practice reports? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

practice reports?

propronia

Match Penalty
Asada is tremendously talented. I'm not a fan but I would never deny her amazing abilities. She seems to be going through a bad patch at the moment, but hopefully she can come out the other side a stronger skater.

For my money, Kim is the best overall singles skater in the world at present but probably not the best overall jumper (though she's up there). And she does not, in fact, lip (in the traditional meaning of the word).

If I had to choose an overall best lady jumper I'd probably lean toward Nakano or maybe Ando. Nakano gets dinged for leg wrap (which I'm not crazy about) and hammered for micro-underrotation (which is just insane) but I think she's the overall best jumper among the ladies at present (part of which is defined in terms of consistency in landing jumps in competition).

Nakano is avoiding her nemesis triple loop for two years, and of course, her occasional 3-3s are never ratified even under the old system. Nakano's 3A's are downgraded four straight times. Ando has five different triples without edge errors. And she's the only lady to do the 3Lz+3Lo after Slutskaya. I'll concede she can challenge Asada when she masters a triple toeloop combo.

Yogudin

Rinkside
You are right.......

Am I right, really ? Then that's it! I do never want YOU to say Kim is the Best female jumper. I wish Mao and you a heartful Ganbarre in NHK Trophy!

Kim at her "best" can never land a two footed 3A or a little underrotated 3F-3Lo, much less Rochette et al.

Then, you mean that Mao at her "best" can land a two footed 3A and can pop 3-3 combo into 3-2 or 3-1 much more than Rochette et al ? With regards to these special stuffs, She should be The Best Female Jumper in this world at this point ?

Last edited by a moderator:

champs

Final Flight
I'm here to post what I just watched on TV (TBS) that showed brief moments of NHK practice with Oda landing a beautiful 4T-3T-3Lo combo (the last 3Lo could be UR, I don't know, since I'm no expert) but I guess I'm in a wrong thread...

I wish I could attend the competition (40 minutes by train) and can meet Ashley but sigh...

propronia

Match Penalty
Then, you mean that Mao at her "best" can land a two footed 3A and can pop 3-3 combo into 3-2 or 3-1 much more than Rochette et al ? With regards to these special stuffs, She should be The Best Female Jumper in this world at this point ?

Just read the protocols. Mao at her best can land a 3A with +1.8 GOE (4CC) and a 3F+3Lo with +1.6 GOE (WC).

antmanb

Record Breaker
Just read the protocols. Mao at her best can land a 3A with +1.8 GOE (4CC) and a 3F+3Lo with +1.6 GOE (WC).

Since those were not in the same competition i don't think you can say that that would count. The best Mao has done in a single competition would the "best she can do.

Well, it's safe to say Asada is the best female jumper in the world at this point. By any chance, are you trying to say Kim (a lipper lacking loops) or Rochette (lacking 3-3s) are the better?

Actually in terms of proper technique i think Rochette has better jumps than Asada. Her solo loop, salchow and toe-loop are all better, her lutz doesn't have the edge change. Perhaps the only thing Mao does better is a flip. In terms of the Axel Mao's triple hasn't been a consistent jump for her and Rochette has the cleaner neater (maybe higher too?) double. Personally i'd use Rochette's jumps in training videos.

Ant

Yogudin

Rinkside

Yes, let' go through all the protocols with regards to 3A since 2005 year.

1. 2005 CoC lp: 3A – (slo-mo N/A) UR, two footed, 1.76
2. 2005 TEB lp: 3A – (>1/4 PR), two footed, 7.10
3. 2005 GPF lp: 3A – (>1/4 PR), Success, 7.90
4. 2006 SA lp: 3A – (<1/4 PR) popped, 1.10
5. 2006 NHK lp: 3A - (=1/4 PR) stepped out, 5.70
6. 2006 GPF lp: 3A - (slo-mo N/A) UR, fall, 1.20
7. 2007 Worlds lp: 3A - (<1/4 PR), two footed, 6.50
8. 2007 SC lp: no 3A (replaced with 2A), N/A
9. 2007 TEB lp: 3A - (<=1/4 PR) UR, two footed, fall, 1.00
10. 2007 GPF lp: 3A - (=1/4 PR), two footed, 6.70
11. 2008 4CC lp: 3A - (=1/4 PR), Success, 9.36
12. 2008 Worlds lp: 3A - (slid off), fall, 0.0
13. 2008 TEB lp : 3A - (=1/4 PR), two footed, 6.52

In how many competitions has Mao been at her best? Can you attribute really this kind of 3A to HER as the best Jumper in the world at this moment ? How about, if not at this point, but at the next point?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I thought this was a thread about practices. There are dozens of other skaters in this comp. How are their practices going? :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

propronia

Match Penalty
In how many competitions has Mao been at her best? Can you attribute really this kind of 3A to HER as the best Jumper in the world at this moment ? How about, if not at this point, but at the next point?

