Favourite Pairs Olympic Gold Performance | Golden Skate

Favourite Pairs Olympic Gold Performance

I

icenut84

Favourite Pairs Olympic Gold Performance

Inspired by the one about ladies. :) I think it's close between some of them, but I'd go for B&S in 02. I think it was just beautiful, and the more I watch the two the more I agree with the original decision. (But I don't want to start a B&S vs S&P debate here...)

P

Pookie

Re: Favourite Pairs Olympic Gold Performance

Artur and whoever he skates with is always Gold to me. :D

D

Dee4707

I voted for Elena & Anton. They are the epitome of grace and style. I love their skating.

Dee

Z

Z Lady

I agree with Dee. They do so well with their skating--they can convey words and thoughts with just the simplest movements on the ice. Watching them puts me in a different world.

M

mike79

I voted for other. My fave is Mishkutenok&Dmitriev from 1994. Simply amazing.

Edited to say I wasn't paying enough attention. I thought it was about performances in general, and not just gold medal performances. With that said I would have to pick G&G from 1994.

D

DORISPULASKI

G&G 1988-their 1994 performance just was not as good. The 1988 gold medal performance was perfection with not a step wrong. wonderful. Second place would be Mishketunok and Dmitriev, but they didn't get gold.

dpp

B

BronzeisGolden02

Such a difficult choice, but I'd go with G&G in 94. M&D were so close in 94 as well, but G&G were completely mesmerizing. They weren't perfect jump wise but the impact of that program was undeniable to me. They were two adults confident in their love and their skating and that combination was stunning. I would have given a 6.0 without a second thought.

J

Joesitz

The Protopopovs. They brought 19th century ballet pas de deux into figure skating to which most pairs since have tried to imitate.

Joe

R

rgirl181

As much as I love G&G in '94 and '88, in '94 Sergei was a little tight and made some mistakes and in '88, they weren't quite all the way there yet, although it was certainly a phenomenal performance.

My vote would go to Mishkutenok & Dmitriev '92 when they did "Liebestraum." Natalia singled a double jump and they weren't quite as on as they were at '91 Worlds with the same program, but OMG, what a program and what a performance. To me it is the "Bolero" of pairs skating programs. G&G were superior all around, but when M&D were on, they had a passion that wasn't G&G's style (admittedly an apples and oranges situation). There are other G&G performances that I'd put above "Liebestraum," ie "Vocalise" and "The Man I Love" but not by much. "Liebestraum" IMO was a unique coming together of athletes, their expression and abilities, and the incredible coaching and choreography of Tamara Moskvina.
Rgirl

Love this poll, Icenut:D

S

Show 42

No contest (for me)........G and G were the best and as far as I am concerned, no one has come close to their perfection....42

K

Kasey

Nothing tops G&G for me when it comes to pairs...no one even comes close!

Kasey

P

Ptichka

RGirl -- I voted "other" also meaning Mishkitenok & Dvitriev in 92. :) Amazing how you always say what I mean :)

L

Lucy25

I loved G&G in 94. They were just so elegant - what pairs skating is all about. All the pairs listed, though, were wonderful.

G

Glacierskater

S&P - Long - 2002

L

LilyBerg

I voted for Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze, but I love Sale and Pelletier too. :D :D

/Lily

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Re: Re: Favourite Pairs Olympic Gold Performance

Joesitz said:
The Protopopovs. They brought 19th century ballet pas de deux into figure skating to which most pairs since have tried to imitate.

Joe

I so wish I had a tape of the Protopopovs! I kind of remember them, but I can't remember any specific programs.