Favorite costumes? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite costumes?

Eevun

Final Flight
Koffe Berntsson's SP
Yes, yes, YES! :love: I'm so in love with the red brace... In my eyes, it's perfect!

Johnny's Otonal costume. 05/06 I think.

Kerr's space costumes. They're brilliant and have inspired me a lot to a costume I'm making for a winter play with space theme :agree:

D/S's carneval from 05/06 . The thing with the gloves are genius!

Totmianina/Marinin. I don't know which program it is, so I post a pic. It's the best costumes I've ever seen. I really can't explain why, 'cos there's not very much about them, but at the same time they're timeless. They've got the same in red, but I think the blue ones is the most beautiful.
T/M

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Totmianina/Marinin. I don't know which program it is, so I post a pic. It's the best costumes I've ever seen. I really can't explain why, 'cos there's not very much about them, but at the same time they're timeless. They've got the same in red, but I think the blue ones is the most beautiful.
T/M

This is their LP costumes in 2004 Worlds. I know what you mean by timeless. It's so simple, yet elegant! Somewhat like G/G's Moonlight Sonata costumes.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
T/M
Looks like their Art on Ice costumes to me.

Eevun said:
Kerr's space costumes. They're brilliant and have inspired me a lot to a costume I'm making for a winter play with space theme
I think the Kerrs could wear anything, except maybe a tutu, and look good. I wasn't crazy about the space FD but it was definitely original. They should do a Doctor Who inspired program - now that would be fun!

I think for the guys a vest and tie usually looks good - like Timothy Goebel's American in Paris costume in 2002 and Joubert's Untouchables program in 2003. Clean lines, not over the top, and it looks good on the ice.

Eevun

Final Flight
I think the Kerrs could wear anything, except maybe a tutu, and look good. I wasn't crazy about the space FD but it was definitely original. They should do a Doctor Who inspired program - now that would be fun!
*imagines John in a pink tutu* :rofl:
Who wears that this year? I've seen some scary pics of white and lime green ones...

Doctor Who, yay, would love that! :thumbsup:

Somewhat like G/G's Moonlight Sonata costumes.
I just realized they are my first figure skating memory ever. It have to be at least 10 years ago, I read some of my mum's Readers Digest, and I read this really touching story about a skating pair and he died during practice. Even if I was just 10 years or so, I never forgot that story, except for the names. But it's G/G, and I'm really glad I found the last piece of the puzzle some weeks ago (a thread about her and Kulik) :)

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
*imagines John in a pink tutu* :rofl:
Who wears that this year? I've seen some scary pics of white and lime green ones...
Khokhlova - the lime green, nothing pink. And Yuko Kawaguchi has a hideous costume with a white one. I don't know what their costume designers were thinking.

Bennett

Record Breaker
i would like to add Laura's LP(?) costume (the purplish navy one) to the list! It was very classy and beautiful.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight

They're makeup for the space FD was original as well. They really did look almost alien. S/S are the new space couple this year. Their costumes are so neon and eye-catching.

berrycute

On the Ice
i would like to add Laura's LP(?) costume (the purplish navy one) to the list! It was very classy and beautiful.

It IS a nice outfit, but I just wish it went to a new program. We saw her skate this how many times last year, it's boooorrrrriiiiiinnnngg now! Couldn't she afford a new LP?

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Yu-Na's SP
Mao Asada's LP
Megan Duhamel's LP
Maria Murkhotkhova's LP (escentic, I know, but I love it!)
Miki Ando's LP
Ashley Wagner's LP

CalebsMom

Rinkside
Joannie Rochette's SP (I like mature pink on her!) & LP (gorgeous!)

Jeremy Abbott's SP (prince look. very classy and detailed)

Johnny Weir's SP (fairy-like) & LP (very Johnny)

Shawn Sawyer's LP (simple & classy)

Tomas Verner's SP (vivid & cute on him) & LP (playful!)

Patrick Chan's LP (very classy. understated beauty)

Taka Kozuka's SP (nice) & LP (interestingly simple)

Yukari Nakano's SP (elegant)

Yu-Na Kim's SP (so stylish) & LP (absolutely classy)

Fumie Suguri's SP (bright & lovely. A typical princess-look!)

Alissa Czisny's SP (accentuates her lines) & LP (adorable)

Carolina Kostner's SP (playful) & LP (gorgeous)

Sarah Meier's SP (lovely) & LP (beautiful... sigh)

Emily Hughes's SP (so fresh)

Mao Asada's SP (this kind of dress becomes her so much. would have preferred a lighter color)

Caroline Zhang's SP (very lovely. love the beautiful blue) & LP (at SC. It was soooooo cute despite that it had no association with the music.)

Mirai Nagasu's SP (so fresh & cute!) & LP (cute & coquettish)

museksk8r's list included so many of my favorites that I copied the text and modified it. Thanks:)

I also wanted to add my thoughts to this list.

