Which skaters do you find extremely boring? | Golden Skate

Which skaters do you find extremely boring?

Which skaters do you find extremely boring?

• Jenni Meno & Todd Sand

Votes: 69 16.0%
  • Maria Petrova & Alexei Tikhonov

Votes: 128 29.6%
  • Tatiana Todmanina & Maxim Marinin

Votes: 65 15.0%
  • Todd Eldredge

Votes: 75 17.4%
  • Timothy Goebel

Votes: 78 18.1%
  • Michael Weiss

Votes: 101 23.4%
  • Maria Butyrskaya

Votes: 60 13.9%
  • Nancy Kerrigan

Votes: 79 18.3%
  • Michelle Kwan

Votes: 94 21.8%
  • Others - which?

Votes: 40 9.3%

• Total voters

All that Jazz

Rinkside
So, which skaters make you snooze?

I'm aware this poll is a little bit delicate, but since threads like "Least favourite skaters" and "Most overrated skaters/programs" at "The Edge" didn't turn out into bashfeasts I'm quite optimistic this here is allright. If not, the administrator may delete this poll right away!

I hope the selected skaters are correct; I've chosen those which have been mentioned mostly in a "boring" context. And, hey, if you're a fan of one or several of these skaters, PLEASE! don't take it personally!!! It doesn't mean "your" skater/s is/are really boring. Like everything in skating it's only a (subjective) matter of personal taste.

Multiple choices are allowed; and feel free to use the "Others" option!!!

Last edited:
All That Jazz - I think I am speaking for all the moderators in saying that certain titles require careful watching. Those you mentioned and this one. glad you pointed it out. Thanks.

Joe

Pookie

Final Flight
It's a tie between Maria Petrova & Alexei Tikhonov and Tatiana Todmanina & Maxim Marinin. It's been a long time since there hasn't been even one Russian pairs team I enjoy watching.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I agree about P/T, but this season I did not find T/M boring at all. Unfortunately, their skate at Worlds was indeed rather uninspired, but their performance at GPF was, I thought, truly exciting.

Germanice

On the Ice
I go along with the skaters mentioned above, minus Maria Butyrskaya (always loved her divalike behavour), Mikey Weiss (I just feel pity for him) and Todmanina/Marinin (I still give them the credit to improve and maybe have more fun on ice). Personally I'd add Elvis Stojko, Paul Wylie and Surya Bonaly to the list.

Anke

Lcp88

On the Ice
Totmanina/Marinin. They have good technical skills, but if these are (and I think they will be eventually) our future World Champions, they will need to seriously improve on expression/artistry. Tatiana, you could smile once in a while!!!:laugh: :rolleye: :laugh:
Laura

Well, I see that Petrova and Tikhonov have passed Michelle for the title of Most Boring. Come on, everybody, let's get Timmy G. up to his rightful place.;)

MM

E

Eva-Elena

Maria Petrova & Alexei Tikhonov, Tatiana Todmanina & Maxim Marinin, Todd Eldredge, Michelle Kwan and Timothy Goebel, and personally I'd add Elvis Stojko and Yoshie Onda. (Good thing you can choose for more than 1 answer ;) )

Lisa

On the Ice
(sorry for submitting too quickly :D)

I agree with Eva-Elena about Yoshie Onda.

windspirit

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Come on, everybody, let's get Timmy G. up to his rightful place.;)
http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/nono.gif

I don't find Goebel that boring. Especially after 2003 Worlds. And even before that his technical skills were enough to hold my interest. But that's me.

The skaters I find, more or less, boring (that I can remember right now):

Maria Petrova & Alexei Tikhonov
Nancy Kerrigan
Maria Butyrskaya
Tara Lipinski
Jennifer Robinson
Totmianina & Marinin (with the exception of their SP, where he wore that costume with leaves; I really enjoyed it)
Matt Savoie
Fumie Suguri (with the exception when she's really on)
Michelle Kwan (with the exception when she's really on)
Scott Hamilton (lately)

The skaters who used to bore me to tears, but no more:
Todd Eldredge

Oh, Windspirit, not Matt Savoie! He's not boring, he's...he's...comfortable. I could watch Matt all day. Maybe not exciting, but very, very pleasant.

Mathman

windspirit

On the Ice
Mathman, I don't have anything against Matt (or other skaters I don't... find exciting enough ;) ). I just can't find (for now, at least) anything in his skating that would be of interest to me. It just looks too generic to me. That may change, as it has with Todd, or some other skaters. For example, for a long time I couldn't understand what people saw in Abt ( http://fool.exler.ru/sm/pom.gif ). Not that I thought he was boring, I just didn't "get" him.

I don't know why we like someone's skating almost from the beginning, and with others it takes us more time, or - in some cases - it may never happen. But I know that if I can't see something it doesn't mean it's not there. That's why I haven't given up on those skaters I find boring now (although with some I feel it's unlikely that I'll change my mind), and I'm at peace with the fact that not everyone likes my favorites. More for me, eh? :laugh:

Last edited:

amykaren

On the Ice
Petrova/Tikhonov. Plain skating-not very exciting. I like them as people but their skating seems boring to me. :eek:

Kasey

Medalist
Wow....um, okay, so I voted for Goebel....but I would also agree with Kerrigan....and 99% of ice dancers.....and Sasha Abt...AND Sasha Cohen (okay, well, maybe not boring, I just don't LIKE her!)....Ummm, Dorothy Hamill!!! (There IS a time to retire, and nice lines don't cut it anymore). Okay, so I'm opinionated to my likes, and will probably get some flak, but oh well! It is a subjective sport!

lil lion 816

Rinkside
I hate to call any skater "boring" but I have to admit that Petrova & Tikhonov just don't get it done for me. The shame is I actually started to see some slight improvement a couple of years ago - they not only backslid IMO but also became quite sloppy as well...
They need different music, choreography, different *attitude* as far as their skating is concerned, methinks.