Buttle keeps making beauty on ice! | Golden Skate

Buttle keeps making beauty on ice!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This article was already posted in the National Events section, but it's nice of you to share it with others who may not be following Canadian competitions. :)

I think choreography would be an ideal career for Jeff! :rock: I can't wait to see the programs he has designed for Fedor Andreev. (For those of you who are unfamiliar with the current crop of lower-ranked Canadian male skaters, Andreev is the beautiful man you see on my avatar. :love:)

Bennett

Record Breaker
It's interesting that the first things that Jeff mentions are Fedor's beautiful looks and that he wanted to underscore his sexiness (in a sublte way, which I think is a right choice:cool: It's always sexier when understated).

I did not know that he was a Calvin Klein model. But no doubt that he is really beautiful and stylish.

I think that Jeff is also beautiful enough to model, perhaps....well,... for Ralph Lauren, with his wholesome, healthy, clean looks :p? He doesn't have anything dangerous in his looks. He seems to have looked most fashionable around 23, but still looked like an adorable idol star than an edgy fashion model. But I think that his looks sell a lot in Asia where skinny, sweet-looking guys are liked a lot (he also has a right height)!

What are the choices of the music for Fedor?

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Is there any footage of Fedor's new programs? I was worried he would retire, but now he has Brian and Jeff behind his back! I really want to see Patrick-Sawyer-Fedor world team! Davai Fedor!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's interesting that the first things that Jeff mentions are Fedor's beautiful looks and that he wanted to underscore his sexiness (in a sublte way, which I think is a right choice:cool: It's always sexier when understated).

Fedor is so drop dead gorgeous that even some straight men have to stop and stare a little. ;) He's exudes a natural animal magnetism which is hard to ignore both on and off the ice. The guy is a real-life Adonis! :bow: I've already posted an almost-shirtless pic of him elsewhere on this forum, so I thought I would go for a more understated (but no less attractive!) photo here: http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/3/12/10/f_Fedor3m_6de5ae5.jpg

And this is his heavenly smile! http://www.flickr.com/photos/23107833@N07/2215022068/sizes/l/

In addition to Jeff, I know that at least Terry Gannon, Peter Carruthers and Dick Button have briefly mentioned something positive about Fedor's looks during their commentary, and Kurt Browning also did the same on an interview he did on a Canadian show called "The Hour" back in January. Knowing that, it's no surprise to me that Tanith Belbin and Tessa Virtue both fell head over heels for this Russian stud muffin. :cool: I've even heard that Sasha Cohen had a huge crush on him at one point!

Jeff and Fedor are good friends, so Jeff understands Fedor's skating style. I fell off my chair when I read the "sexy, subtle" part because it reminded me of what I wrote in a fan letter that I sent to Fedor in June: "You know how to seduce the audience without relying on any cheap gimmicks, which is a rare gift. The sultry beauty you create on the ice is nothing less than a masterpiece." It's nice to know that Jeff whole heartedly agrees with my assessment! :yes:

I did not know that he was a Calvin Klein model. But no doubt that he is really beautiful and stylish.

This article is no longer available for public viewing (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071210.SKATE10/TPStory/Sports), but I do remember this quote:

He was proud to get a Calvin Klein runway show. "A lot of the guys are super skinny," he said. "And I had a figure-skating butt and legs." :laugh:

Fedor has also modelled for Abercrombie & Fitch, Gucci, Hermes, DKNY and Vogue USA. There may be more, but that's all that I know for sure.

I haven't seen many vids or photos of him outside of the competition arena, but his day-to-day clothing can be rather plain or even a bit frumpy. He may be obscenely beautiful, but he doesn't seem to put a lot of emphasis on it. I find this to be a very refreshing trait! :thumbsup:

I think that Jeff is also beautiful enough to model, perhaps....well,... for Ralph Lauren, with his wholesome, healthy, clean looks :p? He doesn't have anything dangerous in his looks.

