Best Male Lyrical Skater | Golden Skate

Best Male Lyrical Skater

J

Joesitz

Best Male Lyrical Skater

Please - Quads are not important here. Music is the whole criteria.

J

Joesitz

Re: Best Male Lyrical Skater

And there are others: Lysacek; Weir; Jahnke; the Belorus guy; and some you know.

Joe

S

SHINE2002

I think Sandhu is more of a Bravura skater rather than lyrical. Or even more so, a combination of both.

S

sk8ing lady2001

Other - Paul Wylie. Even though he is retired, I miss him very much. :(

S

Show 42

Paul Wylie was the first that came to my mind, Lady, but he wasn't on the list.....thanks for mentioning him.....42

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

I have to agree with those who said Paul Wylie....

Kurt Browning also gets a nod of recognition from me :) He can be so lyrical when he wants to be ;)

C

CartDi

Yesh, Paul Wylie is quite nice. I also like Jeffrey Buttle and Alexander Abt.

L

lilicedancer

I prefer the lyrical style, my fav. is Johnny Weir. He reminds me of John Curry. Wylie and Savoie are great too.

M

mathman444

How would you classify Todd Eldredge? I tried to vote for him in the "Robust" catagory, but the requirement on that thread was to have a quad.

Mathman

J

Joesitz

Mathman - I pondered over Eldridge in boh threads. he clearly, imo, woudl fit either category. i was hoping someone would mention in his name in either category and explain, because I can not.

I'm not a big fan of Todd. But neither do I dislike him. He is, imo, a good competitor but not the best. I prefer Galindo and believed he deserved his wins, and more, if he stayed eligible.

Bauman was probably the best for USA Mens in recent times, but he was clearly off the wall in private life which hurt his competitive edge. For me it appears Russian boys had more solid goals.

Joe

K

Kasey

It doesn't matter that he retired...it doesn't matter that his last few years were as a pro...NO ONE can touch Paul Wylie!!!! Yep, I voted "other"!

Kasey

P

Pookie

I, too, would say Paul Wylie. He is always fantastic. And I never really cared how many times he fell down. He was still a cut above the rest artistically.

D

DORISPULASKI

I voted for other. Here are some better than any on the poll:
Paul Wylie, John Curry, Brian Boitano, Brian Orser, Ryan Jahnke

J

Joesitz

Doris et al - It seems like Wylie and others who are Pro that are lyrical. No problem. Bth, My use of the term 'Best' is just to draw in posters responses.

Joe

J

jldz23

Alexander Abt.....
No one skates with such reckless abandon...

He is amazing.

L

LilyBerg

Well I have to say Stephane Lambiel.
He's my favourite male skater after Alexei.

W

WindSpirit5

From that list - IMO Lambiel. Those spins, all the in-betweens and cat-like moves... :cool:

J

Joesitz

Windspirit - I gotta agree with you on Stephan, but not exclusively. I also go strongly for Ilia Klimkin.

All those mentioned in the posts are good examples of lyrical skating. What gives me the nod to Klimkin and Lambiel is that they rise above the sterotype and skate it their way. I actually get anxious when they take the ice.

(Jeff and Johnny, need to learn to be strong as well as lyrical. A storybook Prince can also play a suave swashbuckler.)

Joe

S

SHINE2002

stephane...

I've just recently watched Stephane's exhibition number from Euros this year. Man, have a found a new favorite. He's my masculine version of Emanuel Sandhu. What a beautiful dancer! I thought he had great potential when I watched Euros 2002, but I've now completely fallen in love with him. Very, very few skaters can move like that, with such musicality.