Movie Musicals - the lesser known ones? | Golden Skate

Movie Musicals - the lesser known ones?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Which movies that aren't as well loved (or well known) are your favorites?

I'm rewatching one of mine right now and it got me thinking. Also looking on Netflicks I realized there are a lot more that I didn't know about...

I'm watching Paint Your Wagon - who knew Eastwood could sing, eh? ;) - and I absolutely love it. Cracks me up every time... it doesn't get enough love! :clap:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw the movie version of "Paint Your Wagon" once. While I didn't enjoy the movie as much as the other Lerner & Loewe musicals (My Fair Lady, Camelot, Brigadoon, and Gigi), there are some very good songs from Paint Your Wagon. I particularly like "They Call the Wind Maria," "Wanderin' Star," & "I'm on My Way." I've known and liked these songs since elementary school. Re: Camelot - let me qualify that - I :love: the Broadway cast recording of it (& it's my all time favorite Broadway musical) with Richard Burton, Julie Andrews :love:, & Robert Goulet. I'm not as crazy about the movie version of it.

Back to other movie musicals - I really like "1776!" Clever song lyrics, some seriousness & humor. Love the ending scene when the Declaration of Independence roll call vote is being taken - very stirring to me.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think that classifies as well known, ant! ;)

I've never seen 1776 in movie form... but I've seen a stage production of it (UAA Theater club did a fantastic job, I loved it!)... I need to rent the movie sometime.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I'm not quite sure what's "well known", but my favorites are Bob Fosse's - Cabaret (OK, so that one is obviously very well known) and All That Jazz.

flying camel

Medalist
I would have to go with 42nd street. A lot of people don't know about it because it's an old black & white film. I just caught it on late one night and loved it. It's one of my all time favorite musicals.

Last edited:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I don't know how "lesser known" you would consider it, but I absolutely love Funny Girl. I'm putting it in here because I don't know how many of you younger posters have ever seen it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I can't stand Striesand... so I've never watched it all the way through. Just required scenes in different classes over the last 8 or so years.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Which movies that aren't as well loved (or well known) are your favorites?

I'm rewatching one of mine right now and it got me thinking. Also looking on Netflicks I realized there are a lot more that I didn't know about...

I'm watching Paint Your Wagon - who knew Eastwood could sing, eh? ;) - and I absolutely love it. Cracks me up every time... it doesn't get enough love! :clap:

Well, I don't know if even Clint considers it singing, although he is very musical and plays Jazz piano. Most movie buffs think of it as a rather odd part for Clint (the man with no name fame) wandering through the forest "singing" "I talk to the trees, but they don't answer me..." to play. Oh well...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm sorry you don't like my choice. Personally I think Partner is the best character of the bunch and I enjoy the singing.

but I'm just one of those tone deaf americans. ;)

and I've never heard movie buffs discuss Paint Your Wagon when discussing Clint's movies.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I don't remember Clint Eastwood in "Paint Your Wagon" but I do remember howling at Lee Marvin's vocals. "The Flower Drum Song" is one of my favorite lesser known musicals. Loved "Cabaret".

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think the vocals are meant to be spot on... they're all a bunch of drunken miners... It feels more authentic if they aren't pristine angelic voices... they come close to that with Eastwood - it's not powerful and it doesn't show any type of range, but it's more apple pie clean cut back home farmer boy to the whiskey and smoke of the others - and then you have the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band too!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni - definitely rent "1776."

Awesomeice - ITA - "Funny Girl" is terrific!

Merrywidow - I :love: the music to "Flower Drum Song," much of which I learned in elementary school music assemblies ("A Hundred Million Miracles," "Sunday, Sweet Sunday," "Grant Avenue"). I guess I'm not surprised by that since I :love: Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals in general.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I have two...

Grace of My Heart - its loosely based on Carol King (I think...) the songwriter. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie. So awesome... plus it has Illiana Douglas as the star which just adds to to its awesomeness...

Sparkle - its Dreamgirls before it was Dreamgirls... cindy story of three sisters from Harlem who have dreams of making it big and the obsticles set in their way. Star Irene Cara of Fame well, fame and Philip Michael Douglas of Miami Vice. Great film but because it was released during the whole Blaxpotation period of movie making in the 70s, it never got its proper recognition, but its absolutely one the best musical fims of all time...

Oh! I almost forgot Xanadu...

Lilli

Rinkside
I love Finnian's Rainbow. Fred Astaire and Petula Clark were both very good in this movie.