ITA! Jeff has that irresistible boy-next-door appeal which makes him appear very non-threatening, the kind of sweet guy you can bring home to your mother. He can "play" sexy, but we all know he's an adorable angel at heart. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Here are some model-like pics of Jeff:
http://enlightenedimages.blogspot.com/2008/03/jeff-buttle-2008-world-champion.html
http://enlightenedimages.blogspot.com/2008/09/jeff-buttle-retires-from-amateur.html

He seems to have looked most fashionable around 23, but still looked like an adorable idol star than an edgy fashion model. But I think that his looks sell a lot in Asia where skinny, sweet-looking guys are liked a lot (he also has a right height)!

Yeah, girls in Asia seem to be CRAZY about Jeff! I think they all want to marry him, lol! :p

What are the choices of the music for Fedor?

According to the article, Fedor's SP is set to Jimi Hendrix (no song title is mentioned, though), while his LP music is Tchaikovsky's first Violin Concerto (I'm assuming the term "first" refers to the 1st movement).

Is there any footage of Fedor's new programs?

Not that I know of. :frown:

I was worried he would retire, but now he has Brian and Jeff behind his back! !

I guess you haven't been following the fall Canadian competitions in the National Events section. Fedor won the Eastern Ontario Sectionals in early November and he won the Senior Challenge this past Sunday. He's mentioned in these 3 threads:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24942
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25197
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25711

As you already know, Fedor considered quitting the sport in the summer, but thankfully he found the motivation to continue! :) (Perhaps our fan letters helped?) I just "know" that he'll be better than ever! Gosh, I'm TOTALLY blown away by the fact Jeff is his choreographer and Orser is his new coach! :love: Fedor's extremely short training time is a bit of a concern, but for once, he's actually taking the sport seriously. Imagine that: a committed, determined, hard-working Fedor... life couldn't be more perfect! :agree:

I really want to see Patrick-Sawyer-Fedor world team!

That is my Dream Team as well! :rock: Those 3 would make the most artistic and handsome group of male figure skaters that Canada has ever sent to Worlds! I get goosebumps just thinking about it; the L.A. crowd will faint from all of their voidy skating! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Thank you for your beautiful pictures of Fedor and your passionate accounts on his beauty! I totally enjoyed reading them!

I fell off my chair when I read the "sexy, subtle" part because it reminded me of what I wrote in a fan letter that I sent to Fedor in June: "You know how to seduce the audience without relying on any cheap gimmicks, which is a rare gift. The sultry beauty you create on the ice is nothing less than a masterpiece." It's nice to know that Jeff whole heartedly agrees with my assessment! :yes:

Cool!

He was proud to get a Calvin Klein runway show. "A lot of the guys are super skinny," he said. "And I had a figure-skating butt and legs." :laugh:

Don't worry. You look even more attractive and sexier with them.

Fedor has also modelled for Abercrombie & Fitch, Gucci, Hermes, DKNY and Vogue USA.

Wow, so impressive! He'd be able to make a living as a professional model, no?

ITA! Jeff has that irresistible boy-next-door appeal which makes him appear very non-threatening,

ITA except for that he is too beautiful to be found at the next door in the real world :p! I heard that his face is incredibly small when seen in person and his body has a perfect proportion; not to mention his beautiful eyes and great smile that stand out even through the media full of beautiful ppl. I guess he nonetheless creates an atmosphere of the boy next door perhaps because he dresses simply and talks like good, decent, studious guys on campus.

the kind of sweet guy you can bring home to your mother.

True. A great number of women around his mom's age or older seem to have a complete crush on him. I think that many would agree with his mom's passionate accounts on him (his mom sounds so lovely and adorable in her interviews about him; she sounds like the world's biggest fan of him).

Here are some model-like pics of Jeff

I love this pic. He could make great ads for the United Colors of Bennetton or Clinique's perfume "Happy" for Men or Tommy Hilfiger.

Yeah, girls in Asia seem to be CRAZY about Jeff!

I know! I don't know much about the other countries, but I could surely say that he has a great, long-term fan base in Japan. He's just like skating to his home crowds over there. I heard that the number of flowers and presents he got at his debut at 19 was already comparable to those for the world medalists.
The media typically frames him as a beautiful ice prince with a baby face and an adorable smile to die for. His beautiful skating, cute looks, and adorable atmosphere are considered to be extremely attractive that touch one's soft spot. You could find many cute interview fluffs of Jeff broadcasted by Japanese TV programs.
He also may have become famous for being the first guy to kiss the adorable media darling, Mao Asada:p

According to the article, Fedor's SP is set to Jimi Hendrix (no song title is mentioned, though), while his LP music is Tchaikovsky's first Violin Concerto (I'm assuming the term "first" refers to the 1st movement).

