Who has the best edges as they stroke? (Men) | Golden Skate

Who has the best edges as they stroke? (Men)

Who has the best edges as they stroke over the ice?

• Total voters

Bennett

Record Breaker
Multiple answers.
My votes go to Johnny, Tomas, Oda, Kozuka, Patrick, and others (Daisuke).

Last edited:

champs

Final Flight
I actually don't know the definition of edges being good or bad, but I pick Patrick Chan for the one who impresses me the most visually with the flow he creates on the ice. Tomas Verner and Daisuke Takahashi would be my second and third picks in either order. I don't watch ice dance but probably male ice dancers probably have better stroking and control.

Okami

On the Ice
I voted for Nobu - I saw him skate live and it was incredible. In practices, he made other skaters look as if they stood in place. While other skaters needed a few fast strokes to develop speed (I especially noticed this with Caro, whose strokes are short and fast) Nobu generated speed with no visible effort - one, two almost lazy strokes and then he was flying across the ice. The impression of the flight was only made stronger by the fact that his blades make absolutely no noise.

I think Patrick and Takahiko have great edges as well, but I've never saw them live. Please compete somewhere close to Poland, boys! :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
others - Paul Wylie, Kurt Browning (surprised? lol), Brian Boitano, Brian Orser

Okami

On the Ice
I would also vote for Kurt Browning and Paul Wylie, but the choices in the poll made me think that this is a poll about the current skaters. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I voted for a couple of the current crop... but as I've done with all of the other polls I've given a shout out to the golden era club. ;)

Bennett

Record Breaker
(I especially noticed this with Caro, whose strokes are short and fast) Nobu generated speed with no visible effort - one, two almost lazy strokes and then he was flying across the ice.

When I saw the last ladies comp at the Olympics on TV, I felt the same for Shizuka. She had the least crossovers among top ladies. Others looked busier stroking. Nobu has very soft, deep knee bend.

Last edited:
L

LKR722

Buttle!!:biggrin: Of the current ones I voted Kozuka, Chan, Johnny, Jeremy, and Tomas. I also agree with Tonichelle that some of the best were Kurt :love:, Paul Wylie, Boitano, and Orser.

Teenes

On the Ice
I have too much time on my hands today. I actually don't really know how to judge quality of edges as they stroke, though Patrick Chan did impress me.

But since I'm doing the YouTube link thing, I think Kurt's Triptico is a great program that shows off sheer joy in edging :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPD2I5vD9F4

Bennett

Record Breaker
I am no expert on this matter.

But I like PatChan's and Kozuka's. It looks like their blades stay on the ice long at deep angles. I feel that PatChan's may give a bit smoother and softer impression than Kozuka's.

Johnny's also look very smooth.

I also love Tomas's. He is always extremely busy dancing. But it looks like his blades stay on the ice long at deep angles and changes of the edges look very smooth. I was initially not interested in him when I first saw him in a bizarre pink & yellow green costume (I have a tendency to be distracted by costumes). But I just fell in love with his skating skills since I first saw him closely. I have become a big, loyal fan of him since then.

Last edited:

vlaurend

Final Flight
Chan and Kozuka. A couple of years ago I saw Taka Kozuka just step on the ice and stroke around and couldn't believe the silence of his edges and the speed, flow and ease over the ice. He wasn't even doing anything!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I voted for Johnny... I had an opportunity to see him at COI with ice-side seats and when he floated by, you couldn't even hear his blades. Wow. Blew me away. More importantly - it made me a fan.

stevlin

On the Ice
best edges

Jeffrey Buttle hands down. He is a perfectionist. Edges, footwork, spins, etc. :yes: