Ladies SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

fiercemao

Match Penalty
I've been looking at her jumps this season and they seem much worse than last season. Her flip entrance edge looks exactly the same as the one in her 3Lz, and the jumps (especially toe jumps) seem to rotate slower in the air and often end up being short of rotation.

I love it when everybody becomes 'expert' after a skater was hit unexpectedly by judges. The truth is her jumps were no better or worse than last season. They all seemed underrotated if you count the blade position. She has the same problem with Mirai Nagashu. She should have been dinged by technical controllers long time ago.

It is now about time.

so_proud

Rinkside
Figure skating is a political event...

Yuna's Lz.
Today Yuna's Lz was a little lower and shaky than her (own) usual Lz, but I think the Lz was still good and definitely in the range of the triple rotation (>2.75). I still cannot understand why her Lz was downgraded (ending up with just 1.48 on her Lz). I feel that, if other skaters would do a Lz like that, they wouldn't get downgraded. Probably even get some plus GOE. Remember that many underrotated triple jumps were scored as triple jumps so far. Don't compare the quality of her jumps with her usual quality but with the other skaters'.

Yuna's Flip.
From that camera angle, it is not so sure whether her flip was outside edge or not. That camera angle may make some illusion. If we look at her entrance (straight) for the flip jump, I think that the edge could not be "Obvious" outside edge ( See the other skaters like Yagudin). Whether that was slightly outside or flat or slightly inside edge, I was so upset about the unfairness from the technical judge. There is a definite bad intention of doing so.
So far, there was no, if any few, edge call, even for so many obvious flutz (e.g., Suguri's two flutzs). Probably, the edge call for Wagner was the first one throughout the three GP series. Then, Yuna got "e"(for a long time), not even "i" (for a short time) for the flip (i still think that her flip is good. If her flip is not ok, many other skaters' flips should not be ok, either).

Yes, Yuna is the first place in the short programs. So, you would say what would be the matter. But, I am so sad and desperately disappointed, realizing that there would always be unfairness in figure skating. It is so painful to see that one skater is pulled down from a set of judges and a technical caller to push up some other skaters. I should admit that figure skating would be a politics not a sport. Today I regret to be a figure skating fan... and am crying for the current figure skating field.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
That must have been a fine 3-3 from Miki, I didn't understand that the ones at SA got downgraded and she didn't get dinged here... Shame about the Flip and the low levels, what's up Morosov, isn't the COP-level thing his forte?

I'm glad too Miki's 3+3 was ratified here. Morosov was no longer CoP savvy. I remember last season Takahashi, Pang&Tong, Miki's programs(He's the choreographer) in early season were full of level 1, level 2.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Yuna's Lz.
Today Yuna's Lz was a little lower and shaky than her (own) usual Lz, but I think the Lz was still good and definitely in the range of the triple rotation (>2.75). I still cannot understand why her Lz was downgraded (ending up with just 1.48 on her Lz). I feel that, if other skaters would do a Lz like that, they wouldn't get downgraded. Probably even get some plus GOE. Remember that many underrotated triple jumps were scored as triple jumps so far. Don't compare the quality of her jumps with her usual quality but with the other skaters'.

Yu Na's lz have been badly underrotated for a long time. She rotated the jumps in the air, but the blade touch-down was way off 1/4 allowed UR. Watch the slo-mo. This was not the first time.

She got a free pass in the past, I hope this is the signal to her that no free pass will be coming anymore.

FS is always about politics. The power vested in technical controller is just too much. UR and edge calls should be revamped NOW.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yu Na's lz have been badly underrotated for a long time. She rotated the jumps in the air, but the blade touch-down was way off 1/4 allowed UR. Watch the slo-mo. This was not the first time.

She got a free pass in the past, I hope this is the signal to her that no free pass will be coming anymore.

FS is always about politics. The power vested in technical controller is just too much. UR and edge calls should be revamped NOW.

I don't see that FierceMao. I was watching slow motion replays fo Yu-na's normal lutz and she normally lands fully backwards, with the back blade fully backwards.
If Yu-na was badly underrotating a la Mirai she would have been docked for it a lot sooner.

I think there's a good chance that lutz in the short program today was underrotated, and flip entrances have been looking questionable lately. (though.)

jaejang2001

Match Penalty

Check

Miki Ando 2nd loop--2 rotation
Asley Eagner 3lz-2.25 rotation
Yuna Kim 3lz- 2.75 Rotation

Saltlake again?

Last edited:

battersea

Spectator
Yu-na was lucky to have e this time, there's time to get real flip by Oly and I think she can do it.

fsf9012

Rinkside
I can't understand why she got an 'e' mark. Her flip entrance is so quick, and if it had looked like a slight outside edge from the place where the technical speclist was, she should have got just an '!' mark instead of 'e'. So other judges who saw her flip from a different angle and thought it was okay could give her 0 or +GOEs. I agree we can never compare scores event after event, but edge call should be very consistent. If Yuna got an 'e', why Suguri had received added points who had obvious flutzes?

Last edited:

Okami

On the Ice
Shame about the Flip and the low levels, what's up Morosov, isn't the COP-level thing his forte?

I think that if you asked him to go out on the rink and perform high level elements, he would probably be able to do it just fine (well, I don't know about the spirals).
Miki, however, simply can't perform some elements. Biellman position is out of question, and even normal spins often cause her pain. Not so long ago her state was bad enough that even turning in her bed while sleeping could cause her shoulder to pop out of its joint. She was planning to have an surgery to fix this problem, but unfortunately the doctors said that even if she underwent the surgery, there was no guarantee that it will actually help. In the end, the best Miki can is be careful and pray to high heavens for her shoulder to stay in place.

