Ladies SP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Greetings, fellow sufferer in Dialup Hell!

Take heart, you must be in a higher ring of hell than I am, because my particular dialup in effect does not allow Youtube any more than streaming, unless I'm willing to wait about 10-15 mins of buffering for every 1 minute of footage (unless the resolution quality and thus the file size is very low).

Does my dailymotion link work better?

Elena Glebova
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7hcjs_elena-glebova-08-cup-of-russia-sp

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
Ok, I finally watched Kimmie's SP and her jumps looked clean to me. I feel so sorry for Kimmie. I hope she can come back in LP strong and win the gold.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Ok, I finally watched Kimmie's SP and her jumps looked clean to me. I feel so sorry for Kimmie. I hope she can come back in LP strong and win the gold.

The current UR, edge and level calls by technical controllers are total mess. It's a very very corrupt system.

Yes, but in gymnastics you are penalized if your elements are not fully rotated as well. When doing a triple twist, if you don't get the last twist around more than 3/4, it counts as a double, plus you land poorly and are deducted for that as well.

Actually, my understanding of the rule in gymnastics is that if you aren't around 100%, you don't receive credit for the element. An intended triple full ends up being 2.9 is called a double full. Skating is more generous allowing for the 1/4 underrotation.

It's ridiculous, though, because no judge's eye is that precise. When rotation is questionable, they see what they expect to see - superstars rotate, everyone else doesn't.

gold12345

Medalist
Actually, my understanding of the rule in gymnastics is that if you aren't around 100%, you don't receive credit for the element. An intended triple full ends up being 2.9 is called a double full. Skating is more generous allowing for the 1/4 underrotation.

It's ridiculous, though, because no judge's eye is that precise. When rotation is questionable, they see what they expect to see - superstars rotate, everyone else doesn't.

Hah, sad, but true.

A 2.9 in gymnastics would get lowered to only a 2.5 though, not a double. And skating is a little different because little "cheats" are considered pretty normal, I guess because of physics?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for that link.
Some quotes from the eurosport commentators

"her best effort in 12 months"
"just lovely to watch"

after the score
"48.08.,..thats very strange....is that right?"

Something is wrong when even the commentators don't understand the score and have to wait, sometimes hours, like the rest of us to see the protocols. Get rid of levels and let the judges call the jumps as they see them. But make sure the judges are not corrupt.

enlight78

Medalist
i don't know what feed you guys are watching but kimmie's triple loop had a hook at the end and half of the changes in her combination spin was only held for two revolutions. I sure the tech and judges have nothing against her. She's just not given them much to work with.

gold12345

Medalist
Please tell me Alissa's triple lutz was at least downgraded. When it's a clear underrotation like that, and only 2.5 revolutions are completed, and you don't need a super slow mo replay to see it, I have no problem with them downgrading it.

I still see nothing wrong with Kimmie's loop to warrant calling it a double.

I'm so negative today... Okay, a positive was Fumie's short. I'm so proud of that girl! :rock:

R.D.

Record Breaker
This comp is far from over. Remember, 2/3 still left and coming your way soon.

frozenhell

Rinkside
That would mean not allowing Tatiana Danilenko to be the technical controller here.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/comment/brennan/2002-02-25-brennan.htm

Somebody said Brennan knows great deal about figure skating but I am not sure about that when Brennan called Sarah Hughes's LP "Techincally maginificient work".
It is very possible that Hughes might have finished 4th if current rule was in effect at that time because Hughes would have been dinged with flutz and UR.

Kimme used to get away with her URed jump in the past but now she just can't cath a single break. It is true that Judges seem especially harsh to her but maybe it is karma thing bcause she used to be beneficiary of Judges's preferential treatment in the past.

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
Somebody said Brennan knows great deal about figure skating but I am not sure about that when Brennan called Sarah Hughes's LP "Techincally maginificient work".
It is very possible that Hughes might have finished 4th if current rule was in effect at that time because Hughes would have been dinged with flutz and UR.

Sasha flutzed too, and fell on a UR jump, so I doubt Hughes would have finished 4th. But the judge Danilenko saying Irina "must win" was the standout quote in that article. I think there have been other judging issues concerning her in the past as well. Hopefully she has cleaned up her act.

Kimme used to get away with her URed jump in the past but now she just can't cath a single break. It is true that Judges seem especially harsh to her but maybe it is karma thing bcause she used to be beneficiary of Judges's preferential treatment in the past.

I didn't think she was ever preferentially treated. She flew under the radar most of the year that she won Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sasha flutzed too, and fell on a UR jump, so I doubt Hughes would have finished 4th. But the judge Danilenko saying Irina "must win" was the standout quote in that article. I think there have been other judging issues concerning her in the past as well. Hopefully she has cleaned up her act.

IOW...you're trying to tell me she's still around? WTH?? Why isn't she banned???

frozenhell

Rinkside
Yes, Sasha also flutzed, so Sarah might have beaten Sasah(we never know) but clearly she would have finished behind both Irina and Michelle if current rule was in effect. Bottom line is Sarah mighe have skated "Seemingly" flawless sakte but she didn't and fact that Brennan called Sarah's LP "techincally magnificitne work" means either Brennan didn't have much knowledge or decided to ignore flaw in sarah's performance.

Kimmie was beneficiary of judge's preferential treatment mainly in US national. There was enough outcry when Kimmie's 3/3 was ratified while Flatt's 3/3 wasn't and that call helped kimmie to win her first national title over Emily Hughes.
Judges have been very generous in US nationals but maybe it is time for judges to change their approach. They just can't afford to award inflated score as in the past because if they don't call wrong edge and UR like international judges do, US's chance to get 3 spots for olympics might be gone.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
But Hughes didn't help her own cause by falling in the FS. It must get at her to think that had she stood up on that jump, she'd have won. She may not have even had to be clean on it, just land it and rotate it fully and the title would have been hers.

Tigger

Final Flight
Greetings, fellow sufferer in Dialup Hell!

Take heart, you must be in a higher ring of hell than I am, because my particular dialup in effect does not allow Youtube any more than streaming, unless I'm willing to wait about 10-15 mins of buffering for every 1 minute of footage (unless the resolution quality and thus the file size is very low).

That happens to me too, but only during the first download. It's always been fine for me for the second but actually first viewing for me and everytime afterwards. If you can handle listening to snippets of sounds every minute or five minutes for the first go round, see if whatever you want to watch at YouTube isn't fine after hiting the "Play Again?" button.

Just found out in what passes for our local "news" paper that Broadband may be here by this time next year. Finally...A step into the 21st Century!! I'll still believe it when I see it though.