2008-09 Grand Prix Final of Figure Skating Preview | Golden Skate

2008-09 Grand Prix Final of Figure Skating Preview

Okami

On the Ice
Armed with a fairly consistent quadruple toe loop

Uhm, he has yet to land it cleanly, and his rate of success in practices is 1/5. :)

Kozuka is oftentimes a scrappy skater

He is what?! He, Patrick and Nobunari have by far the best skating skills. Calling him a scrappy skater is like calling Lambiel a mediocre spinner. ;)

The most technical skater of the competition, Joubert could attempt as many as three quadruple jumps in his freeskate, but he would be better served to focus on skating clean programs if he wants to contend for the title.

In fact, Brain stated in an interview that he is planning one quad and two triple axels in his LP this season.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
He is what?! He, Patrick and Nobunari have by far the best skating skills. Calling him a scrappy skater is like calling Lambiel a mediocre spinner. ;)
I don't think scrappy refers to his skating skills, and I'm not getting into a debate whose are best, except to say I disagree with your picks ;). I think it was more of a reference to inconsistency and occasional lack of flow in the programs; the former label could be applied to just about every skater in the men's field; in fact, in every field except maybe the dance.

Brain stated in an interview that he is planning one quad and two triple axels in his LP this season.
I read an interview in which he said he wants to do two quads in the LP - quad toe and quad sal, but no quad combo IIRC - as well as two 3As. But definitely not three quads, as you stated. I think it would be too risky, and I'm not sure there's enough reward even with the tinkered scoring to justify such risk, unless a skater has Plush-like consistency. Which none of them do. Brian's got the 3As, at least... Does anyone remember if he has actualy landed a 4S in competition other than his 3 quad LP at 2006 CoR?

BTW, I don't think Joubert has had problems with consistency in recent years; only this season. Last year his problem was health issues, and the year before that there were no real consistency issues.

I'm also not sure GPF is a spotlight whose glare is too bright for Tomas Verner. Euros is a bigger deal, and he's won that. Worlds is another matter.

And I strongly doubt B&A will win the dance. I'm not even sure they'll be the top American team; D&W have been getting a lot of love.

lmarie086

Medalist
And I strongly doubt B&A will win the dance. I'm not even sure they'll be the top American team; D&W have been getting a lot of love.

I'm starting to think K/N might win it. They've got the highest FD score of all the teams going to the GPF, and their OD score is up there as well. I'm still questioning whether DomShabs should go, the way his knees are. IMO, it would be better to miss this to prepare for the rest of the season.

And yes it could be because I'm a big fan, but I take issue with this:
Davis and White will have to skate with much more confidence and accuracy than they have to date should they hope to hang with the top teams, but it is likely that they will never challenge for the podium in this competition.

Their highest FD score is within a point of B/A's; why is it so sure that they cannot challenge for the podium, especially considering there is no CD? And I doubt the disaster of their OD at CoR will be repeated. I think they have the potential to make the podium, not necessarily that they will.
My real point is that the teams are so close that it's hard to predict what will really happen.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm starting to think K/N might win it. They've got the highest FD score of all the teams going to the GPF, and their OD score is up there as well. I'm still questioning whether DomShabs should go, the way his knees are. IMO, it would be better to miss this to prepare for the rest of the season.
I originally picked Del/Schoe, but if I'm looking at who will most benefit from not having a CD, I agree that K/N might win.

And yes it could be because I'm a big fan, but I take issue with this:
Davis and White will have to skate with much more confidence and accuracy than they have to date should they hope to hang with the top teams, but it is likely that they will never challenge for the podium in this competition.

Their highest FD score is within a point of B/A's; why is it so sure that they cannot challenge for the podium, especially considering there is no CD? And I doubt the disaster of their OD at CoR will be repeated. I think they have the potential to make the podium, not necessarily that they will.

My real point is that the teams are so close that it's hard to predict what will really happen.
I'm actually not a D/W fan - probably the only such person on GS ;). So I'm really looking at it solely based on results. Meryl and Charlie won SC - rightly, I think - and medalled at CoR behind two strong teams and despite that atrocious OD performance, which to me means the following: 1. they're really good; 2. they have a very good FD; 3. The judges must like them or they wouldn't have been in contention at CoR even with an amazing FD.

You're right - the top teams are very very close. maybe it's not just the men's that we should pull names out of a hat for :p.

lmarie086

Medalist
I originally picked Del/Schoe, but if I'm looking at who will most benefit from not having a CD, I agree that K/N might win.

I'm actually not a D/W fan - probably the only such person on GS ;). So I'm really looking at it solely based on results. Meryl and Charlie won SC - rightly, I think - and medalled at CoR behind two strong teams and despite that atrocious OD performance, which to me means the following: 1. they're really good; 2. they have a very good FD; 3. The judges must like them or they wouldn't have been in contention at CoR even with an amazing FD.