I think that considering that she'd been off the ice for quite a long period of time, she's doing quite well. I would LOVE for any girl from my country, whether injured or healthy do HALF as well. Including levels. (Yes, I'm that desperate ;) ).

Re: Flip - at Skate America Miki got deducted for not doing her Flip immediately out of steps. Her approach indeed got longer since she fixed her "lip". I found it sort of ironic that right after she fixed it, a new rule was introduced which made her have her GoE deducted just about as much as if she kept on "lipping".

fiercemao said:
Yu Na's lz have been badly underrotated for a long time.

bekalc said:
I don't see that FierceMao. I was watching slow motion replays fo (...)
If Yu-na was badly underrotating a la Mirai she would have been docked for it a lot sooner.

I wouldn't say that YuNa's jumps have been badly underrotated for a "long time". In previous season they were mostly fine. IMHO they started getting worse since Worlds. I was surprised that 3Lz in her SP was not downgraded, and 3S & 2A-3T were a bit short of rotation as well (maybe not enough to get a downgrade, but some -GoE instead). However, I'm not sure I would like to see her downgraded - I would have her above Carolina in the final ranking.
At SA this season the jumps started to get even worse. The height on the jumps is still good, but the air rotation looks slower. Some of the jumps 3T in SP, 3F in LP, etc.) definitely had a "hook" on the landing, even without slo-mo (provided the angle was good).

And I could not see a difference between her 3Lz and 3F, except the 3-turn entry, of course.

I wouldn't worry too much, though. She has a lot of time to fix those problems. Perhaps it was lucky that she was assigned to early events (giving her more time to polish her technique before the GPF).

fiercemao

Match Penalty
I can't understand why she got an 'e' mark. Her flip entrance is so quick, and if it had looked like a slight outside edge from the place where the technical speclist was, she should have got just an '!' mark instead of 'e'. So other judges who saw her flip from a different angle and thought it was okay could give her 0 or +GOEs. I agree we can never compare scores event after event, but edge call should be very consistent. If Yuna got an 'e', why Suguri had received added points who had obvious flutzes?

Maybe because all those frantic Mao fans' youtube clips and emails are having an impact on the technical controllers? :chorus: Have you seen endless slow-mos analysis of Yu Na's 3flip's 'wrong' edge take-off on youtube?

Last edited:

Love_Skate

Rinkside
Frustrated

Oh, my God!!!! :mad:
'e' on Yuna's flip today???? :rofl:
It was exactly the same as she did throught her career for more than 10 years!!! And she got +2 GOE with these jumps several times under the current judging system!!!

Has there been any serious change on the definition of flip jump that I have not noticed??

What they did today is to invalidate all decisions they have made for a long time. :rofl: Otherwise, please do something to the inexperienced technical panels.

It is really frustrating.

Last edited:

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Oh, my God!!!! :mad:
'e' on Yuna's flip today???? :rofl:
It was exactly the same as she did throught her career for more than 10 years!!!

Has there been any serious change on the definition of flip jump that I have not noticed??

It is really frustrating.

My suggestion: ditch UR and edge calls by technical controllers. It's frustrating for you today, but have you thought about how many other skaters were doing exactly what Yu Na did on 3flip but was unfairly marked as lip in the past?

so_proud

Rinkside
have you thought about how many other skaters were doing exactly what Yu Na did on 3flip but was unfairly marked as lip in the past?
fiercemao, please name the skaters who did exactly what Yuna did and was 'unfairly' marked as lip. I would appreciate it, really.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I am really surprised. According to the protocol Ashley Wagner´s 3Lz was not underrotated! It is a little gift for her (2 points) from the technical panel.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
I wouldn't say that YuNa's jumps have been badly underrotated for a "long time". In previous season they were mostly fine. IMHO they started getting worse since Worlds. I was surprised that 3Lz in her SP was not downgraded, and 3S & 2A-3T were a bit short of rotation as well (maybe not enough to get a downgrade, but some -GoE instead). However, I'm not sure I would like to see her downgraded - I would have her above Carolina in the final ranking.
At SA this season the jumps started to get even worse. The height on the jumps is still good, but the air rotation looks slower. Some of the jumps 3T in SP, 3F in LP, etc.) definitely had a "hook" on the landing, even without slo-mo (provided the angle was good).

And I could not see a difference between her 3Lz and 3F, except the 3-turn entry, of course.

I wouldn't worry too much, though. She has a lot of time to fix those problems. Perhaps it was lucky that she was assigned to early events (giving her more time to polish her technique before the GPF).
See, now this, I can mostly agree with. Some of the other posts in here criticizing Yu-Na comes off as way too overzealous and the attacks are questionable because of the apparent bias against her.

Like Okami said, I wouldn't fret too much for Yu-Na since she'll have more time now to clean all that up for the GPF.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5251/53872523el1.gif :)
A bigger version (Aw, look at Orser! :biggrin: )

Bennett

Record Breaker
I haven't been able to see the video yet. But I am sort of surprised that the caller gave her "e," not "!". Then was she clearly on the outside at this particular event, rather than on the flat as she often had been?

bekalc

Record Breaker
I was surprised that 3Lz in her SP was not downgraded,

I thought it was called underrotated at Worlds.? Yeah even I can see her jumps aren't as great. I'm hoping it's just they aren't working on them as hard so she'll be healthy by worlds.