Free Dance Results | Golden Skate

Free Dance Results

Vincero

Rinkside
Free Dance Results:

1 Madison CHOCK / Greg ZUERLEIN USA 79.31 40.00 39.31 6.65 6.40 6.60 6.60 6.60 0.00 #8
2 Madison HUBBELL / Keiffer HUBBELL USA 76.70 39.20 37.50 6.40 6.00 6.40 6.30 6.30 0.00 #3
3 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA 73.55 38.10 35.45 6.00 5.80 5.90 6.00 5.90 0.00 #2
4 Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Jonathan GUERREIRO RUS 73.45 38.30 36.15 6.20 5.80 6.10 6.10 6.05 1.00 #7
5 Ekaterina PUSHKASH / Dmitri KISELEV RUS 71.76 37.90 33.86 5.70 5.50 5.80 5.65 5.65 0.00 #4
6 Kharis RALPH / Asher HILL CAN 71.37 37.20 34.17 5.85 5.55 5.65 5.80 5.70 0.00 #5
7 Alisa AGAFONOVA / Dmitri DUN UKR 69.93 35.00 34.93 5.95 5.65 5.85 5.95 5.80 0.00 #6
8 Marina ANTIPOVA / Artem KUDASHEV RUS 67.79 38.20 29.59 5.10 4.75 5.00 4.90 5.00 0.00 #1

Final Standings:

1 Madison CHOCK / Greg ZUERLEIN USA
131.15 1 1
2 Madison HUBBELL / Keiffer HUBBELL USA
124.68 6 2
3 Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Jonathan GUERREIRO RUS
124.30 2 4
4 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA
120.60 7 3
5 Ekaterina PUSHKASH / Dmitri KISELEV RUS
120.35 5 5
6 Kharis RALPH / Asher HILL CAN
120.09 4 6
7 Alisa AGAFONOVA / Dmitri DUN UKR
119.38 3 7
8 Marina ANTIPOVA / Artem KUDASHEV RUS
111.43 8 8

So Chock/Zuerlein kept their lead and won by a sizable margin, with almost 2 points ahead in PCs. Hmm, seems like the judges love them. They also had the highest Techincal score despite level 2 twizzles and spin.

Happy for both the Hubbells and the Shibutanis for pulling up to a silver medal and a 4th place respectively. 4th to 7th place are ridiculously close though, within little more than a point.

And are the judges being stingy, or are the JGP event judges generous?

Did anyone watch this? Can you give any comments?

lmarie086

Medalist
Hmm, thanks for posting the results. Not surprised that the Hubbells pulled up, but I was hoping for R/G for gold. Still, obviously C/Z seem to have been the best here and I congratulate them.

Still miffed that IN didn't have live coverage of JGPF...

rosee

On the Ice
I have yet to see it but R/G were 4th in the FD? Did they make a lot of mistakes?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I haven't seen it yet either. However, the protocols show R&G with a deduction.

IN is supposed to post it on demand at some point later this month.

Vincero

Rinkside
R/G has a level 2 step sequence and a level 2 lift. The judges were also very stingy with the GOEs in general in the competition, the highest GOE for any element form any competitor being a 1.00. R/G actually scored slightly higher in both TES and PCs than the Shibutanis, but they had an extended lift deduction, which is why they're in 4th by a very close margin of 0.1.

In terms of PCs, they got the 3rd highest of the night, 1 point after the Hubbells (which can be justifiable) and over 3 points behind Chock/Zuerlein, the main reason they couldn't hold on to a second place finish.

According to icenetwork, all the teams at competent and uninspiring performances, because (and resulting in) lukewarm audience response.

Although I haven't watched the actual competition, from what I've watched in the past, I can't see how Chock and Zuerlein would get nearly 2 points of PCs over the 2nd place finisher, especially over the Hubbells. Although they have arguably the best lines in the Top 4, they are indisputably the slowest, and I don't think that is reflected enough in the PCs.

rosee

On the Ice
I've seen only the Hubbells and if C/Z were flawless, I can see why they beat them in the TES. Still don't understand the 2 points gap in PCS.
H&H were quite cautious and still have troubles with Spins or Twizzles. I think that two Hydroblading moves is a bit too much. I would keep the first one only.
I loved their lifts OTOH, Smooth and with music. They have changed some of them, no?

I know the Hubbells will soon be Senior Skate Dancers, but what about Chock and Zurlein? Will they stay in Juniors?

The Junior Worlds should be quite exciting between the four of them. If judging is on the up and up, I would still choose the Hubbells. Anyway fans of others will still have a chance to see their team move up a notch or two.

Vincero

Rinkside
I know the Hubbells will soon be Senior Skate Dancers, but what about Chock and Zurlein? Will they stay in Juniors?

The Junior Worlds should be quite exciting between the four of them. If judging is on the up and up, I would still choose the Hubbells. Anyway fans of others will still have a chance to see their team move up a notch or two.

I'm guessing Chock/Zuerlein will stay as Juniors next season, and at the very most moving up to seniors nationally. Even if they win Junior Worlds (which doesn't seem like too slim a possibility now), the competition is too fierce in the senior level, nationally and internationally. They would probably place 5th or lower, with a small chance at 4th should they move up next year, and they probably aren't going to place that high internationally. So I think they will stay junior, as will Riazanova/Guerreiro because the ice dance field in Russia also seems too deep.

I'm very excited for the US Nationals. I really want to see how the Hubbells stack up against the seniors and whether the USFSA will back Chock and Zuerlein or the Shibutanis more.

