Let's talk about Nats!!! | Golden Skate

Let's talk about Nats!!!

Lynn226

On the Ice
I just wanted to get the discussion about Nats started on this part of the board.

Who will be attending? I could only afford to attend one event this season, so I chose SC.

Predictions anyone? I'm hoping that Sasha finally wins and that Tim gets his title back (even though he's boring most of the time). I'm also hoping that Matt Savoie does well this season.

Let the fun begin! :)

I have to take a look at Campbell's first. the three top US skaters will be there and presumably with new music; new choreography; new costumes and maybe new improvements.

No predictions for Campbells from me but a serious study of what I see for predictions for the US Nats.

Joe

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
I'm going!!!

My partner and I are going to Nationals! Getting very excited for the start of the season. We went to Dallas last year for our first live skating event (outside of exhibitions) and now I'm hooked! In fact, we already bought our tickets for Portland 2005!

I'll say who I HOPE does well, not predictions. Anyways, if everyone I want to succeed actually did, we'd have multiple winners...

ladies: There are sooo many great ladies! I'd love to see Sasha take it home this year with a knockout performance, but Michelle still gives me chills- the atmosphere in Dallas was amazing when she skated! Jenny Kirk won me over in Dallas also- her short program was beautiful, and her dress, hair and makeup were totally Valley of the Dolls! Ann-Patrice is due for a breakthrough performance... And we met Beatrisa Liang and Yebin Mok in Dallas- such sweeties! I'd like them to pull through (send good energy to Yebin, who's dealing with a stress fracture in her back).

men: I have to root for Johnny Weir for this one- here's hoping he can pull off a quad soon too, so he can really compete internationally. Also like Nick LaRoche, who was impressive in his senior level debut last year.

pairs: this one is easy- Don and Hunt!! They have such great energy and did great last year as a new pair. Also like up and comers Spielberg and Joeright.

dance: another easy one- Belbin and Agosto.

Jeff

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the post and welcome to Golden Skate. I envy you that you got to see Nationals last year (especially Michelle! LOL) and that you can go again this year. ITA with everything you said about the ladies.

I got to meet both Jenny Kirk and AP McDonough at Skate America last year. They are just as pretty in person and in street clothes as on the ice. (Well, not exactly street clothes, but anyway, all dolled up for autograph sessions.:))

Mathman

Last edited:

Sapphire

Spectator
Ooh, I've never been to a skating event. Lucky you. Anyways, here are my hopes. Don't wanna jinx anyone.

Ladies: I'm rooting for Jenny Kirk and Yebin Mok.

Men: Ryan Jahnke

Pairs: Inoue/Baldwin

Dance: Belbin/Agosto and I'm intrigued to know about Moxley/Kirsanov.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Nationals????

October is all about REGIONALS. Anyone near enough to attend any this year?? If so, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE go and tell us about it!!!

Of course, October is also about Jr and Sr. Grand Prix events. I wish I could afford to attend Skate America and Skate Canada this year, as both are not that far away. But after attending Worlds in DC, I can't really afford those trips. Also can't afford any of those regionals! Maybe next year!

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
We're thinking of going to the sectionals in Dallas, but we pretty much have one wad of dough to spend on a trip, so we're making it for NATIONALS!! And that IS what the thread is about after all!!!:p

The grand prix events would be so cool to attend, but they're far away for us. (I'm in Austin, TX).

Jeff

Figureskates

On the Ice
We are going to sectionals in Lake Placid since my club is host. Will be fun since I will be working behind the scenes.

Keep your eye on Sarah Hughes who just may show up. Anyone know of her practicing? Robin was at Campbell's sans Sarah, and speaking to Girl Scouts.

Joe

dizzydi

On the Ice
I would be surprised if Sarah Hughes showed up at any competitions this season. I saw her on Larry King the other night and she does not look in shape. Although I only saw her sitting behind a desk, Sarah's face (although cute as a button) looked fuller which leads me to believe she is not in top form.

