Japan Figure Skating Championships | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Japan Figure Skating Championships

Buttercup

Record Breaker
*Ahem* :laugh:

This is the University Games, for university students around the world. There is a summer one and a winter one, in alternate years. Last year (2007) the University Winter Games were in Torino, Italy. Daisuke Takahashi and Akiko Suzuki won for mens and ladies, and Zhang and Zhang and locals Cappellini and Lanotte :rock: won in pairs and dance.
OT, Takahashi's win at the Winter Universiade in 2007 helped him win the ISU World Standings bonus at the end of that season, despite not winning GPF or Worlds and not skating at 4CC that year. I think the way points are tallied was changed as a result, which is only fair considering many skaters are not eligible for the University Games (of the top men this year, I believe Chan, the French guys and the Americans are not university students).

Bennett

Record Breaker
gala

I am watching gala. it's really a gorgeous show. they have orchestra. wow!
I saw stephane lambiel. he brought a tap dancer(?). he looked as beautiful as ever. his jumps may not be as good as they used to be but his spins and steps were great. it was a beautiful performance. i also love his black costume with a tie and red leaves. very beautiful. he looks like an ice dancer.

I feel that kozuka has a program that may be more difficult than needed for gala.

Fumie was adorable and cute. she totally looks like a teenager. i like her having a fun atmosphere like this.

Oda's tosca is very dynamic. great speed, great jumps, and great spins. he looks faster than he is at comps. he did his SP steps.

Mao's tango is a masterpiece. i really love this program. it's interesting that she is 200% more expressive during galas than in competitions. she had great jumps here. her flip looked like lu chen's jumps. she went high up in the air first and then came down rotating.
As an encore, mao did the lp steps. compared to nobu's sp steps, I like hers better because it looks more complex and gorgeous.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you for the gala links. What a surprise and treat to see Stephane, loved his performance.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Oda was on today. He and Mao could skate Waltz Masquerade as a pair, do sbs 3A's. Wouldn't it be great :-0

I'd love to see someone do sbs 3As.:laugh: Maybe in twenty years?

D/S and Abbott have really sparked off a Waltz Masquerade trend though.

christinaskater

Medalist
Go Mao, Fumie and Akiko

My 3 favorite skaters in the world now in no particular order are Mao Asada, Yu-Na Kim and Akiko Suzuki

Akiko did really well, she was phenomenal in her free skate, she was not given really high marks in the free skate because the judges were holding back the scores for the big guns, but Akiko did superbly well. A great redemption after her nervous short program. I wish Akiko would be given the opportunity to skate at the Worlds. She has so much talent that is truly world-class

I really love her musicality, how her body dances naturally with the music (Mao and Yu-Na have this too). I love how she feels every note and really gives it her 100%

I wish, hope and pray that she would be able to land a triple triple combination next year, and who knows qualify for the Olympics and a great wish (medal in the Olympics). I really believe in her talent

The Japanese ladies are truly phenomenal!

I really like Miki's exhibition. She has been watching Suzanne Farrell in Tzigane! Good girl. A great model for her. Miki looks so elegant in black!

saltypig

Rinkside
:disapp: Sad about Yukari's placement. Akiko has had her number all year but I think she skated a bit too conservatively after winning the short.

I think Morozov helped Fumie a lot this year maybe Yukari needs a change in scenery as well...(imo)... :think: ...

Bennett

Record Breaker
Sad about Yukari's placement. Akiko has had her number all year but I think she skated a bit too conservatively after winning the short.

I think Morozov helped Fumie a lot this year maybe Yukari needs a change in scenery as well...(imo)... ...

I feel that injuries and busy schedule might have affected Yukari's inconsistency this season. Also leading the SP for the first time seems to have affected her nerves.

But it was really a tough competition. I feel that it was a tougher field than some of the GP events. Although she had as many as 10 points ahead of Akiko/Miki/Fumie after SP, it did not save her. She could not even go to 4CC.

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
Akiko is truly world-class

in my opinion she is the 2nd best in Japan and is one of the best in the world

She has so much emotion, she, along with Mao and Yu-Na are my favorite skaters in the world

Akiko is exquisite, she is arguably one of the most musical and dancer's dancer among the skaters.

She has improved so much this season, i really wish she would really give it her best next year and hopefully challenge for the Olympics

Maybe she could work on her spin positions, it's good but i don't like it that much as Mao's, work on the height and ensuring full rotation of her jumps, better look, (maybe she can have sponsors this year who can aid her develop a really classy and sophisticated look), she could also hire a world-class coach this year, maybe she could hire the services of Sandra Bezic, David Wilson, maybe Jeff Buttle could choreograph or coach her.

I hope she skates to Aranjuez next year........i really wish and pray she could become an international champion in the future (like Shizuka, Mao, Miki).

She has so much talent and potential and is still very young and able to really make it BIG!

GO AKIKO! I am in love with your skating

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
WOW !! I watched Miki's exhibition. It's fantastic !! So exquisitely artistic, elegant with delicate movements.

I like Miki's SP this season, but for her LP I would like her to do a program more like this exhibition.