Regarding Junior Worlds, I expect the top four to be in this order again, except if Gilles/Donohue place high enough at US Nationals to go to Junior Worlds, which isn't too slim a possibility. In that case, I expect them to be in the Top 4 also. My main hope is that everyone skates better, as it seems like a pretty mediocre event this time, with all teams getting a low level or two and low GOEs. The Hubbells will probably gain an advantage because of the CD segment, with Chock/Zuerlein and Shibutanis having do a bit of catch up. So if everyone goes clean, I'd go with the Hubbells too.

rosee

On the Ice
The Hubbells will probably skate Senior at Nationals since they won gold last year. I think both C&Z and S&S will skate in junior since they finished 3rd and 4th. Piper Gilles was 2nd with Tim McK. G&D should skate juniors too. And with her injury it seem a little risky to add 1 min to their FD and skate seniors. Theses 4 teams will probably battle to make the JW team.

My only worry is if S&B don't make the senior world team. Do you think they'll be send to junior world to try to win a second title like Caroline Zhang or will they end their season at nationals like ML&B did?

About the Hubbells and C/Z turning seniors next year, isn't this year their last season of eligibility anyway? IIRC The girls should be under 18 by July 1st. And the guys should be under 20 before July first.
Keiffer was born in january 1989 so he'll be 20 this year. Greg was born in October 1988, he'll also be 20 this year.
Zachary Donahue was born in January 1991 so he still has time. Piper was born in January 1992. It give them only one more year, no?
And Alex Shibutani was born in april 1991, Maia in july 20 1994. I think that gives them two more years in juniors.

Vincero

Rinkside
I don't know where the official document is, but I think ladies can be 19 and men can be 21. That gives the Shibutanis and Gilles/Donohue 3 more years of junior eligibility (I think), and next year will be the Hubbells and Chock/Zuerlein's last year of eligibility.

I think the Hubbells are confirmed as taking part in Senior Nationals this year. I expect them to move up internationally next year.

Chock and Zuerlein will probably stay as Juniors both nationally and internationally next season. I can see them moving up nationally, but not internationally.

The Shibutanis and Gilles/Donohue will definitely stay in Juniors, since this is only their first year in Juniors and they still hasn't got enough international experience yet, especially the latter since they're such a new team.

samba

On the Ice
If I remember right, to be eligible in the JGP circuit, the skaters can't be older than 19(girl) and 22 (boy) by July 1st that year. I think these top Jr. teams still have at least couple years to go. The Hubbells are definitely doing senior at the US Nationals this year. They will have option to do Jr.Worlds again next year if they wish ( if they did not win Jr.Worlds this year). Same as S/B, they are young enough to go to Jr.Worlds again this year, however, they are looking at Worlds in LA and have no interest to do Jr. My guess is these Jr.teams are most likely to stay Jr. for couple years since the senoir circuit is jam packed at this moment, until after Olympics 2010 when some teams will most likely retire, e.g. N/B, W/B, B/A :p.

Rosee Quote:

My only worry is if S&B don't make the senior world team. Do you think they'll be send to junior world to try to win a second title like Caroline Zhang or will they end their season at nationals like ML&B did?

If by S/B you mean Sam and Bates, I really can't see the USFS deserting S/B because they have made a name for themselves. However, when they were in Juniors, they only beat the Hubbells when the male Hubbell had an ankle problem. So good performances by all those not 'locks' in senior Dance have their work cut out. Locks seem to be: B/A; D/W. Third is wide open. It's as tough as Ladies with only 2 but no real locks.

dancemaster

On the Ice
According to icenetwork, all the teams at competent and uninspiring performances, because (and resulting in) lukewarm audience response.

this comment is so wrong.could only be made by people that were not watching it live.:rofl:
the arena was only 1/4 full
the junior performances were has good if not better then the seniors.:rock:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
this comment is so wrong.could only be made by people that were not watching it live.:rofl:
the arena was only 1/4 full
the junior performances were has good if not better then the seniors.:rock:

I wish icenetwork had chosen to air the junior live instead of giving us Junior Nationals (intermediate skaters and below) instead and waiting to put up the junior GPF performances later.

However, if you know where to look, the top 4 free dances are up on the internet.
I thought all 4 teams skated better than I had seen them skate before.

rosee

On the Ice
So, if I understood correctly (not counting this year):

Hubbell & Hubbell 1 year
Chock & Zuerlein 1 year

Gilles & Donohue 2 years

Shibutani & Shibutani 3 years

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Vincero

Rinkside
I saw videos of the Top 4. I agree with dancemaster; it is better than what icenetwork has led me to expect. The judges were pretty stingy with the GOEs.

Chock/Zuerlein: Much faster than I remember them to be. I enjoyed it more this time. I think the main problem is the program itself; the choreography has nothing to do with the music, especially the lifts. It doesn't evoke Phantom, with some generic angsty moves. But still, very well performed. I'd score them below the Hubbells in terms of PCs though.

Hubbells: The most polished team. The music isn't as interesting as Apocolyptica, but they did skate it very well. I thought the movements were too soft for the music though.

Riazanova/Guerreiro: I think they're prone to hitting bad lines occasionally, but they were cleaner than at Madrid in this department IMO. Very in character, especially Ekaterina Riazanova. I thought it deserved higher PCs.

Shibutanis: I think they performed better at Courchevel. They seem a bit rushed here, but it's understandable with the pressure. I noticed that they changed the ending to the rotational lift they use in the OD. I think I prefer the original ending more.