Canadian TV Coverage This Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Canadian TV Coverage This Season

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Re: coverage

rain said:
That is pretty good coverage - except I don't get ESPN or Lifetime - only the main ABC station. Which means the coverage basically sucks. I hate it when networks divide the coverage between various channels they own, in spite of the fact that many may not recieve all of said channels.

Most Canadians don't get ESPN or Lifetime, I'm afraid--and I'm also from Atlantic Canada, so I definitely feel your pain! :cry:

It sounds to me like CBC was interested in picking up the Worlds broadcast rights, but just didn't have enough of the $$$ the ISU wanted (which doesn't surprise me considering all the budget cuts CBC has received over the past few years!)

I'm definitely interested in Debbi Wilkes' $0.02 about this...I imagine she wouldn't be very happy!

BTW, I think ESPN actually owns part of (if not all of) TSN--so why has TSN never picked up any of the ESPN skating coverage in the States if they no longer want to provide their own? TSN's certainly broadcasted enough other obscure sporting events originally aired in the States on ESPN (National Cheerleading Championships, anyone?), so why not skating? I know it still wouldn't be the same as having our own coverage, but it would certainly be better than not getting to see it at all! :mad:

pairsfan

On the Ice
If anyone wants a US trading partner you can "PM" me. I have all of the US channels that show skating and would love to have something from CTV or ESPN Classic Canada.

Lynda

bleuchick

On the Ice
re:CBC

I don't think it has to do with money. The ISU is in no position for asking for more money given the events of the last 2 years. In fact, it should be taking any offer.

Antilles

Medalist
If I'm not mistaken, Canadians can't get ESPN or Lifetime legally. We can only get it through pirate satellites. Gotta love the CRTC.