Stars On Ice - Lake Placid - Review | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice - Lake Placid - Review

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Stars on ice - Lake Placid Review

Just watched on television. I loved Jeff Buttle's disco program. He is such a wonderful performer away from the stress of competition. I enjoyed Michael's and Todd's performances. John Zimmerman really surprised me. He was very entertaining-- more so than when he skated pairs. I really enjoyed Sasha's second program. She is still as lovely as ever--such elegance. Although I applaud her efforts to try something entirely different (for her) with the first number, I really don't like the music she used.

I must agree with whomever it was that thought Jennifer Robinson was the weakest link. This really surprised me because I used to really like her skating. In contrast Yuka Sato is such a smooth and lovely skater.

I did enjoy the group numbers. All and all a very good show.

Dizzy

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
haven't had time to watch it, though I taped it :)

Did see the last couple of solos and the finale... it's just GREAT to have SOI on TV again and it not be an overproduced infomercial for the show.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Watched the show today and enjoyed it. I loved Sasha's second number, elegance beyond elegance, nice job. I didn't like Shen & Zhao's number, I love them but the number was an insult to their talent. I didn't care much for the music choices. All in all I did enjoy it.

Dee

Hate to be a bummer, but none of those skaters could do well as eligible competitors now. I don't even think in Pro comps if there were any.

A few of them looked good to continue in shows, but time is running out for others.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Kulik´s "Sixteen Tons" has great choreography, I wonder whose it is? The same as was for "Too Darn Hot" a while ago, perhaps? "Song for the King" is outwardly beautiful, but it lacks heart, in my opinion. The lack of it could have been prevented by choreography. Fewer arm moves with more impact plus continuing them and other moves longer would have created the feeling. In many cases less is more beautiful, in my opinion. I really enjoy seeing Kulik skating to a balletic programme!!!

Kulik´s jumping has always been awesome and beautiful, and after so many years from his Olympic win it still is, WOW!

I still have to watch the rest of the broadcast, wanted to see Kulik first...

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Watched the show today and enjoyed it. I loved Sasha's second number, elegance beyond elegance, nice job. I didn't like Shen & Zhao's number, I love them but the number was an insult to their talent. I didn't care much for the music choices. All in all I did enjoy it.

I agree about Sasha's program of course. It was stunningly beautifully.
But honesty it was the only thing I liked in the whole 2 hours. Shen and Zhao with her wig on was sort of embarrassing...they are much better than that. Everybody else skated to sub-par songs. I really don't understand why SOI keeps inviting Jennifer Robinson back. She seems to be in every show I see on TV, but the only thing she can do is smile. I would rather see an upcoming juvenile skater come out and do a similar program.

Mimzy

Rinkside
Loved the more classic skating, the 60 stuff isn't my liking. But over all every enjoyable!
Zimmerman, Ila, Todd, Sasha - really loved them!

Is Jason Dungeon still skating? I miss him with Yuka.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I want to say Jason still skates, but I think his main focus on coaching, which means no touring for him...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We were out yesterday afternoon, but got home in time to see Sasha's "Moonlight Sonata" :clap: and the finale. :biggrin: Looking forward to playing back the whole broadcast tonight. I'm very glad to hear that most of the group numbers were shown. :agree:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'll be a minority of one, it appears -- I enjoyed Shen and Zhao's number. Didn't think it was their best, and the character acting was a stretch for them, but I found it entertaining.

Kulik's skating is still just fine but he is showing some age in his face -- definitely looks 30-something, not a kid anymore!

I used to enjoy Jennifer Robinson, but she's a snoozer now, as others noted. And as much as I've always loved Yuka, just watching her pretty much stroke around (despite her wonderful edges!) has finally grown old. She's just been around too long in these things -- my goodness, she's what, 15 years past her title? Time for her to move on, for sure. She's just not doing anything new or different and it's same ol', same ol' to me, in a big way. I wouldn't mind if Jason came back and they did pairs, though.

Weiss struck a nice balance for me between his macho, showy choreography and actual skating. Yeah, he had the backflip and the dancy moves, but didn't seem so over the top with it. I think I enjoyed him the most, which surprises me as I was never a fan of his.

I've like D/L tremendously since they joined SOI -- I like their show numbers better than their competition dances, and I still enjoyed them yesterday.

John Z. still entertains, for sure.

I liked the SOI show better than any of the recent holiday specials except perhaps Holiday Celebration on Ice. I'm not inspired to try to track down the show live, however.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I have really enjoyed Michael more since he retired and is in shows. I think perhaps, it might be that he has better choreographers.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have really enjoyed Michael more since he retired and is in shows. I think perhaps, it might be that he has better choreographers.

Likely true.! When Michael was eligible, wasn't his choreographer his wife?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I agree. His jumps have been solid as a rock in the shows, which certainly helps and hits a pretty good medium between entertainment and silliness.

I also agree with rallycairn's comment about Yuka. Her "The long and winding road" program had no realtionship to the music whatsoever. She could make a fortune as a MITF coach though.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Weiss struck a nice balance for me between his macho, showy choreography and actual skating. Yeah, he had the backflip and the dancy moves, but didn't seem so over the top with it. I think I enjoyed him the most, which surprises me as I was never a fan of his.

Yes, I have understood that since he was invited, Weiss has been a huge audience success in SOI. No Olympic gold medal, but he sure knows how to entertain and draw people into his programmes.

On Skye TV Buttle´s both programmes were shown, and I really loved them both very much. Hopefully he will be a cast member in next season!!! Eldrege´s programme from NBC broadcast was really great. And Zimmerman´s charisma is huuuge, WOW...

I loved Sasha´s both programmes, especially the "Moonlight Sonata", she is just fantastic show skater....

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We played back the show last night and really loved it as a whole. We were especially glad to see many of the group numbers in their entirety. We liked the fluff pieces too, especially the one with Yuka talking about how it feels to be in the arena commentating on skaters' performances (loved seeing the clips of skaters in the arena, especially Fumie :love:).

Does anyone know the name of the woman who introduced the skaters?

I wasn't crazy about Shen & Zhao's program, but I give them credit for "branching out." Sasha's "Moonlight Sonata" was lovely. John was impressive as a solo skater (although I do hope Kyoko will be back with him as pair skaters). Mike fits in very well in SOI - such energy. And of course, I'm always glad to see "my" Todd skate his programs, especially when he spins and does his Russian Split Jumps. Welcome back, Ilia - it's great to have him back for the whole tour.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Likely true.! When Michael was eligible, wasn't his choreographer his wife?

Yes, Lisa was his "choreographer" (if you can even call her that). She was a dance major in college IIRC.

I always sort of felt sorry for Mike because he couldn't really tell her "no" or "I need to go in a new direction" like he might have been able to with a different choreographer :rofl: now at least he has an excuse "SOI wants me to change it up, gotta do what the boss says!" :rofl:

though he seems fine with keeping it all in the family.