Very impressive indeed. In past four years, Mao Asada never avoided the 3A except only once (Skate Canada). In this year, she landed a (two footed) 3A at the first competition of the season. I can see her 3A is more consistent now. The Koreans will be excited to hell if YuNa Kim lands a two footed 3A at a competition, and the Canadians will be same for Rochette. Unfortunately, such things never happen.

Snowgirl

On the Ice
I thought this was a thread about practices. There are dozens of other skaters in this comp. How are their practices going? :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

Who cares about others if there is Mao, her fans and Yu-na's fans.
We have no chance to read about other skaters at all. Same was at TEB.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Snowgirl and yelyoh, I'm with you. Why are the discussions of the ladies always the longest? There's much more excitement, not to mention competent skating, in the dance and the men's. How's Oda doing? And Johnny Weir? Is he practicing his quad? Do P/B look cleaner for the dance? How does Dube/Davison's triple twist look?

That's what I'm interested in, not Mao's popped jumps and whether Yu-Na (who is not at NHK!) lips or not (not, I say) or the status of Joannie's 3-3 (she's not at NHK, either).

beep_beep

Medalist
I'm with buttercup, Snowgirl and yelyoh here...

Come on children, do we have to call Supernanny ???

No one will change anyone else's opinion...
Please get over it.

Now, practise reports please ? I'm dying to see how Oda's doing...

Yogudin

Rinkside
Very impressive indeed. In past four years, Mao Asada never avoided the 3A except only once (Skate Canada). In this year, she landed a (two footed) 3A at the first competition of the season. I can see her 3A is more consistent now. The Koreans will be excited to hell if YuNa Kim lands a two footed 3A at a competition, and the Canadians will be same for Rochette. Unfortunately, such things never happen.

Yes, you are right, it is very impressive indeed that Mao has got some + GEO only 2 times among 13 trials, but she has never avoided it in past 4 years. Are you very proud of that consistency - 2/13 and will you be excited to hell if Mao land a two-footed 3A again in NHK trophy in that way to be with a consistency ratio such like 2/14 ?

Last edited:

immoiTW

Rinkside
And I'm with you,too...
Probably the forum system should AUTOMATICALLY create a thread exclusively for Kim-fans and Mao-fans in EVERY sub-forum? :laugh:

I'm not a Japanese nor a Korean, and I love BOTH Asada and Kim.
For me it's really meaningless to argue who is the best jumper.
Kim has all 5-triples and correct lutz
Mao has 3-axel and good flip (maybe not this season though)
How can you compare them?
They're different, each has her own strength and weakness.

BTW How's Oda doing? Never a fan, but I kind of miss him after one year, and I'm really excited to know he did 4-3-3 !!

Snowgirl and yelyoh, I'm with you. Why are the discussions of the ladies always the longest? There's much more excitement, not to mention competent skating, in the dance and the men's. How's Oda doing? And Johnny Weir? Is he practicing his quad? Do P/B look cleaner for the dance? How does Dube/Davison's triple twist look?

That's what I'm interested in, not Mao's popped jumps and whether Yu-Na (who is not at NHK!) lips or not (not, I say) or the status of Joannie's 3-3 (she's not at NHK, either).

frozenhell

Rinkside
Very impressive indeed. In past four years, Mao Asada never avoided the 3A except only once (Skate Canada)..

I think it is actually bad thing. I still can't figure out why Mao attempted 3axel in world championship when 2axel would've been enough.
I will be really surprised if Tarasova really believes two 3 axel program is possible.

propronia

Match Penalty
NHK news clip
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7jbuq_mao-news2_sport
Asada is intensely practicing the 3F+3Lo. Tarasova advises Mao to nail a combination by whatever means even if the timing isn't perfect. She's trying to make a combination from uneasy body balances. I think this advice is working for her. Nakano is still hesitant about the 3A. She will consult with her coach whether or not to attempt this time.

http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/other/headlines/skate/20081127-00000019-kyodo_sp-spo.html
In the morning pratice session, Asada has made many jumping errors, but in the afternoon, her condition is improving. She landed a triple axel combo and recovered some confidences. The above video covers the afternoon one.

Kinga

Medalist
None of them is the best jumper in the world. As someone said, it is difficult to compare those two. Plus, who cares who is the best jumper in the world?? Figure skating is not about jumps...
But I would just laugh a lot if at the end of the season Joannie Rochette reconciles [everyone] (nothing againts Mao and Yuna themselves) by winning the WC and proving that she is an extremely good jumper. :).

PS If it only did matter, and if only Julia Sebestyen did not pop her jumps into doubles, I have no doubt that she would be the best jumper. But it does not matter any way. :)