You're right - the top teams are very very close. maybe it's not just the men's that we should pull names out of a hat for :p.

Haha that's ok, I'm not a person who would attack others just for not liking my favorites-diversity is good. But I have to tell you, after the OD I did not think they stood a chance to medal. 8 points is a huge gap to overcome and I really didn't think it was possible.

Maybe I should go look for a hat, I still haven't made my predictions :laugh:.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dance
The interesting thing about the dance field to me is how much trouble the teams have had with their OD's.

DelSchoes have yet to have a good performance of their OD.
They had trouble with the twizzles at SA, tripping and getting level1. At TEB, they tripped on the twizzles (level1 again) and had problem with the spin (level1 also) and were 3rd in the OD. Best TES 28.6 at SA.

Belbin & Agosto skated their OD quite consistently at both SA and COC. However, their levels were not that high. As a result, they were 3rd in the OD at SA, and 2nd at CoC. If K&N had not had problems, they could easily have been 3rd in the OD at CoC too.

DomShabs skated consistenly at CoR and CoC, finishing 2nd and first.

K&N tripped on the twizzles at CoC and as a result were 3rd in the OD, behind DomShabs and Belbin/Agosto. However, they won the OD at CoR and I believe had the highest score of the GP season in the OD.

F/S won the OD at TEB, but did so with a score lower than what D/W won the OD with at SC. At NHK, they lost the OD and the FD as well to P&B, a team that D/W trounced by 16 points overall at SC. F/S also fell in the OD at NHK.

D/W have chosen to do a very, very difficult OD-they are Charlestoning at high speed for the whole thing without any resting spots. Frankly, I think they need to put a rest stop in it. They totally melted down on the OD at CoR, but their SC OD was very good, although there was a minor trip in the midline sequence, which dropped it to Lev 2.

All the teams have had better performances in the FD. And B&A, DomShabs, K&N and D&W are all within a point or two of each other, looking at their best FD score. Based on their two great FD's, I think DW have to be taken seriously. The best evidence for this is not my opinion, because I'm fond of them. The best evidence is the review of Jonathon Guerreiro, of the Junior Russian dance team of Riazanova & Guerreiro. Jonathon and Katia will be competing at the JGPF (and I wish them every success)! Here's what Jonathon had to say about D&W's FD (scroll down past Jonathon's pictures):

http://www.ice-dance.com/events-results/reports/cupofrussia08/blog/

D&W were ahead of DomShabs and only about a point behind K&N:

Today we really enjoyed Davis & White. They were on today. They skated the best we have ever seen them. What really amazed us was how technical they were!! On television it can sometimes be difficult to see lobes, edges, and speed. We really loved their spin, because it is just as difficult as it can get, and still they manage to execute it very well. Their circular step sequence was very edgy, and they didn't lose any speed thought it. We liked all of their lifts, especially their first combination lift, which was very innovative and well executed. The only part where I found them a little uncomfortable was the midline step sequence, where they began to slow down in the middle, and the lobes in the one-foot section were small compared to the ones they did in the circular. However, overall it was an excellent performance, and we really think they deserved they marks.

If you can come up from 8 points back in dance to medal, you have a heck of a free dance.

So the first check point is which teams skate their OD's without error. After that, it's very, very close. and it's going to be all PCS, and in the hands of the judges--or the hat.

For me, the teams that are weakest here (an event of FD+OD) is F/S, and if not held up by high PCS, DelSchoes, unless they suddenly bring their A game and skate both programs well.

Which means that all the teams are really close, actually.

PAIRS
As to the pairs, I would say that the Zhangs have improved and are back to their 2006 form. Their SP is particularly beautiful and they show a much better relationship with each other and the music than they have before.

Their placing will depend on who lands what in the LP. Frankly, I have found S&S below their 2007 form and think they are more beatable this year than last. Their errors have multiplied to the point that it is now irritating to me to watch their performances.

I would agree that K&S have also definitely improved. M&T are still very inconsistent and it's hard for me to picture them skating the two relatively error free programs that they will need to win.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ditto. Love Davis and White :)

I think you misread what we were saying... I appreciate their skating, but I'm not a fan... their skating does nothing for me. They look pretty out there, but I'm not as moved as others are.

to each their own :)

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I think you misread what we were saying... I appreciate their skating, but I'm not a fan... their skating does nothing for me. They look pretty out there, but I'm not as moved as others are.

to each their own :)

oh. Whoops :laugh:

Well actually I prefer Belbin and Agosto over them...............actually I prefer Samuelson and Bates over both of them but that is just me :)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Patrick Chan is from CANADA...not Usa. Elvin put him down as usa.

