Mao's programs this year | Golden Skate

Mao's programs this year

hongligl

Final Flight
Watched the vedios for Mao's SP, LP and Ex at TEB. General impression: Tarasova did something great to upgrade Mao's performance level, the Ex was something giving Mao facial expression that's finally different and visible. The arm movement was also more difined and expressive. Excellent job. However both her SP and LP had something to be desired.

SP: The gerenal tone was right but she hasn't found the nuance of the music yet. IMHO there is a lack of the feeling of indulging in the tranqility and romance of beautiful moonlight. I dont' know if I expressed it clearly as my English is not good enough to express the very subtle thoughts. I couldn't help to go back to watch S/Z's SP again and anybody wants to see what I mean here that's it. I would think that this kind of music needs very efficient and smooth stroking and turns that keep you "floating" on the ice and the move should be concentrated on the arm and upper body as well as the eyes.
LP: Monotoned highbeats, didn't gave Mao any chance to catch her breath and it's boring to hear the same tune ( or do people call it sentence in music?) repeated again and again. No change of tempo and rhythme throughout the program, can one call it unbalanced, that's something I'm not sure, but at least I wouldn't call it a good structure program wise nor music edition wise. IMO it was overdone.

Although the jumps were not there at the moment, IMO Mao did improved performance wise, especially showing in the Ex, her arms moved better and with more expression, her facial express is a big leap from before and that is definitely an asset for her IMO.

Like her costumes.

(I was searching for Lu Chen's clair de lune and saw a yu na's clair de lune program, don't know when she did it but it is just the way I imagine a Clair de lune should be, also a Mao's when she was younger, beautiful)

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I love the SP music choice for her. It is perfect for her smooth, light skating.
But I felt that the program was a bit too busy. Even though her choreos are very beautiful, there are few slow moments where you can just relax and enjoy the grace.

I think her gala program simply fantastic. Absolutely gorgeous.

The LP music being frantically repetitive may be just a character of this music, but may not necessarily be suitable for FS performances.

I recall that her 2006 LP music was also repetitive.

Last edited:
I didn't care for Asada's unrelenting pell-mell LP music at Trophee Eric Bompard. But there is the possibility that if she skates it up to the potential of the program, it could be a blockbuster. I am looking forward to Act II at NHK.

shine

Record Breaker
I agree, the LP is kind of a snooze. I really don't see why some are claiming it to be a masterpiece, at all.

ks777

Record Breaker
I don't like Mao's SP nor LP this season. Her choreography in SP is too frantic and doesnt' go with that music. Her LP is just blah to me. I watched it once and never watched it again.

KayMil01

On the Ice
I agree, the LP is kind of a snooze. I really don't see why some are claiming it to be a masterpiece, at all.

I'd have to agree. I didn't like her 06-07 LP either...the music was wayyy too repetitive too.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'd have to agree. I didn't like her 06-07 LP either...the music was wayyy too repetitive too.

At first I didn't like last year's long either. But I grew to love it... It may have been repetitive but it was beautiful repetitive music. However, this program's music. Maybe I'll change my mind later.

Bennett

Record Breaker

I heard that Mao did not necessarily love this program very much, either.:)

I myself did not like the repetitiveness first. But I had come to love it.

When I first heard the original version of the Tchkovsky violin concerto, I thought it crazily repetitive, too. Somehow, I have come to feel that it is the character/essence of this music. I feel similarly about the repetitiveness of the current LP music.

Last edited:

mirai_asada

On the Ice
I find Mao's programs to be of an acquired taste. Despite being a Mao fan, I wasn't too crazy about both her SP & LP at first, but after watching them for a few times, they began to grow on me :laugh:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I actually like the LP music. If it is not disturbed by flaws, it's going to be like a large, beautiful painting.

SP just did not give me a kind of fantastic moment that I would expect to have but would hope that she pulls it off next times.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Her SP didn't really impress me, but her LP did. It looks like it has such potential.

I'll wait till NHK comes around before I make a decision. I usually can't say whether I liked it or not objectively when the program I saw was below her usual standard.

CalebsMom

Rinkside
Mao still seems lost, or torn, between to extremes: a tranquil, mono-dramatic SP and a dynamic, theatrical, ice dance-sort-of LP. I think Tarasova intentionally chose two different kinds of music in order to mark a strikingly dramatic contrast, but it's now in Mao's hands to make the best of both worlds. And imho, the outcome is still iffy: One can say, the best is yet to come while others can say the worst is yet to come. I personally think both programs will grow on me, leaving the issues on her jump techniques aside.

Kinga

Medalist
I actually like the LP music. If it is not disturbed by flaws, it's going to be like a large, beautiful painting.

I like her LP steps. Very gorgeous and go well with the music.

I agree with you. I mentioned it already before - I have not been Mao's fan, but there is a chance that I will become one this year. I find the LP very interesting. Unlike most people, I love the music. For me, her steps became much better (less senseless arm flailing and chest 'waving'), they suit the music much better than before. I find it very strange, that when most of people dislike her program, I like it so much, and other way around.
I think Mao became more mature and feminine, and Tarasova also brought out the best of it. Maybe this is why I fell for this program. I am very curious if it makes the same impression on me during the NHK.

hongligl

Final Flight
Watched Mao's LP at TEB on big screen today and it looks so much better the second time around. I like her costumes, makeup and her newly gained dramatic look. It seems that she has the stagma to pull it off according to NHK scores, then great! As long as she can do it it could be a great vehicle for her. Still don't like the music arrangement that much, during one period it was so weak that it sounds like the player being scared to death (by her fall?:) Anyway I agree that her new coach did a great job to bring the fire of her out there. Love the steps too, it looks like a ice dancer out there.

If she can bring more to her SP I'm going to be an official fan of her this year!