Yu-Na Kim's SP (so stylish) & LP (absolutely classy): I think Yu-Na can use a little more make-up for her SP and lose that red ribbon and find a classier headpiece instead.

Mao Asada's SP (this kind of dress becomes her so much. would have preferred a lighter color) : Again she'd better use more makeup.

Mao's LP: I also think her LP costume's quite age-inappropriate but still okay. But she needs to tone down makeup instead; right now, both her costume and makeup are too loud.

Ando Miki's SP: I didn't see what this LA Times columnist saw in Miki's SP costume. I don't think any of those videos (TV, youtube...) or photos did her justice.

Last edited:

Kinga

Medalist
There are so many costumes that I like a lot, and it makes it difficult to list them. Many on them were mentioned already, so I will add my 2 cents:

Sinead Kerr FD dress. I love these 'Novemberish' colours.
Shawn Sawyer LP. So elegant!
Maria Mukhortova SP dress
I like Dom/Shab FD costumes (although I know I represent a minority here :)), at least basing on photos I saw.
Both Sarah Meier's dresses (gosh, I ALWAYS love her costumes!! Definitely my favourite when it comes to skating, grace, charm, and costumes)

This is their LP costumes in 2004 Worlds. I know what you mean by timeless. It's so simple, yet elegant! Somewhat like G/G's Moonlight Sonata costumes.

Actually, I never liked G/G Moonlight Sonata costumes. My first impression was that it looked like a black sack that you put the cadavers into..

Sadly, it is easier for me to list the costumes that I dislike:
Kawaguchi/Smirnov, both SP and LP
Mukhortova/Trankov LP
Faiella/Scali FD
Lysacek LP (I have not seen his SP costume, so I cannot tell)
Khokhlova/Novitski, FD, OD, unfortunately, because I like them so much
S/S SP.
Dom/Shabalin OD

Last edited:

KayMil01

On the Ice
Kawaguchi & Smirnov always seem to have um, interesting costumes lol. Her dresses this season look to be like a ballet tutu...the dress kind of works for their SP to The Swan, though.

I also like Sarah Meir's dresses
Yukari's SP dress

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I think that Mao's dress for Clair de Lune is just perfect. She looks like the moonlight; I really hope she won't change it in the future. I would love to have a dress like that.
And well, Kozuka's outfit for the LP is so weird, but interesting :) It reminds me the men's wear in the 70's. Or minimal art, you know:laugh: As for Mao, I hope he'll keep it for the Final, or Worlds.
Yuka Sato designed his costumes. She said:
"Usually Kozuka works with Jef Billings, who is also my costume person, but, unfortunately, Jef had heart surgery, and we weren't able to work the schedule out," Yuka said. "So I have to be a designer, how embarrassing. I wanted him to look clean and handsome, because he is handsome boy anyway."

luvsasha

Final Flight
Kimmie Meissner LP dress
Yu Na Kim LP dress
Joannie Rochette SP and LP dress
Caroline Zhang SP and LP dress (TEB)

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think that Mao's dress for Clair de Lune is just perfect. She looks like the moonlight; I really hope she won't change it in the future. I would love to have a dress like that.
And well, Kozuka's outfit for the LP is so weird, but interesting :) It reminds me the men's wear in the 70's. Or minimal art, you know:laugh: As for Mao, I hope he'll keep it for the Final, or Worlds.
Yuka Sato designed his costumes. She said:
"Usually Kozuka works with Jef Billings, who is also my costume person, but, unfortunately, Jef had heart surgery, and we weren't able to work the schedule out," Yuka said. "So I have to be a designer, how embarrassing. I wanted him to look clean and handsome, because he is handsome boy anyway."

Wow she designed it? How interesting. I had only heard of the first half of the story and did not know that Yuka actually designed it. It seems to have involved so little designing anyway, but I admire her courage to keep it so amazingly simple. I initially thought that he just ordered the templete design to which the customers could add whatever they want!

ETA: I also like Joubert's LP costume (I usually find his costumes overdone, but this was nice!) and Caro's new SP costume (the red & gold one. very pretty and mature).

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
Joannie Rochette's dresses this year do an excellent job of creating that balance between athlete (muscular) and 'lady' (soft colors which still 'work' on television). Simplicity and purity, shows the athlete, shows the emerging artist.

The Kerr's free dance outfits are wonderful for their almost gender neutral quality that mirrors themes of their choreography and the relationship of the characters that they seem to portray in the program - romantic, as in romanticism, but not necessarily romantic love between the two of them.

Maia Shibutani, a junior US ice dancer, is always costumed with so much tasteful sophistication. She is young and petite and has to compete with older and obviously more physically developed girls in dance, but always comes across as mature and older than she is, but completely elegant and thank goodness, never trampy.

Can you tell I go for the 'class act' look?