Thanks a lot for your info!

Those 3 would make the most artistic and handsome group of male figure skaters that Canada has ever sent to Worlds! I get goosebumps just thinking about it; the L.A. crowd will faint from all of their voidy skating!

Awww, you are so cute!

Last edited:

vlaurend

Final Flight
Just checked out Fedor's programs from last season since I was not familiar with him. . . I didn't see what the big deal was until I finally saw him smile after his program was over and then saw him close up in the kiss & cry. Yeah, he definitely rivals Joubert and Lambiel in the looks department! And kudos to him for landing a clean 3A in both programs after that much time off!

Fedor 2007-08 SP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6JVb9fTvQM&feature=related

Fedor 2007-08 LP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ksw-8cQw5E

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
*Shrugs* I just don't see what others see in Jeff of Fedor. They honestly, to me, aren't any more attractive than a lot of guys their age.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have to smile at siberia's fandom, as it's really quite cute and sweet, but I really don't find Fedor or Jeff particularly attractive as far as looks go -- but Jeff's personality does make him seem like a really, really great guy. (And Fedor may be very nice, too, for all I know.)

Anway, back to the OP -- I will be very interested in seeing what Jeff produces as a choreographer. IIRC he always spoke very glowingly of his work with David Wilson, and it will be fun to see if he has a similar style to Wilson's but with his own individual stamp.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
This is great news indeed! I knew Jeff would have a career in choreography. I can't wait to see Andrea's programs. I love his skating...

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Actually, this was the coolest section in my fan letter:

"I’ve noticed that your PCS at Nats was the 3rd highest in the both the SP and the LP. All you need to do is to improve your levels/jump consistency and learn how to exploit the CoP system like Jeff does. A podium finish at the 2009 Canadians (which now includes a trip to the Worlds!) is yours for the taking if you really want it."

It's interesting that I suggested to Fedor that he needed to think like Jeff in order to have a shot at making the Nats podium, and he goes one step further---he gets Jeff to do the thinking for him! Smart boy! :clap: Methinks he was inspired by my advice!

Fedor was CoP-cluless during the 2008 Canadians. You get the sense that he was skating a 6.0 program rather than a CoP one. He received low levels for most of his spins/footwork, he failed to take advantage of the 8th jumping pass in his LP and performed an invalid spin element. :banging:

Even with the mistakes he had made, Fedor could've placed 5th (and hence make the National Team) if only he had done more research beforehand. He was SO disappointed with his 8th place finish (which was his worst showing at Canadians) that he stopped training and seriously contemplated hanging up his skates for good. :frown: I tried my best in my letter to convince him that he should be proud of what he had accomplished. 8th is very decent when you consider the circumstances. I can never know for sure, but I like to think that my words may have helped him see his situation in a more positive light.

Don't worry. You look even more attractive and sexier with them.

You're not the only one who feels that way. :biggrin: I can't seem to find the original article anymore (I guess it was taken down), but this was the very start of it:

"Perhaps, some day, Fedor Andreev will assume the job in life for which he was clearly intended - billboard underwear model. I'm just saying."

:laugh: The journalist was obviously quite taken with him. Not that you can blame her. :p

Wow, so impressive! He'd be able to make a living as a professional model, no?

Fedor modelled part-time while he skated to help pay the bills. When his back injury forced him into early retirement, he focused on both his drift racing (he actually has more racing trophies than figure skating medals at the moment) and modelling careers. So yeah, as long as he's pretty, he can live off his looks. :yes:

I guess he nonetheless creates an atmosphere of the boy next door perhaps because he dresses simply and talks like good, decent, studious guys on campus.

I'm very attracted to Jeff's geeky brain! :love: He's one of the most intellectual male skaters I've seen. He's so "adorkable"! :cool:

He also may have become famous for being the first guy to kiss the adorable media darling, Mao Asada:p

I giggled like a school girl when I watched that clip!

Now this is making me scavenge for old A&F catalogs.