Just my take on it.

Dizzy

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I was just wondering this morning about Sarah and Nationals. Chances are she will be a no-show. I'd love to see Jenny Kirk make the World team this year!

What was Sarah doing on Larry King?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I too would like to see Jenny Kirk on the podium at Nationals. I downloaded her short program (from a link I got at MKForum) and although she missed the combo I liked the SP a lot. I like the musical cuts and she performs the hell out of the program - Chicago. I also like her personally (no we haven't met). I suppose Michelle and Sasha are a lock for the other two spots.

As far as the men go, I like Tim's Queen LP. I would also like to see Weir on the podium. But word is he's starting to display meltdowns like Angela N when he misses a jump. I also like Matt Savoie and hope he gets a spot on the World team.

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
I hope Sasha can pull it together and take it away (like I wasn't going to say that ;))

I hope Tim can regain the title, but I'm also hoping that Scott Smith can make the team.

Belbin and Agosto are the only dance choice as far as I'm concerned.

I like Orscher and Lucash and Don and Hunt and Inoue and Baldwin, anyone, as long as it isn't Scott and Duhlebon (please, please, please!)

Kat

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't wish for Sasha to win a National or Worlds championship until she learns some podium manners. Her gumchewing during the medal ceremony at Lalique turned me off big time. Kwan has been an exemplary champion. I'll root for Kwan for gold, concede silver to Sasha, and hope Jenny or AP fills out the World Team.

Belbin/Agosto may have finished 2nd at last year's Nationals, but they beat Lang/Tchernyshev at 4C and Worlds last season. This season, B/A have been winning medals and a ticket to the GPF, something L/T never achieved, while L/T seriously contemplated splitting up for the first two months of the season. B/A have the momentum, and L/T have lots of catching up to do.

In Pairs, I'm hoping for Inoue/Baldwin to beat out S/D for gold, and for Don/Hunt to finish in the top 5, if they can't make the podium just yet.

In the men, Goebel for the Championship. I would REALLY like to see Weiss off the podium, but doubt that will happen. I'd like to see Matt Savoie, Johnny Weir and Scott Smith give him some tough competition. Ryan Jahnke is a pleasing skater, but he just can't seem to hang on to his jumps. I'm also looking forward to finally seeing Rohene Ward, whose gotten loads of great comments on different boards.

mpal2

Final Flight
Did Rohene make it to Nationals this year? I got the pleasure of seeing him in LA and really missed him last year. He was constantly warming up where he could watch the rest of the competitors (in any discipline) and applauded everyone's best efforts. Some of the people I met in LA were volunteers and had only compliments for his off ice behavior as well.

euterpe

Medalist
I wonder what effect skating so badly at the Winter Cheesefest will have on Sasha? Five jumps, three falls, yet she got held up to third place.

Sasha went into the Cheesefest as the overwhelming favorite, having defeated Kwan at Campbell's in October, then winning 3 gold medals in the Grand Prix. Maybe that was the problem: being the favorite and facing Kwan.

Cohen will no doubt win the Grand Prix Final next week, and will go into Nationals, again, as the overwhelming favorite, since Kwan didn't skate that well winning the Winter Cheesefest. Cohen was the overwhelming favorite at Nationals last year, too. and she had to face Kwan. We all know how that one turned out.

Keep practicing Ye Bin, Jenny and AP! There may be TWO slots up for grabs!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My hopes

That Jenny and Angela both somehow make the podium

That Mike, Tim, and Matt make up the world team in some order(I'd love to see Mike take the title again!)

That Scott and Dulebohn have two awesome programs that bring them a CONVINCING gold!

That Tanith and Ben skate to gold, and that Gregory and Petukhov move up a place to second(but hey they could take first and I would be sooooooo happy for them!)... and that Naomi and Peter really make it to Nationals and have a good comeback....