5. Rachel KIRKLAND / Eric RADFORD
6. Monica PISOTTA / Michael STEWART
7. Amanda VELENOSI / Mark FERNANDEZ

Teams from the senior challenges.

1 Brooke Paulin / Brian Shales WO 46.06 81.60 127.66
2 Paige Lawrence / Rudi Swiegers SK 40.58 80.54 121.12
3 Taylor Steele / Christopher Richardson WO 41.46 78.94 120.40
4 Christi Anne Steele / Adam Johnson WO 40.40 73.28 113.68

Wow, the pool of pairs teams is getting smaller every year. Again, I am not sure what the exact start order at the nationals will be or if I included all the byed pairs.

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Byed pairs.

1. Langlois/Hay(?)
2. Dube/Davison
3. Duhamel/Buntin
4. Mylene BRODEUR / John MATTATALL
5. Rachel KIRKLAND / Eric RADFORD
6. Monica PISOTTA / Michael STEWART
7. Amanda VELENOSI / Mark FERNANDEZ

Teams from the senior challenges.

1 Brooke Paulin / Brian Shales WO 46.06 81.60 127.66
2 Paige Lawrence / Rudi Swiegers SK 40.58 80.54 121.12
3 Taylor Steele / Christopher Richardson WO 41.46 78.94 120.40
4 Christi Anne Steele / Adam Johnson WO 40.40 73.28 113.68

Wow, the pool of pairs teams is getting smaller every year. Again, I am not sure what the exact start order at the nationals will be or if I included all the byed pairs.

No you got the byed pairs right. Pity we won't even have the maximum 12 pairs at nationals.

Skate order for nationals short program would be as follows( even put a blank line between each flight)

Steele/Johnson
Steele/Richardson
Lawrence/Swiegers

Paulin/Shales
Pisotta/Stewart ( they competed junior at nationals last year)
Velenosi/Fernandez
Brodeur/Mattatal

Kirkland/Radford
Duhamel/Buntin
Dube/Davison
Langlois/Hay

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Final placings Fedor 1, Joey Russell 2nd- no other details yet

WOO HOO!!!!! Fedor has "fedorized" the competition once again!!! :clap: (To be "fedorized" is yet another Fedor-ism that has been running rampant on FSU. :p)

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The detailed protocols for the men's short program are now up (I was too lazy to check the other disciplines, though ;)): http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/results/2009/09senior/09senior.htm

Ouch, it looks like what hurt Fedor the most during this segment of competition was the -GOEs he received on almost all on his elements. :no: His PCS of 29.50 is kinda low for him (even though it was the highest of all the guys); in comparison, his SP PCS at last year's Challenge was 31.05. Well, he did start training at the last minute, so this isn't the end of the world or anything, but I hope between now and Nats he'll work extra hard on ironing out the wrinkles.

Last edited:

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
The detailed protocols for the men's short program are now up (I was too lazy to check the other disciplines, though ;)): http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/results/2009/09senior/09senior.htm

Ouch, it looks like what hurt Fedor the most during this segment of competition was the -GOEs he received on almost all on his elements. :no: His PCS of 29.50 is kinda low for him (even though it was the highest of all the guys); in comparison, his SP PCS at last year's Challenge was 31.05. Well, he did start training at the last minute, so this isn't the end of the world or anything, but I hope between now and Nats he'll work extra hard on ironing out the wrinkles.

With Brian Orser as his coach, I think he has found new motivation to work his tush off at nationals this year, and finally go to worlds this year.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Details up for the long.
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/results/2009/09senior/sd2.pdf

Fedor beat Joey by a couple of points (although he had a lower technical score), but both will have to improve a bit to challenge for a medal at Canadians. Both are capable of doing so if they skate clean or close to it. Note that Maxime-Billy landed a 4t with +ve GOE in the long....

Thank you so much for the update! :)

Report on another board.

Chris Mabee officially retired from competitive skating.

Really? Are you sure it's not a rumour? My sixth sense said that Chris wouldn't return for the 2009/2010 season, but I didn't think his retirement would come this early (assuming it's true). It really makes you wonder what turned him off from competition.

good article in the globe & mail about Jeff Buttle choreographing Fedor's programs. http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081208.wsptbuttle1208/GSStory/GlobeSportsOther/home

All hail the generous and mighty aarower! :bow: :bow: :bow: Wow, this article answered a lot of my questions about their new partnership! I wanted to add my own thoughts/feelings about it, but I'm just TOO excited right now!!! :party2: *bounces off the wall*

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I think one of the reasons that Chris has retired, is because of injury and because he realized that he was not going to make the 2010 Olympic team.

By the way, read the article about Fedor....Just about fell over. Loved it, This is so awesome Fedor is coached by Brian Orser with programs choreographed by Jeffery Buttle. He is going to Seize the Day and Nationals and Worlds!!!!!!!

Last edited:

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
According to the folks who went to the challenge were told that Chris Mabee signed a contract with Disney High School Musical On Ice. I get the impression that his heart wasn't in competitions at all. He seems to enjoy the performance aspect of skating, but dislike the stress/pressure coming with competitions.

Too bad that he would have made a 2009 worlds team easily...

Did you guys take a look at the protocols posted on the senior men at the challenge?

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Now that we know that Jeff choreographed Fedor's programs in late October (talk about making up your mind at the last minute! :eek:), it's understandable why Fedor's skating seems rusty compared to last year's in both the SP and the LP. I've already made some observations on the former in an older post, so I'll concentrate on the latter here.

His LP PCS also took a beating (60.40 vs. 66.30 compared to the 2007/2008 Challenge). I can't help but be a little worried about this because PCS was his bread-and-butter at the 2008 Nats (it was the 3rd highest in both the SP & LP after Jeff and Patrick). There are some -GOEs on 5 of his elements, and when he occasionally receives a +GOE, it's a 1, not a 2.

I'm surprised that Fedor didn't save at least one combination for the 2nd half so that he can take advantage of the 10% bonus. Surely either Orser or Jeff would've have pointed this out to him? He should also include a 3-jump combo in there somewhere. Was that early 2-Axel I see on the protocols supposed to be a 3-Axel, but he popped it? I'm guessing his first and/or 2nd combo was meant to be a 3-3, but he doubled the 2nd jump.

His over-all score is almost 13 points less than last year's Challenge. :eek:hwell: For once, Fedor seems to be taking this sport seriously, so I have faith that he will work VERY hard in next 5-6 weeks. But considering how late he returned to the game (later than last season, it seems), will that be enough time to get most of the kinks out? :think:

I do remind myself that this is the guy who managed to secure a decent finish at the 2005 Nats with only 6 weeks of training AND he suffered from the flu. And there is this quote from Jeff:

“In a couple of days, I cranked out both programs as soon as we could, because he needed them ASAP,” Buttle said. “He had sectionals in about a week. I don't know how he did it. I could never have done that. Considering how long he's had them, they look great.''

So, it appears that Fedor possesses excellent procedural memory, which will come in handy.