If you spot Fedor, let me know ASAP!

And kudos to him for landing a clean 3A in both programs after that much time off!

His back stopped hurting in August of 2007. When Fedor approached Callaghan about returning to the sport, his coach informed him that he shouldn't bother unless he could land the 3-Axel. Fedor gained it back in only 2 days! :rock: Not bad for a guy who had been gone for 3 years AND who was the oldest competitor at the 2008 Canadians (he's 6 months older than Buttle.) The 3-Axel used to be Fedor's biggest nemesis during the early part of his senior career (it was terrifying every time he went for it! :eek:), but he eventually mastered the jump in the 2002/2003 season and now it's his best element. He's 6'1", so I'm guessing that his height probably made it difficult for him.

I have to smile at siberia's fandom, as it's really quite cute and sweet

Awww, that's such a nice way of saying that I'm a hopeless case. ;)

I know there are some people who don't think Fedor is anything special looks-wise, but there are many others who do. He has his own thread on FSU, and considering that he's a "nobody" in the figure skating world, it's quite amazing that it's 33 pages long (each page holds 20 posts) and still going strong! We discuss his beauty just as much as his lovely skating. :bow:

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
"Perhaps, some day, Fedor Andreev will assume the job in life for which he was clearly intended - billboard underwear model. I'm just saying."

OMG! :laugh: Yeah, he is not just beautiful, but really a sexy one.

So yeah, as long as he's pretty, he can live off his looks. :yes:

Wow, that's great. I envy him;)

I'm very attracted to Jeff's geeky brain! :love: He's one of the most intellectual male skaters I've seen. He's so "adorkable"! :cool:

I agree. Jeff indeed seems very smart and intelligent, which makes him even more attractive. His comments are not only logical and intelligent, but also mature and humane.

I also find it adorable that he is hooked to Sudoku:laugh:. His math brain would have helped him with CoP:agree:

I also liked that he always had some underlying background themes behind his programs. It was very interesting to read his thoughts on his programs.

Yes, I could imagine that Jeff would be a great help for CoP-friendly programs for Fedor. In the article, Jeff implies that the programs are choreographically demanding. So they would be very interesting programs to watch:love:

jyshin

On the Ice
I hope Jeff kicks Fedor's azz to stop him from drifting around when he spins.
Moreover, I am glad to hear that Fedor is no longer hanging on to Tessa as his choreographer :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't consider Fedor a "nobody" he's one of the kids that grew up in the sport with some semi famous parents and he skated in Sergei Grinkov's Celebration of Life tribute...

he made waves early on (when Ryan Bradly was making waves) and then disappeared, but he's hardly unknown in the skating world.

Heck, if I know who he is and I don't really follow the "unseen" skaters all that often (I do more now than I did when he was the hot item of talk)...

Winnipeg

Final Flight
I didn't know he had studied violin for 10 years and played in an orchestra - very impressive!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
OMG! :laugh: Yeah, he is not just beautiful, but really a sexy one.

I think the only reason why we haven't seen Fedor on a billboard underwear ad is because of potential car accidents. Can you imagine how many female drivers would be unable to keep their eyes on the road if they saw his almost naked physique???

Here are a few more quotes from that article which is no longer on-line:

He's 25 - oldest male here - and one-time national junior champion, sexiest thing to come down the pike for Skate Canada in ages, round about the turn of the millennium, when girl fans (and some girl reporters) squealed every time he stepped on the ice.

Done with racing cars, done with garage-band music. Done, even, with the profitable modelling. Although, Andreev hastens to add, he's actually peaking as a pouty poser, glossy-fetching at 25.

"Come on now. I'm just in my prime."

I find that there's always a deep, sensual quality to his skating even when the routine isn't meant to be sexy at all. What makes Fedor unique in my eyes is how he "seduces" me every time he performs, and the result is always soulful, never sleazy. He's a tiger on the ice; majestic, striking and graceful... and gorgeous like one, too! :love:

Yesterday, he returned to the fray with a flourish and a standing O at the end of a none-too-shabby short program, his seduction of the audience as effective as ever.