Goodness gracious, if USA claimed Patrick Chan, Canadian men's figure skating would be in VERY deep doo-doo!!! :eek: :laugh: I love Shawn Sawyer to death, but I know it would be an EXTREMELY frightening situation for a 3-Axel-less (and sometimes 3-lutz-less!) male skater to be crowned Canadian champion. Ditto for Kevin Reynolds. Sure, he's a quad machine, but I don't want a shaggy-haired boy who looks like a cross between a poodle and a wood elf in his Tacky Tarasova costumes to be our #1 athlete. That is just WRONG!!! :p

The 2009 US Nationals would get pretty crowded if Patrick were competing there; the battle for the World team is going to be quite bloody as it is!

lmarie086

Medalist
Ditto for Kevin Reynolds. Sure, he's a quad machine, but I don't want a shaggy-haired boy who looks like a cross between a poodle and a wood elf in his Tacky Tarasova costumes to be our #1 athlete. That is just WRONG!!! :p

The 2009 US Nationals would get pretty crowded if Patrick were competing there; the battle for the World team is going to be quite bloody as it is!

:rofl: You truly have a way with words...

Patrick Chan is awesome, but Canada can keep him. There will be more then plenty of drama at the US Nationals, makes my head spin just thinking about it...

I really do think I might try that hat idea.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
:rofl: You truly have a way with words...

Thanks. :) You might like the one, too: I honestly believe Evan's LP outfit was the unfortunate result of a sparkly weather balloon and a penguin caught in a nuclear blast.

Patrick Chan is awesome, but Canada can keep him. There will be more then plenty of drama at the US Nationals, makes my head spin just thinking about it...

I get goosebumps just imagining it as well...

I really do think I might try that hat idea.

:chorus:

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
siberia82, you've started a trend! Considering the top American men and the top three French guys, perhaps we need to use this method for Nationals this year, too :biggrin:.

I found Chan's LP and SP from TEB on a content sharing site that will not be named ;) and finally watched both. You guys can keep him. He's got lovely skating skills and great footwork, but I actually stopped halfway through the LP because it wasn't holding my interest at all. And having seen it, now I really don't get how his TES was so high.

As far as I'm concerned, the best winning LP of the season was Abbott's, and I don't care where it ranks in terms of the actual score.

lmarie086

Medalist
As far as I'm concerned, the best winning LP of the season was Abbott's, and I don't care where it ranks in terms of the actual score.

ITA. His performance at CoC was just amazing. And what's funny is that I actually prefer both of his programs from last season (although his current ones are wonderful as well), but it seems to me that he's more consistent with what he has this season.

Thanks. :) You might like the one, too: I honestly believe Evan's LP outfit was the unfortunate result of a sparkly weather balloon and a penguin caught in a nuclear blast.

:chorus:

EWalker

On the Ice
Patrick Chan is from CANADA...not Usa. Elvin put him down as usa.

That was a mistake in the cutting and pasting into the predictions section. Sorry about that. I have notified the web editor, and it should be fixed shortly. In the article, Chan was rightly identified as from Canada. :yes:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
siberia82, you've started a trend! Considering the top American men and the top three French guys, perhaps we need to use this method for Nationals this year, too :biggrin:.

Wow, who knew one of my silly jokes could so influential! I also think the Magic Paper Gods would know better than any of us what the outcome will be for both the French and US Nats. :laugh:

I found Chan's LP and SP from TEB on a content sharing site that will not be named ;) and finally watched both. You guys can keep him. He's got lovely skating skills and great footwork, but I actually stopped halfway through the LP because it wasn't holding my interest at all. And having seen it, now I really don't get how his TES was so high.

I really like his SP and Ex this season (though I sincerely hope for the latter that we'll get to see a version where he doesn't crash into the boards :frown:), but his LP left me lukewarm. The routine is beautiful, yet kinda boring, if that makes any sense.

I'm fond of Patrick (although I wouldn't call myself a fan yet), but I do agree that he's overmarked. :scowl: I know that I got excited on the TEB thread when I first saw his SP scores, but after watching the performance, I do feel that they were a little too high. He's an "artiste" in the making, but he's not Buttle's equal yet, so he shouldn't be receiving Buttle-like marks (I believe you're the one who made this comment?).

ITA. His performance at CoC was just amazing. And what's funny is that I actually prefer both of his programs from last season (although his current ones are wonderful as well), but it seems to me that he's more consistent with what he has this season.

Jeremy's SP this season is actually my favourite of the men, but I admit that I like his "Waltz Medley" LP slightly better (even with the atrocious music cuts :p). That being said, I whole heartedly agree that his LP at CoC was the best free skate performance we've seen so far amongst the guys! :love:

:biggrin: This next one belongs to my friend, who was so horrified by Reynolds' grotesque LP costume that she said it looked like someone had barfed on him! :rofl: TAT should never, EVER open a men's clothing store! :eek:

I have notified the web editor, and it should be fixed shortly. In the article, Chan was rightly identified as from Canada. :yes:

Phew, Patrick's still a Canuck after all! ;)