Ladies LP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Then the proper reply is "I make mistakes, because I'm not perfect. No one is."

It's bad for anyone to fall into the habit of giving excuses, even if you do have a legitimate one. Mao and Yu-Na, in particular, have very media-centric lives and a lot of kids or young athletes looking up to them. It's easy as an adult to look at them as 18 year-old girls, but they and their team need to realize that it's equally important for them to have attitudes that are as good as their skating... perhaps even more so when you have the spotlight on you. Takahiko Kozuka's humble attitude is very refreshing... a lot of people could learn a lesson or two from him.
No, saying "I was ill" is not an excuse. It's a reason. The proper reply is thus "I was sick, and wasn't skating my best. I hope to get healthy soon and do better next time."

I don't like the implication that if a skater (or any athlete) is not humble and accepting of defeat in their interviews, their behavior is not sportsmanlike and even, as you imply, a bad influence on kids. Yu-Na and Mao are both wonderful role models for a kid to have - hard-working, polite, talented and driven. There's nothing wrong with stating why you weren't at your best on a given day.

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
I felt the same way. In fact, I thought Morozov was about to cry after Miki finished skating. I hope Miki does not feel discouraged - she really worked hard to improve her skating before this competition. She brought back her 2A-3T, challenged and landed 4S (underrotated, but still very impressive) and worked on her posture and spirals. And her LP dress is lovely. :love:
I hope that she has enough time before Nationals and Worlds to work on those underrotations and get more comfortable with the program. :agree: It still looked a bit raw, but I think it has potential to be very impressive when skated with more power and confidence.

:agree:

I have the same feeling. I really hope she doesn't feel discouraged. Hopefully the experience will give her even more fire for next time :)

edeuse

Rinkside
No, saying "I was ill" is not an excuse. It's a reason. The proper reply is thus "I was sick, and wasn't skating my best. I hope to get healthy soon and do better next time."

Yes, this is what I believe Yu-Na was expressing concerning her cold. :)

I do agree on you guys.

Anyway, I was impressed by Yuna hugged Mao tight with a huge smile on the podium.
All the bashers, yellow journalism, and corrupted federation have to shame on themselves.

Last edited:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
1 Mao ASADA JPN 123.17 64.57 59.60 7.80 6.95 7.60 7.50 7.40 1.00 #5
2 Yu-Na KIM KOR 120.41 60.69 60.72 7.85 7.40 7.60 7.65 7.45 1.00 #6
3 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN 115.88 57.48 58.40 7.35 7.20 7.25 7.45 7.25 0.00 #1
4 Carolina KOSTNER ITA 112.13 55.45 57.68 7.55 6.95 7.20 7.15 7.20 1.00 #3
5 Miki ANDO JPN 102.81 47.45 55.36 7.30 6.35 7.00 7.10 6.85 0.00 #2
6 Yukari NAKANO JPN 99.85 44.17 55.68 7.20 6.65 7.00 7.05 6.90 0.00 #4

FINAL STANDINGS:

1 Mao ASADA
JPN
188.55 2 1
2 Yu-Na KIM
KOR
186.35 1 2

3 Carolina KOSTNER
ITA
168.01 4 4
4 Joannie ROCHETTE
CAN
166.36 6 3
5 Yukari NAKANO
JPN
161.93 3 6
6 Miki ANDO
JPN
158.25 5 5

I didn't get a program with a poped jump and a fall have higher PCS mark than a program with only one mistake, a fall. Also to my eyes, i think Mao has more speed and spark, will difiniety have to watch on t.v again when it's air in Canada. I love Yuna, but her program is not to the standard she set it in SA or COC.

steyn

On the Ice
Then the proper reply is "I make mistakes, because I'm not perfect. No one is."

It's bad for anyone to fall into the habit of giving excuses, even if you do have a legitimate one. Mao and Yu-Na, in particular, have very media-centric lives and a lot of kids or young athletes looking up to them. It's easy as an adult to look at them as 18 year-old girls, but they and their team need to realize that it's equally important for them to have attitudes that are as good as their skating... perhaps even more so when you have the spotlight on you. Takahiko Kozuka's humble attitude is very refreshing... a lot of people could learn a lesson or two from him.

She just answered to the question how she thought on her performance today. Her answer was to the point: she made mistakes because she did not have enough stamina due to cold. In this questiion and answer, there is no point at all that she should mention other skater's performances. I don't understand why you are complaining. As far as I know Yu-Na is well-known for her humble attitude. You can find many posts about it here in GS archive.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
This is what we have to argue about? The other skater did better than her. That is an obvious statement and reflected in the scores. No reporter needs to ask her that to confirm it. The question that came before her statement isn't going to be "So why did you lose?" but more like, "What affected your performance today? or "How did you feel about your own performance?" These are questions directly related to her and not what other skaters did. Good grief!

Anyway, I was impressed by Yuna hugged Mao tight with a huge smile on the podium.
All the bashers, yellow journalism, and corrupted federation have to shame on themselves.
Same here. Despite being disappointed by the turn of events, I found that happy place in my heart again when I saw these pictures.
http://i37.tinypic.com/zwku3p.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/nleeq1.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/28a0iu.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/2ailnhs.jpg

Yu-Na and Mao bots, please follow your idols: spread love, not hate.

little_winnie

Spectator
I didn't get a program with a poped jump and a fall have higher PCS mark than a program with only one mistake, a fall. Also to my eyes, i think Mao has more speed and spark, will difiniety have to watch on t.v again when it's air in Canada. I love Yuna, but her program is not to the standard she set it in SA or COC.

