Men's Free | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men's Free

Bennett

Record Breaker
Really? IMO Abbott has one of the best lines in figure skating today!

I think that he is sometimes slightly hunched around his shoulders and neck, which gives an impression that he is looking down the ice rather than the audience despite that he uses his arms, neck, and head into every direction.

Kikigirl

Rinkside
Please forgive me but I don't read Cyrillic. How do you find this interview in the morass of undecipherable text? Thanks

Right click and save on this text "Видео интервью. Все вопросы отвечены =)". That's the actual interview.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First, I have to say that I stand by my original post and opinion that Abbott was underscored in PCS and Joubert was overscored, but my goodness, Verner was unbelievably overscored in PCS. Crazy!

After seeing all of the LPs by the top 4 men in Cup of Russia, I would have ranked their final standings as 1) Joubert (because he was mathematically impossible to catch after the SP), 2) Preaubert, 3) Abbott, and 4) Verner. The British Eurosport commentators were also completely baffled at how Tomas was held up in the PCS. He popped 2 jumps, possibly 3 jumps, in his 3-jump combination of 2Lutz+2toe+1loop, he fell out of the 3Salchow, and had a bad landing on one of his 3Axels. Also, that program was very much lacking in transitions and choreography. I really don't get his PCS scoring, and I say this as a Tomas fan. I feel Alban and Jeremy were robbed a bit! Alban was robbed of a lot actually because his performance here should have ensured him of a silver medal and a much better opportunity of making the GP Final . . . it's a shame how he was so underscored. :(

I'm also disappointed to see that this is the 2nd title Brian Joubert has won (the other being 2007 Worlds) by skating an uninspired and labored LP after having an insurmountable lead after the SP. One program, especially a SP, should not ensure a skater to win a title. I hate that! I also disliked it when the US judges did it for Mirai Nagasu at the 2008 Nationals when Rachael Flatt was IMO the best skater overall through the entire competition.

Last edited:
After THAT SP Joubert could have spent the FP rotating on his butt :biggrin: and I'd still have given him the gold. That was a skate for the ages. I do wonder if he will ever be able to pull out a cleanish, sparkling FP this season given how much the SP must take out of him.

I still haven't been able to view Abbott's FP for technical reasons. I normally don't have any problems. Could anyone be so kind as to repost a link that they are sure works, or PM me? Thanks.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm also disappointed to see that this is the 2nd title Brian Joubert has won (the other being 2007 Worlds) by skating an uninspired and labored LP after having an insurmountable lead after the SP. One program, especially a SP, should not ensure a skater to win a title. I hate that! I also disliked it when the US judges did it for Mirai Nagasu at the 2008 Nationals when Rachael Flatt was IMO the best skater overall through the entire competition.

I have no issues with Joubert's two leads because at worlds that year...Well, everyone skated poorly Daisuke underrotated his 3/3, you had falls all over the place and Joubert was doing 4/3. At Cup of Russia I've got no issues again with Joubert's lead because everyone else skated dismally.

But when it comes to Nagasu's lead at Nationals, I think you can argue it was a bit much. However it wasn't that big or that insurmountable...... However if I recall Rachael did lose some levels in the short and that might have made the difference. But yeah maybe a more appropriate score would have been 68. I think the real question was did Nagasu underrotate some of her jumps and have the luck of a friendly caller?