I also find it adorable that he is hooked to Sudoku:laugh:. His math brain would have helped him with CoP:agree:

I guess all skaters should be encouraged to solve Sudoku problems to improve their scores! :rofl:

Yes, I could imagine that Jeff would be a great help for CoP-friendly programs for Fedor. In the article, Jeff implies that the programs are choreographically demanding. So they would be very interesting programs to watch:love:

I think it's a great compliment to Fedor that Jeff thinks he can handle difficult choreography for a full 3 minutes without taking a break. I can't WAIT to see the new routines! Jeff's programs + Fedor's musicality = Voidy Heaven on Earth! :bow:

Kurt Browning wrote his thoughts about the 2000 Canadians for the Calgary Herald http://www.kurtfiles.com/articles/article.php?id=254&cat=KURT, and you might enjoy this tidbit:

"Fedor is my wife Sonia's favourite. She always says he's one of the most beautiful people she's ever seen in terms of his grace and demeanour -- and she should know something about that because she's a dancer with the National Ballet of Canada."

I'm surprised that she didn't pick Sandhu as her favourite because he actually trained as a ballet dancer. (Fedor, like Shawn, does ballet, too, but only on the side---though I don't know if he hated it as much as a teenaged Shawn did! :laugh:)

Fedor's 2000/2001 SP was his most balletic routine, so this should give you an idea of what Sonia Rodriguez liked about him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW2Z_nfQCnc

I hope Jeff kicks Fedor's azz to stop him from drifting around when he spins.

I think Jeff's too sweet to do anything like that! However, I expect that his strong work ethic will rub off on Fedor, so excessive force may not be necessary. :p

Moreover, I am glad to hear that Fedor is no longer hanging on to Tessa as his choreographer :biggrin:

Well, I think Tessa did a pretty good job with his LP considering her youth and inexperience. She was the only one willing to help him, so at least Fedor had a routine to skate to! I loved it when Kurt said during the performance, "Maybe I should get Tessa to choreograph a program for me!" We couldn't expect her to know what works best in terms of maximizing points for men's singles.

And besides, I think it's awfully romantic that Tessa came to Fedor's rescue! :) A pretty knight in shining armour who helps a handsome prince in distress... I can totally imagine them falling in love while she worked on his LP. ♥ ♥ ♥

I don't consider Fedor a "nobody" he's one of the kids that grew up in the sport with some semi famous parents and he skated in Sergei Grinkov's Celebration of Life tribute...

he made waves early on (when Ryan Bradly was making waves) and then disappeared, but he's hardly unknown in the skating world.

What I meant to say is that Fedor's a "nobody" in terms of what he had accomplished during his skating career. At least on FSU, most people only know him as either Tanith's ex or Marina Z.'s son. His fan base is pretty much limited to Canada (for now :biggrin:), yet somehow he manages to create loads of attention even though he competed in only one major event in 2008 (and he didn't even finish in the Top 5!). Only a handful of elite-level skaters ever get threads THAT long on that forum. Bradley is the American equivalent of Fedor, but Ryan has never come close to generating 33 pages worth of posts!

I didn't know he had studied violin for 10 years and played in an orchestra - very impressive!

I'm sure that partly explains why he's so lyrical on the ice! :yes:

In addition to figure skating, drift racing, modelling, garage-band music and the violin, Fedor is also an excellent tennis and golf player from what I've heard. Those who were lucky enough to see his work have stated that he has a great eye for photography. (I never got to see his pictures; he removed them from his MySpace page by the time I discovered it. :cry:) You can see him for about 5 seconds in the Disney film "Enchanted". He's also on the back of the DVD cover (look for the dude with the sunglasses).

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A couple of people suggested in the GPF section that Jeff should choreograph Johnny's programs next season. What do you guys think about that idea?

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think it a great idea!!!

Jeff has skated to a whole variety of programs so that he could perhaps accommodate Johnny's style and preferences.

Some ppl seem to find that transitions and steps may be some areas where Johnny might be able to improve a little. Jeff would be a great help for these.

But it may feel a bit funny for them to do that together because they were almost the same cohort as top skaters and Jeff is only one or two years older than Johnny. I wonder if Johnny may be more comfortable to work with older ones.

It makes more sense with Fedor because Jeff is the one who is looked up to by the Canadian team members. Jeff even said in his retirement press conference that he would like to support his ex teammates.