I passed my first Test! | Golden Skate

I passed my first Test!

Kypma

Final Flight
I passed my first [and next few] Tests!

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry if this thread is rather pointless, I just wanted to share the good news that I just passed my STARSkate (Skate Canada test stream) Preliminary Elements test! :yes: I took up figure skating in Steptember 2006, so this took a little more than 2 years. I now get my own solo over the Christmas break and I'll be starting the Axel soon!

So, to everyone who competes and/or tests, I :bow: you as I was so nervous during my test that my coach kept telling me just to breathe LOL. and well, obviously, I did the most amazing scratch spin I'd ever done (even the other coach there commented on how great it was!), and I usually travel on it, except that the shock made me miss the following 3 spins. My backspin and forward sit barely passed, and well my coach and I knew I couldn't do a camel spin anyways. Any tips for that one?

-Kypma

Last edited:

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Congratulations:clap: The first test is always the worst, they get less nerve racking the more you do.

Kypma

Final Flight
Congratulations:clap: The first test is always the worst, they get less nerve racking the more you do.

Thanks everyone! And I hope the comment above from silver.blades holds for the majority of people, because if testing stays this stressful I'll be dreading them months ahead of time!

-Kypma

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
How wonderful~!
I just started skating xD
So I really look up to people who pass tests. I hope you are successful in your upcoming tests!!!
:yes:

Kypma

Final Flight
YAY!!! I just passed my Preliminary Solo yesterday morning, and my three Preliminary Dances (Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango, Baby Blues) today. So far, the most nerve-wracking test would have to be the solo -- elements I knew I could just redo it if I missed it, and dances well my coach could keep me on pattern, but for the solo you're all alone and... wow :bow: to everyone who competes!!

I'll be testing Preliminary skills in October when I get back to skating and probably my Jr Bronze elements in December. I also should get some dances done over the summer just because they're quite straightforward. My coaches have all this testing scheduled up for me already! :biggrin:

-Kypma

vlaurend

Final Flight
Congratulations!! Also, you have just learned a very valuable lesson that will serve you well in the future: An element done really well can be just as distracting as a fall! LOL!

For the camel spin, bend your spinning leg deeply before pushing off onto the entrance edge and really take your time on the entrance edge. I think the most common problem with the camel is trying to pull up into the spin too soon.

Last edited:

Kypma

Final Flight
I'll be testing Preliminary skills in October when I get back to skating and probably my Jr Bronze elements in December. I also should get some dances done over the summer just because they're quite straightforward. My coaches have all this testing scheduled up for me already! :biggrin:

So, no dances so far, but I've successfully passed my Preliminary Skills and Junior Bronze elements on time according to the plan, so we're getting somewhere! I have to agree with Silver.Blades, though, it is easier the second time around (for the elements) because I knew what to expect...

Thanks to everyone for the kind words of support, and may you all enjoy success in your own skating (and non-skating as well!) endeavours this Christmas season! :agree:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Congrats on passing your first test!:clap::clap: I know how nerves can get in the way, again congratulations:agree: