Abbott is USA Today's Athlete of the Week! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Abbott is USA Today's Athlete of the Week!

Considering Skate Boarding, I think Figure Skating gets off easy. can you imagine 11 players chasing you down the field, tackle you and you get a concussion, if you are lucky and not a spinal injury. I've seen a girl get hit with a Tbar in skiing, a spinal injury when the horse threw off a rider. The Diving sports produce their share of injuries as do all Sports.

One has the choice to practice and compete in a sport. Why blame the ISU or even the coach?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Considering Skate Boarding, I think Figure Skating gets off easy. can you imagine 11 players chasing you down the field, tackle you and you get a concussion, if you are lucky and not a spinal injury. I've seen a girl get hit with a Tbar in skiing, a spinal injury when the horse threw off a rider. The Diving sports produce their share of injuries as do all Sports.

One has the choice to practice and compete in a sport. Why blame the ISU or even the coach?
Other sports may be more dangerous, but is that really the standard to which figure skating should aspire?

1. In most sports with a high risk of injury, participants have at least some form of protective gear. Figure skaters go out on the ice with nothing except their outfits and skates.

2. Figure skaters may be more prone to reptitive stress and strain injuries rather than to injuries that occur during a performance.

3. Why blame the ISU? Because it essentially changed the rules for the skaters by bringing in new requirements under CoP, without, it seems, weighing the possible consequences for their health.

4. Athletes in professional sports such as basketball, football (both kinds) and baseball are much better rewarded financially than figure skaters are, which can better compensate for the risks they take.

I am actually pro-CoP, and I think overall it was the right thing for figure skating. But it still needs to be worked on and changed to best serve the needs of figure skating.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Other sports may be more dangerous, but is that really the standard to which figure skating should aspire?

1. In most sports with a high risk of injury, participants have at least some form of protective gear. Figure skaters go out on the ice with nothing except their outfits and skates.

After Tat & Max's horrible crash on their lift the debate happened about whether or not pairs skaters should wear helmets... most pairs skaters themselves said NO. That they didn't want to wear the protective gear.

so again it's a choice.

After Tat & Max's horrible crash on their lift the debate happened about whether or not pairs skaters should wear helmets... most pairs skaters themselves said NO. That they didn't want to wear the protective gear.

so again it's a choice.
The same thing happened in hocky. The NHL made the players wear helmets. The players hated it. Helmets are for sissies. Real men have closed head injuries.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hockey's a contact sport. padding and helmets is a smart move...

freak accidents in skating aren't as often an occurance.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Considering how many falls we see in most events, maybe some knee and elbow padding would be good ;). There are other non-contact sports that require protection, even though serious accidents aren't that common.

But on the whole, I agree that the injury problem is not from falls and accidents during performances so much as from the training and the repetitive stress and strain on skaters' bodies. Yes, it's a choice, but some of the requirements could be changed or modified so that such a choice wouldn't be necessary. The contorted spin and spiral positions can be the first to go; if a skater is unusually flexible, reward spin positions with GOEs or in the PCS.

merrybari

Final Flight
Considering how many falls we see in most events, maybe some knee and elbow padding would be good ;). There are other non-contact sports that require protection, even though serious accidents aren't that common.

But on the whole, I agree that the injury problem is not from falls and accidents during performances so much as from the training and the repetitive stress and strain on skaters' bodies. Yes, it's a choice, but some of the requirements could be changed or modified so that such a choice wouldn't be necessary. The contorted spin and spiral positions can be the first to go; if a skater is unusually flexible, reward spin positions with GOEs or in the PCS.

I quite agree - well said! :thumbsup:

Problem is figure skating has gone from 'ballet-like' to full fledged Acrobatics. I don't think CoP caused that. Is was showing up in the 6.0 system as well.

I do not think the ISU can stop it short of banning certain lifs and body contortions.

Has the age limits proved less dangerous for children? Wasn't that what the ISU had in mind?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the problem with the age limit is that it isn't consistant. the younger skaters can still participate in the Grand Prix as a senior as well as their nationals (and four continents/euros... I think?) so really "protecting" them from the olympic and world strain doesn't WORK because most of their competitions are just as stressful and they need the big jumps and tricks to be competitive for them.

abaka

Rinkside
Three points:

a) Abbott being the athlete of the week is a great sign that skaiting is still taken seriously in the USA. Writing from Canada, the last ten years have been barren, barren, barren.

b) Skating with protective padding is like baseball with corked bats. :)

c) Re hockey: right on, MathMan!

mskater93

Record Breaker
the problem with the age limit is that it isn't consistant. the younger skaters can still participate in the Grand Prix as a senior as well as their nationals (and four continents/euros... I think?) so really "protecting" them from the olympic and world strain doesn't WORK because most of their competitions are just as stressful and they need the big jumps and tricks to be competitive for them.

Younger skaters cannot compete in 4CC/Euros - those are considered ISU championship events, but otherwise you are dead on.

lcd

Match Penalty
This is fantastic. Where is Phil Hersh now?

In an ironic twist, I agree with both sides on this... while Phil Hersh's "grumpiness" is a sore spot amongst us fans... his is a voice that could be thought of as a "call to arms" of sorts too... I don't know... range of opinions, don't bash me for it. I think sometimes, it takes someone with a big loud mouth to wake everyone up from their complacensy... once we're done grousing about Phil, then I think we should 'reward' the likes of USA Today for making the pick.

Heartfelt congratulations to Jeremy. Well done, well earned, and good for USA Skating!!