Mao’s New Grand Challenge for 2010 Vancouver Olymphic | Golden Skate

Mao’s New Grand Challenge for 2010 Vancouver Olymphic

Yogudin

Rinkside
According to the today’s article in the Japanese newspaper ‘Yomiuri Hochi’, Mao and Tarasova plan to try not only two 3A’s, but also two 3-3 jumps(3Flip-3Loop and 3Flip-3Toe Loop) in LP to secure Mao’s victory. :thumbsup: What do you think about that plan?

bekalc

Record Breaker
It is pretty amazing that this is Mao's goal... But well I also don't know...What I mean by that is I strongly suspect that the winner of the Olympic gold is going to be the person who handles the pressure the best and skates cleanest......IF Mao is tired from all of this will she fully be able to rotate everything etc?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Isn't that what she planned this year?

if you go by what Evan Lysacek said at Skate America this year - the next 16 months is looked at as one long season for the skaters... considering he worked with TT this summer as did Mao (obviously) perhaps that's a mindset she put to him. (I fully believe her brainwashing is the only way that got him to go for those costumes.. I'm in full denial that he isn't somehow blind to what he's wearing lol)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
3A-2T
3A
3F-3Lo-2Lo
----------
3S
3F-3T
3Lz
2A

Will likely be her jump layout. By far the most difficult ever for a female. She can totally do it, though, which is awesome.

I would personally prefer a 2A-3T combo instead of the 3F-3T and then a solo 3Lo instead of the solo 2A. Her solo 3Lo is very beautiful and I think the 3T in combo later in the program would be more consistent on the back of a 2A.

feraina

Record Breaker
Isn't that what she planned this year?

It's what she's aiming toward this year, yes, but maybe she won't actually get there by Worlds. Maybe this is their way of saying that it's a two-season project, and they hope to eventually peak with this program at the Olympics. That wouldn't be a bad plan.

There was a lot of skepticism regarding Mao doing two 3A's in the LP this year, especially as she didn't land one very often last season. But she has carried it off very well so far, and some fans are even suggesting replacing the 3F-3R in the SP with the 3A-2T now. She has also made marvelous progress on the 3Z, 3S, and 3T over the last season or two. It's amazing to see!

It looks like Tarasova really has Mao on the right track. Getting all six triples clean and consistent, without edge calls or URs, looks like their goal. And if Mao can really get there by the Olympics, then nothing but a serious bout of nerves can derail her quest for the gold. I'm really excited to see Mao raise her game to the next level (as she seems to be doing repeatedly).

As for Evan Lysacek, I think Tarasova is secretly aiding Johnny Weir to an Olympic medal. Nothing else can explain the hideousness of Evan's costumes this year! :p

(Mao has very beautiful costumes after all. And though I didn't like Masquerade at first, it's starting to grow on me with its hypnotic intensity. I had Masquerade playing all night through my dreams after Mao's GPF LP. :laugh:)

Bennett

Record Breaker
As for Evan Lysacek, I think Tarasova is secretly aiding Johnny Weir to an Olympic medal. Nothing else can explain the hideousness of Evan's costumes this year! :p

:laugh::laugh:

But I noticed its resemblance with Klik's Olympic costume when he skated to the same music. So perhaps TAT just loves it and wants Evan to repeat the same glory with her favorite ex-student:cool:

And though I didn't like Masquerade at first, it's starting to grow on me with its hypnotic intensity. I had Masquerade playing all night through my dreams after Mao's GPF LP. :laugh:)

Yeah, that music gives a strong impression and triggers in memory.

Bennett

Record Breaker
One silly question here...
Is Tatiana Tarasova the Orser and Wilson in one person?

Meaning what....:laugh:? Being a tech coach as well as a choreographer? If so, I think yes even though she may not have been a singles skater herself.

She also has an assistant coach who teaches Mao when she isn't available.

jyshin

On the Ice
Thanks Bennett! So, Tatiana is Mao's choreographer and technical coach... (plus costume designer if my memory serves correctly.) I guess she wants absolute control over her pupils.

bekalc

Record Breaker
There was a lot of skepticism regarding Mao doing two 3A's in the LP this year, especially as she didn't land one very often last season. But she has carried it off very well so far, and some fans are even suggesting replacing the 3F-3R in the SP with the 3A-2T now. She has also made marvelous progress on the 3Z, 3S, and 3T over the last season or two. It's amazing to see!

She has carried it of well so far, but shes' only gotten credit for one of those this season. Plus it's worth only 9.5 which is the same as Kim's 3flip/3toe so I'm not sure it's worth it. It definetly looks like the 3 axels are going well, but a lot can happen in a year as well... I'm not sure about 2 3 axels and 2 3/3's. I definetly think she should consider the double axel/3toe... Don't get me wrong, if I'm Team Kim, and if it's in anyway possible that I could learn 3 axel (and it may not be possible) I'd be learning it.

But this being said one underrotated 3/3 (and Mao gets her 3/3s downgraded a lot, and Kim's back in the game with her).. So in that sense, I'd say that Team Asada also needs to think about what Mao can realistically deliver. I'm not sure upping all kinds of difficulty hoping that it will make Asada unbeatable with even mistakes is the way to go. Frankly, at the very least they need to test out the idea of 2 3/3's as early as GP next year.

