Sasha's Future Plans? | Golden Skate

Sasha's Future Plans?

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
No way is she ever going to make a serious comeback. One can only go so far with a double axel and triple salchow and triple toe loop, even if the skater in question is Sasha Cohen. I don't see how she could possibly participate in the entire SOI tour and be training as seriously as she needs to in order to have any chance and making another World/Oly team. Stick a fork in her, she is waaaaaaaaaay over done.

Sasha seems to have her life just about where she wants it. She headlines SOI, is in demand for every skating show that comes along, and has time to pursue other interests if she chooses.

I can't see any incentive for her to try to return to competition.

Edited to add: Far from being done, she's just getting started! :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
1) Your link does not work

2) Didn't we know this all along? This is NOT news.

Bruin714

On the Ice
Too bad, with the free skates we've seen recently, Sasha's frequent one-two fall programs would be winning just about everything in sight! A medal at the Olympics is not out of the question.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Too bad, with the free skates we've seen recently, Sasha's frequent one-two fall programs would be winning just about everything in sight! A medal at the Olympics is not out of the question.

I don't think soo. Mao and Yu-na with their their jumping passes do enough to make mistakes and still beat Cohen. Plus with the flutz rules.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think she's happy where she is and she owes the competitive skating world nothing. She headlines the only show out there, and does her job well. She was never known for her jumping she was known for her line and artistry. I say more power to her.

I'm sure Scott is breathing a huge sigh of relief that he isn't losing yet another headliner :laugh:

camion

On the Ice
As one of Sasha's biggest fan, there was always a part of me that would have loved for her to make a comeback, but I think most of us knew that once the 2 yr. mark passed since Turin '06, she didn't have the motivation to continue in competitive skating- as you can't be a viable contender to finish on top of the podium so late in the Olympic cycle. Her "Carmen" '02 @ nationals will always be the no. 1 "Carmen" in my book.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think soo. Mao and Yu-na with their their jumping passes do enough to make mistakes and still beat Cohen. Plus with the flutz rules.

Well don't limit it to just Mao and Yu-Na. Joannie, Yukari, and Carolina with mistakes would surely be beating Sasha now too.

lmarie086

Medalist
Once Sasha took the whole 2006/2007 season off, I didn't really expect for her to come back. So this doesn't surprise me at all.

I hope she is enjoying herself and wish her all the best.

fairly4

Medalist
This doesn't mean she isn't going to compete.
Unless I miss my guess, it is the 2008/2009 season they have up.
They don't have anything about the 2009/2010 season. It would show up as 2010 not 2009.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
without sufficient training (which skating in SOI is far from) she won't be READY for 2010.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
she'd have to have the same work ethic... but really, does she need to come back? silver is nothing to cry over, if you ask me... *shrugs*

R.D.

Record Breaker
silver is nothing to cry over, if you ask me... *shrugs*

Easy for us to say, perhaps, but just tell that to Kwan and Slutskaya. They were both silver medalists but stayed in another four years only to end up with a bronze. I'm sure they're still feeling the void although they've most likely moved on by now. The fact that they haven't officially "retired" says it all. They've unfinished business that they will never likely finish.

Enero

On the Ice
Easy for us to say, perhaps, but just tell that to Kwan and Slutskaya. They were both silver medalists but stayed in another four years only to end up with a bronze. I'm sure they're still feeling the void although they've most likely moved on by now. The fact that they haven't officially "retired" says it all. They've unfinished business that they will never likely finish.

I'm not sure about Slutskaya, but I don't remember Kwan ever being the type of athelete to announce her decisions. She's always kind of done her thing without annoucing it to the media or her fans ahead of time (She doesn't even have an official website :) ). So I'm not surprised that she hasn't officially announced retirement. I don't think she ever will (or would have even if she won the OGM).

Back on topic: Not surprised by Sasha's choice. She seems to be enjoying what she has right now, which she should. She can make good money without all of the stress of competition. She accomplished some good things in her amateur career and had a great impact on the sport. I still miss her in the amatuer ranks, but I'm glad she's enjoying her life and at least still skating.

John King

Final Flight
Is everyone who has not won an Olympic Gold Medal an "also-ran"? If Michelle Kwan had officially retired, would skating fans, or indeed the general public, have forgotten her? She has made her mark, as Sasha has made her mark. Haven't you noticed that when ElGed made her splash on the scene, commentators remarked about her as having "Sasha Cohen-like flexibility" ? Give Sasha credit for inspiring legions of youngsters: She inspires young girls to become figure skaters, and inspired young boys to become gynecologists.:biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning never won an Olympic Medal, much less a Gold, and he has influenced many of the current crop of top skaters... and his Casablanca was (and might still be) used when the CoP judges were being trained to look for an outstanding program :)

Yeah, I'm sure he's bummed that he didn't achieve it, but he's had an amazingly successful professional career... and he's married with two beautiful children... the olympic medal issue is just a blip in the over all picture.

Paul Wylie keeps his silver medal in his sock drawer... at the time he said it was so important and now it's just one small part of his overall story. (he spoke at my church). Yeah, you get bragging rights, but ultimately it's not what most are remembered for. There are a lot of olympic medalists I can't name because all they did was their job... they didn't reach out and touch the sport and its viewers.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Paul Wylie keeps his silver medal in his sock drawer... at the time he said it was so important and now it's just one small part of his overall story. (he spoke at my church). Yeah, you get bragging rights, but ultimately it's not what most are remembered for. There are a lot of olympic medalists I can't name because all they did was their job... they didn't reach out and touch the sport and its viewers.

I'm not sure you can compare Paul to let's see Irina/Michelle. Paul wasn't expected to win a medal much less gold. I'm sure the medal he got was just gravy. And it was also a gift from his other competitors. Because jumpwise Paul wasn't at the level of the other men. He needed mistakes from other guys to medal.

In contrast Michelle/Irina were expected to win, and didn't win because of their own mistakes. A very different scenario. I'm sure Browning IS disappointed about his Olympic win. He tried several times to win it.. But of course you have to move on. But his situation is much more akin to Michelle/Irina than Paul's is.

In the end it depends on what your expectations are.

Last edited: