Help with Custom Made Boots | Golden Skate

Help with Custom Made Boots

mom.of.skater

Spectator
I need help finding out information in regards to custom made boots.

I keep hearing about boots made by schindlers but cant find anything on the net about them.

Please help.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.goldenskate.com/marketplace/boots.shtml

Here is a listing of ads for boot manufacturers and sellers, with links to their websites.

Anyone wishing to submit another store, website, or manufacturer's name for inclusion in the list has only to click on the link on that page.

The GS guidelines prohibit links to commercial websites in the fan forum part of the website.

Last edited:

dupagegal

Rinkside
Custom made boots

Well there are as many opinions as options on this one: :thumbsup: I will give you my opinion. SP Teri. I find it very important that the MFG listen to you and respond to your issues when you buy custom. And you will have issues if you are a competitive skater with Boots and Blades....my two cents is that George listens to you and will work with you.

SP-Teri Figure Skates
What makes SP-Teri figure skates a great fitting boot? Simple: the SP-Teri, last designed by Joseph Spiteri in 1963, allows the skater’s foot to lay flat in the boot for maximum comfort and control. Since 1963, the SP-Teri figure skate has been modified only three times to keep step with the evolution of the human foot.

For control, SP-Teri has always realized that skaters need a skating boot that fits snugly but not tightly. Instead of a pointed toe which can cramp the foot, the SP-Teri figure skate is designed with a rounded toe box. It allows the foot to get close to the end of the boots without squeezing the second, third and fourth toes. The arch of SP-Teri boots has been redesigned to accommodate the lower arches of today’s skaters, which is especially important for younger skaters whose feet are still developing.

SP-Teri boot’s heel pitch allows figure skaters to balance at the center of the blade. A boot with a high heel shifts the skater’s weight to the toe picks, and a low heel throws the weight back. Center balance on the blade gives the skater ideal body position for shifting weight.

The heel in the SP-Teri figure skate is designed narrow to hold the foot more securely. And the back curve holds the heel in a snug position for jumping control.

Features Include:

Hand lasting accurately conforms the boot to the skater’s foot.
SP-Teri is original skating boot with a patented cut tongue for instep and leg comfort.
Top grade, full-grain cow leather
All firm leather counters are treated for moisture resistance
All leather insoles, mid soles, and outsoles
Stylish, low-cut design with narrow heel fit
Sueded, side-split leather linings
Backstays, inside and out
Steel-ribbed shanks
Sturdy, no-blend hooks

mskater93

Record Breaker
You have had good experiences with SP Teri. I have had excellent experiences with Harlick (Rudy and Phil are VERY responsive to all my requests and needs that I've had with regard to my boots). I have a friend who has had issues with both manufacturers as well as Klingbeil but is VERY happy with dealing with Reidell Many people swear by Klingbeils and say Don's done fabulous work for them. I think it mostly depends on the shape of your foot what boot works best for the skater and the expectation a person has about the boot. If you think a custom boot will all of a sudden get you a double Axel, you are sadly mistaken. If you think it should be well fitting and adjustments made when it isn't, then any manufacturer should be able to meet your needs. The best bet is to find a good fitter who will put you in a variety of boots to see what is going to fit the skater best.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I totally agree with Mskater. I am also very happy with my cutom SP Teris but I know people who are thrilled with their custom Harlicks and custom Klingbeils as well. A lot of it does have to do with the shape of your particular foot. The skater should go to a highly reputed boot fitter who has worked with all different boot makers and can make a recommendation based on the shape of the skater's foot and any other determining factors.

hanca

Record Breaker
I have custom made Klingbeil and I am very happy with them. This is my second custom made Klingbeil boots. They fit very nicely and I found it much easier to break them in than the boots I had before. Of course custom made boots are not going to give you skills that you wouldn't have otherwise, but I find them comfortable. I used to have boots that were giving me cramps and gave me some bunions. After about a year of suffering (and bunions getting bigger and painful) I decided to go for custom made boots. Bunions are still there (I think they will never disappear now); but at least don't hurt when I skate anymore.

mskater93

Record Breaker
IOf course custom made boots are not going to give you skills that you wouldn't have otherwise, but I find them comfortable.

This is a VERY important point. There are people who think a custom boot will solve "all their ills" as a skater. :p

aaren-sk8

Spectator
Need suggestion rhythmic ribbon

Hi All,

anybody can tell me where can I order good ribbon & wand/stick for rhythmic ribbon?

thanks a bunch

no toepicks

Spectator
name brands are the way to go

I think big names are the best way to go. names like jackson, harlick, sp teri, klingbeil, riedell, even edea. these companies have a name for a reason. sure, they might have money but more importantly, they have top athletes wearing their product. they are making their boots lighter and more durable and better for the athletes. Ive been in skating for more than 25 years at a high level coaching and never heard of scheindlers. I say go for a brand you can find easily and can talk to a real person locally.

lcd

Match Penalty
Klingbeil's are very much "lighter" than most of the others. They tend to break in more easily as well ... or conversely, if you are an aggressive jumper, may wear-out more quickly. Depends what you want.

candlestick

Spectator
I've skated cutom boots from Reidel for 2 years, Klingbeil for 1 year, SP-teri for 5 years and Harlicks for 4 years I've probably had a total of 8 or 9 pairs of custom boots.and I have to say that Harlicks are the most natural feeling boots I have skated.
Although to be honest everyone has different feet and opinions on which brand is the best varies because of this. Boot makers have a tendancy to cater to a specific foot type even though they are customs but given the right measurements a mainstream or good boot maker can make atleast a decent boot. Which brings me to my next point.
If you are going to have custom boots made, more important that the brand is taking good measurements. Make sure to vocalize abnormalaties in the foot or any needs or wants... this is a custom boot, take advantage of it. If there is a spot on the ankle that experiences irritation on a normal boot or if you tend to tie your skates loose, or you always get blisters in a cirtain spot... say something about it. It is also important to be with someone who specializes in taking these measurements (or a coach). If you skate with socks on, measure with socks, when you trace your foot trace both standing on the foot and not standing on the foot...etc. Give the boot maker as much detail as you can and you will get the most out of custom boots.

Last edited: