Ice Dance CD Scoring | Golden Skate

Ice Dance CD Scoring

antmanb

Record Breaker
I've started this post because i've never been a particular fan of ice dance. The subtleties have usually evaded me and it is only as I become a little more proficient in my own skating that i can really appreciate ice dance.

So i've been catching up with performances on youtube and watching recent competitions just from an enjoyment position rather than understanding the levels etc for ice dance.

I have now started to dip into the protocols to look at the marks and while the OD and FD are fairly understandable i have no idea what the CD protocol means. I assume that the markings down the left hand side refer in some way to the pattern being skating but am stuck as to what it all means. Can a kindly soul out there help with an idiot's guide to the CD protocl sheet?

Many thanks
Ant

trains

On the Ice
The dance patterns are divided up into sections around the rink and scored by section. So you could make a mistake or even fall in one section and take a major technical deduction there, but that will not affect the technical scores for the other sections of the dance.

antmanb

Record Breaker
The dance patterns are divided up into sections around the rink and scored by section. So you could make a mistake or even fall in one section and take a major technical deduction there, but that will not affect the technical scores for the other sections of the dance.

Ok that makes sense thank you! I'm currently trying to find some help on the ISU site and it isn't particularly user friendly or easy to find things on it!

Ant

Replying to my own to say - does anyone have a link to the scale of values for ice dance compulsory dances please? I can't seem to find it on the ISU site.

Thanks
Ant

Last edited by a moderator:
While, I engaged in compulsory dances during the public sessions a hundred years ago, I didn't get interested as a competitive sport until I began reading about them on GS, and since then watching it closely. I tend to watch how well the couples execute mohawks, choctaws, rockers, brackets, etc, as well as how well they keep to the beat and rythym of the music. Watching them, imo, one can compare the field on the basics.

I've also noticed that, in general, the Russian Dancers tend to be very proficient in the compulsory dance segment of the competitions. Like their ballet companies, they tend to be sticklers for technique. I like that.

lcd

Match Penalty
Joe, you've picked up on the fact that the protocols seem the toughest to decode. While there are many subtle nuances which can be appreciated by the trained eye, regardless, it seems such subtleties escape way too many judges IMO. Dance scores, especially component marks, seem way too often to reflect a rubber stamp template of how the judges "see" the team as ranking for the rest of the event. Timing - supposedly one of the two components that matters (is actually weighted) the more heavily - one would think is one of the more objective components to judge? Seems also way too often that the marks have little to do with what happens on the ice. Pardon my grumbling...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you are interested in the CD's :)love::love::love:) check out the reference section of ice dance.com

http://www.ice-dance.com/reference/

(click on take me there)

Also here are links to my reference files I've posted here at GS which also have videos:

2008/2009 CD's Juniors
Starlight Waltz
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22884

Paso Doble
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22951

2008/2009 CD's Seniors
Paso Doble (see above)

Viennese Waltz
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24315

Finnstep I haven't written yet, but will when I get around to previews for Europeans and 4CC's.

Last year's CD's for Worlds and Jr Worlds

Argentine Tango
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20544

Cha Cha Congelado
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20120

In fact, I keep a clip list of videos on all the CD's used at JR and senior level, so if there's one or two you'd like written up, I'll be glad to oblige.

antmanb

Record Breaker
[whole post]

I was hoping you might point me in the right direction doris! I'm finally shedding my apathy with ice dance and engaging with it! Many thanks for all of the links you provided. I have to confess that i read your series of posts regarding the nature of dances (was it the ODs for last year?) and my interest started!

I'm hoping the more i engage with ice dance the more i will start to understand my own movements on the ice a bit better!

Ant

Joe, you've picked up on the fact that the protocols seem the toughest to decode. While there are many subtle nuances which can be appreciated by the trained eye, regardless, it seems such subtleties escape way too many judges IMO. Dance scores, especially component marks, seem way too often to reflect a rubber stamp template of how the judges "see" the team as ranking for the rest of the event. Timing - supposedly one of the two components that matters (is actually weighted) the more heavily - one would think is one of the more objective components to judge? Seems also way too often that the marks have little to do with what happens on the ice. Pardon my grumbling...
Icd - It's just because I was brought up to respect but not accept authority (judges)in matters considered resolved.

I was watching the Rhumba one comp, and it had a very distinctive flavor in that dance which caught my eye, that being the choctaw The competitors all did a decent choctaw, but some did it better than others, imo.

That's just one item in Skate Dance Compulsories among so many items. Not easy to judge in terms of selecting a winner in such a limited time schedule. Many fans simply take favorites because the dancers showed an overall bravura performance. Do the judges do that? I can't say yes or no.