaters will be staying around the competitve scene.

At one time skaters had to more or less "move along" either because they could not afford to compete anymore or they just could not physically keep up with the pace.

I think each skater mentioned here will make her decision accordingly. It may involve something as simple as wanting to start a family - who knows? Each skater makes this decision evntually.