Last edited:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I think that the FAR BETTER OPTION for Mao would be to skate the program like this...

MY PLAN:

3A
3A+2T
3F+2Lo+2Lo
3S
3F+3T
3Lo
2A

Basically, all that was switched here is the 3F+3Lo to the 3F+2Lo+2Lo, a lovely combo that we know Mao can complete and get +GOEs on. Then, instead of still trying for the 3F+3Lo (which is MUCH MORE difficult to get ratified and Mao has yet to have ratified this year), I chose the 3F+3T, which Mao has completed beautifully in the past. Now to make up for the only 2 triples being repeated, the 3T should be switched to a 3Lo, which is another lovely jump for Mao which she would be able to do with nice footwork preceding it (and also worth an additional 1.1 points since it is after the half-way point). Also, this way, if Mao misses on the 3F+3T, as a last minute effort, they could practice doing a 2A+3T just in case and have the same base.

Base Value: 50.95

THEIR PLAN:

So this way, Mao actually has a higher base value for her jumps by not even doing two 3-3 combos! Since Mao's 3F-3Lo still has yet to be ratified this season and a 3Lz in the LP as well, I think their best option is to go for the 3F-2Lo-2Lo, 3F+3T, 3Lo over the 3F-3Lo, 3F+3T, 3Lz. Obviously if you reversed the 3F+3Lo and 3F+3T, the base value would be slightly higher (because then the 3F+3Lo would come after the jump, but the ONLY difference in base value would be 1.5. Is that really worth it?

Just to break it down...

MORE DIFFICULT OPTION:
3A
3A+2T
3F+3T
3S
3F+3Lo
3Lz
2A

BASE VALUE: 54.15

I don't find the gained base value of 1.1 for doing the 3Lz over the 3Lo worth it nor is 1.0 in the beginning for doing the 3F+3T here over the 3F+2Lo+2Lo ... and the +GOEs Mao can get by doing the 3F+2Lo+2Lo combo will probably more than make up for going for the 3F+3Lo. Basically, is an additional 3.2 base value for jumps really worth it for pushing in 2 3-3's rather than keeping one jump combo Mao has already completed with a +GOE? Not to mention in the program.. think of how quickly the 3T comes after the current 3F+?.... will Mao really have time to set up for a Lz here, check the landing, and still complete the 2A and then into the final spin? Even just putting in the 3Lz at the end of the program is another big risk considering she will have landed 2 3-3s and 2 3As by that point.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I think that the FAR BETTER OPTION for Mao would be to skate the program like this...

MY PLAN:

3A
3A+2T
3F+2Lo+2Lo
3S
3F+3T
3Lo
2A

If her 3Lo in combo keeps getting downgraded, then I would suggest this layout:

3A+2T
3A
3F+3T
---------
3S
3F+2Lo+2Lo
3Lo
3Lz

She actually doesn't lose that much by leaving out the second 3-3 ... the difference is just that she ends up doing a 2Lo instead of a 2A, a 2 point difference. The program would still be the most difficult a female has ever accomplished with just one Triple-Triple combo.

Last edited:

frozenhell

Rinkside
When Tarasova became Mao's coach, everybody probably assumed that she came to help Mao improve her presentation skill. Instead Mao is going opposite direction by trying to push techinical boundary, which is irony,
Also didn't ppl used to say Yu Na plays safe while Mao takes risk? All of sudden ppl start saying Yu Na is taking too much risk because one miss can hurt her more than Mao, so does it mean Mao is actually playing safe by putting two 3A?
Maybe difference between "safe" program and "risky" program is much more complicated than ppl used to think,

harmy18

Rinkside
to be honest, I think the most important thing for MAO is to pick up her 3-3 combo again. I've been told for times that she hasn't been ratified a 3-3 so far this season.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
When Tarasova became Mao's coach, everybody probably assumed that she came to help Mao improve her presentation skill. Instead Mao is going opposite direction by trying to push techinical boundary, which is irony,
Also didn't ppl used to say Yu Na plays safe while Mao takes risk? All of sudden ppl start saying Yu Na is taking too much risk because one miss can hurt her more than Mao, so does it mean Mao is actually playing safe by putting two 3A?
Maybe difference between "safe" program and "risky" program is much more complicated than ppl used to think,

Yu-Na is only at risk when compared to Mao's new program, because Mao can lose a big combo and still get enough points to compete with Yu-Na fair and square. The problem I see with Yu-Na's programs is that she is lacking any "in the middle" jumps. She uses high value jumps (2 Lz's, 1Flip, 3Ts only in combination, and 3 2A's). Her 3S in the program is by far her weakest jump, and she seems to be having trouble completing both 3Lzs. The risk she has is that if by chance she misses her 3F+3T combo, it could knock her right off the podium at worst... and for Gold in that scenario, Mao would probably have to miss 2 combos at the very least. Yu-Na is still mainly relying on one jump pass: the 3F+3T. But with Mao's addition of 2 3A's... she can afford to miss one of them, so she isn't relying on just that solo 3A anymore and/or the second 3-3 combo.