Beside the two mistakes at the second half of program, I think this LP is the best one among the three which she has this season in performance wise. She is really into the music and her emotion and expression with the music is way better than SA. I think in SA, her is very tentative.

Super happy for Mao. Two 3A in a program!!! What a history (Although she already done it in 2006 JPN Nats, but still:love::love:)

Bennett

Record Breaker
BTW, I thought Joannie a bit disappointing when I saw her on TV. But she turned out to have scored relatively high. I think that the last several jumps really counted. 3-3 sequence and 2A-2A. She tended to falter towards the end before; but she sustained her focus here.

I felt that she had a pretty shallow edge going into the lutz. Is it the way she usually does her lutz? Or she messed up her usual form here?

In any case, her skating skills and spirals were fab. I just love them so much.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many congrats to the medalists and I'm glad the result did not have major controversies! It seemed the biggest challenge was to survive this GPF . . . so many of the skaters seemed physically, mentally, and emotionally drained whether due to illness, injury, or lack of training time due to very busy schedules. I hope they all get rested, trained, and healthy for the remainder of the season in order to skate their very bests!

Yogudin

Rinkside
SBS Journalist : “You made some more mistakes on FS performance today? What do you think about that?”

Yu-Na : “Today my cold has got a little worse, I haven’t sustained my stamina good enough. So I made some mistakes, of course, it’s a pity, but anyone can make mistakes and there will be soon further competitions, for which I should prepare myself better and in which I want to show some really better performance to you.

People need to learn to say "I didn't win because _____ skated better than me today.":sheesh:
Just when Mao tried to put the blame for her poor performance on her condition? I follow the Japanese news and I've never heard her trying to come up with any excuses, even if she indeed skated with illness or injury. She usually just says that she feels miserable that she wasn't able to skate her best and promises to work hard to be able to skate better next time. And she did praise many of her competitors - Miki for consistency (at Worlds 2007), YuNa for 3-3, Caroline for the layback, etc.. :thumbsup:

Onto such question like “You made some more mistakes on FS performance today? What do you think about that?”, should she answer in only that way like "I didn't win because Mao skated better than me today" or “I feel miserable that I wasn't able to skate my best and promises to work hard to be able to skate better next time” and should she praise many of competitors - Miki for consistency, Mao for two 3A’s and Caroline for the layback, etc..? :rofl:

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't have an issue with Yu-na's response. It was clear that her stamina was the issue because she was on fire for the 3/4 of the program until the end.

Despite being disappointed by the turn of events, I found that happy place in my heart again when I saw these pictures.
http://i37.tinypic.com/zwku3p.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/nleeq1.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/28a0iu.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/2ailnhs.jpg

Yu-Na and Mao bots, please follow your idols: spread love, not hate.
Beautiful. Thank you! This can be such a heartbreaking sport. It's wonderful to see a friendship of competitors transcending all the pressures.

I haven't seen the performances yet so won't comment but thanks to all who did PBP!

bekalc

Record Breaker
Beautiful. Thank you! This can be such a heartbreaking sport. It's wonderful to see a friendship of competitors transcending all the pressures.

I haven't seen the performances yet so won't comment but thanks to all who did PBP!

I suspect those two girls understand each other.

harmy18

Rinkside
congra to Mao, and sorry for Yukari.

I'm a bit crazy when I read the protocols, what's wrong with Yukari? Almost all her triple jumps are UR. Godness......Since nobody is perfect tonight, I still find it hard to receive the result--a winner with a fall.

Well...I think I have to watch the vedios carefully to find out why...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
No, I meant she had the most transition-packed program among tonight's ladies' programs, IMO. But she got a relatively low score on transitions, which I didn't get.
I finally saw it, and I'm afraid I have to disagree. There were stretches with very little beyond stroking, and she had some loooong setups on a few jumps. Don't get me wrong - she deserved to win - but I see no problem with a lower transitions score for Ms. Asada.

BTW, people complain about Carolina Kostner's PCS, but to her credit, she fell and immediately got up and back into her program. Mao (distractingly referred to as Maya on Eurosport) took a few seconds to find her way again, and I found it disruptive to the flow of the program.

It probably didn't help that it's not my favorite music.

Last edited:

camion

On the Ice
The scoring in this competition was scary & whack. It has nothing to do with the skaters though. Good job Mao for being 1st lady w/2x3A in int'l comp- such power & stamina from those skinny legs! Yu-Na, I cannot even fathom all the emotions you felt. And Carolina I loved your energy! Too bad you got too excited for the salchow. And Miki you become more beautiful each time I watch you & your costume:love:.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am so SO SO happy for Mao. I love Yu-na too, but I think Mao needed this win. She needed to beat Yu-na.
good girl. Were both of her 3 axels ratified?

Marine63

Rinkside
Carolina's LP

Here's Carolina's hot mess of a LP. For the life of me, I don't see what the judges see in her. She skates the same way as when I first saw her. No improvement whatsoever. Here she struggled on almost every jump. I hope she didn't get positive GOE's for any of her jumps. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrKLu3y4Luk