Favorite Ladies Olympic Gold Performance | Golden Skate

Favorite Ladies Olympic Gold Performance

B

BronzeisGolden02

Favorite Ladies Olympic Gold Performance

What was your favorite ladies Olympic Gold medal performance? All four of these ladies had great Olympic experiences (for the most part) and left their mark on the sport forever with memorable performances. Which sticks with you the most?

B

BronzeisGolden02

Re: Favorite Ladies Olympic Gold Performance

This is a difficult decision and I'm a bit torn between Lipinski and Hughes. I think it was the absolute surprise of these victories that make them both stand-outs. Tara came out in Nagano and for one night had me drawn in by more than just the jumps, she really exhibited a fire and determination and I thought it was an incredible skate. Yet, Sarah Hughes and her performance in SLC would probably get my vote among this field. What a shock! I'd always enjoyed Sarah and been a fan but I'd never seen her put everything she had into a performance. WOW! She attacked but was elegant and poised, such a beautiful moment for her. And her face at the end was priceless! She had shocked even herself and done what no one in the world would have ever expected.

S

SHINE2002

I wouldn't call Tara's win an "absolute surprise". She was more of a co-favorite with Michelle.
I voted for Tara's performance because she was pure joy that night. She totally owned the ice with that program. She might not have been as refined or sophisticated as some of the other skaters, but she had absolute authority in every single movement. Tara's youthfulness and excitement were and are still unmathed today.

C

Callystarr

<span style="color:red;"><em><strong>Ummmm,

Oksana Baiul, her program was really good, the rest of those performances were just technical performances...ie..Sarah Hughes, Tara Lipinski...Kristi Yamaguchi won on a rather lackluster performance.

SO OKSANA</strong></em></span>

P

Pookie

It's not my favorite but Tara and Sarah's stick with me the most because, to me, they were both so unexpected. I was rather shocked after both of them.

My favorite would be Kristi's. She is such a class act and always has been.

N

Ninjagirl

Oksana. She skated so beautifully

S

sk8ing lady2001

Mine was definitely Sarah Hughes! She skated well, not only with the jumps, but also emotionally! :D

D

DORISPULASKI

Probably Dorothy Hamill's performance, who wasn't listed. Or Carol Heiss.

D

Dee4707

I had a hard time picking between Tara and Sarah. I ended up choosing Sarah. I think coming from behind as she did merited my vote.

Dee

I

icenut84

I voted for Tara. I watched it again a couple of times the other day. It was just incredible.

R

Raelynne

Sarah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Z

Z Lady

While the other ladies are certainly wonderful skaters, I have to say Oksana. She's a classic!

S

Show 42

Doris, I'm with you. I voted for "other" because Dorothy's performance stood out in my mind over the other ladies.....42

K

Kasey

Gotta be Sarah....total underdog all the way, and then on that night, she needed all the stars to align exactly, and skate perfectly....and of course, both happened! :)

Kasey

L

Lucy25

Definitely Kristi. I really wanted her to win and she did (even though it was not a perfect performance).

K

Kara Bear

Tara..she skated with pure joy. i love her reaction when she finished her skate. i remember sandra bezic saying something like, "shes just being herself and skating with alll her heart...that heart just happems to belong to a 15 year old." i always liked that quote.

J

Joesitz

I'll take Sarah in the group listed but my all time favorite Oly skate by a female is Peggy Flemming. Better than Ms Heiss,
Ms Henie or Ms Albright.

Those listed did what they were expected to do. No big surprises except for Sarah.

Just my opinions.

Joe

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

Sarah... to unexpected.... I mean with Michelle and Sasha and Irina... and that only half way decent short program of Sarah's... there was no WAY she could make it to first....

just goes to show you what can happen when the pressure is OFF

P

patsue

I voted for "other" also. My favorite is Peggy Fleming's win in 1968. After the plane crash that killed our figure skating team going to worlds in 1961- -the US figure skating program was predicted to take years to rebuild, possibly 10 years or longer. Seven years later Peggy won, re-establishing our skaters as being among the best in the world.