Russian Nationals 2008 - 2009 | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Russian Nationals 2008 - 2009

lmarie086

Medalist
I'm heartbroken for Bobrova/Soloviev I was so looking forward to seeing them at Europeans and now they won't be able to go, soo sad!!!

Same! I was really hoping they'd be at Europeans. Hopefully we'll see more of them next season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, both the US and Canada are picking the Viennese CD for Nationals rather than the Finnstep.

oleada

Record Breaker
I think the USFS picked the Paso or Viennese because they have Junior teams competing as seniors nationally.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about that. I really don't know where I heard it. :laugh:

Juliata

Spectator
I liked very much Ushakova-Karev... Too bad that they split... I know that Karev takes practice with another partner, but they have not participated in Russian Nationals this year... And Ushakova was supposed to skate with Gerome Blanchard, but they also split...

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Is the Finnstep as tough as it sounds? I read that none of the couples at Russian Nationals, save Khoklova and Novitski could do a good Finnstep.

Eurofan

On the Ice
Thanks, oleada.

Of the actual senior ladies, I find myself rooting for Leonova. In addition to her programs from Russian Nat's I've seen her two GP events. She smiles; she tries to put life and expression into her performances; she skates fairly clean. Martinova, Gerboldt, and Ievleva's artistry is invariably spoiled by stumbles and falls. Doronina's skating is crude and unpolished. And then there's Nina Petushkova, possibly the most grim, stolid, graceless lady on the ice, executing her programs with all the wow factor of a reasonably efficient cement-mixer...with that being the state of Russian ladies figure skating for the past three years or so, Leonova looks pretty darned good.

oleada

Record Breaker
I agree with your assesment. I find Leonova enjoyable to watch, she always tries to emote and connect with the audience and she does what she's capable of pretty darn well. For the past two seasons, she's the one who's been keeping Russia's two JW spots. I like her.

Sdongxie

On the Ice
I am no dance expert, but I've heard that it's in fact quite difficult. I've also read that the other two CDs for this season are fairly simple.

Ladies videos, which hadn't been posted in this thread:

Sotnikova SP
Sotnikova LP

Tuktamysheva SP
Tuktamysheva LP

both girls are very talented.
Before this competition, I liked Sotnikova more, but after see the videos from this competition, I can't stop myself to fall in love with Tuktamysheva's skating.
What a talent she is! Good speed, Good jumps, great 3lutz, and the spins are not bad too. And she has good posture and feeling of the music.
Love her and hope she can get over the growth spurt which has affected the Russian ladies very much, and make a breakthrough at Junior Worlds or even Worlds years later...

Eurofan

On the Ice
... I find Leonova enjoyable to watch, she always tries to emote and connect with the audience ...

I think that's what I immediately liked about Leonova. I get the impression that she really wants to connect with the audience and give them a good performance. I think her smiles are genuine; they're spontaneous, not part of the choreography, she's actually happy with what she's doing. It seems like too many ladies go to competitions under such pressure not to disappoint the Russian federation that they end up doing exactly what they're trying to avoid. Consequently, they don't connect with the audience; the nerves kick in, the mistakes start happening, and then they just try to salvage what points they can. So, go Alena! I hope to see more of this girl.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
Before this competition, I liked Sotnikova more, but after see the videos from this competition, I can't stop myself to fall in love with Tuktamysheva's skating.
What a talent she is! Good speed, Good jumps, great 3lutz, and the spins are not bad too. And she has good posture and feeling of the music.
Love her and hope she can get over the growth spurt which has affected the Russian ladies very much, and make a breakthrough at Junior Worlds or even Worlds years later...

I like both of them - their styles are so different, but both are enjoyable. I think Tuktamysheva has better jumps - her 3Lz is really great, and her 3T is really improved. She needs to work on getting higher levels sometimes, but overall she's got the whole package. I'm impressed with her mental strength and ability to come back from behind to win the LP. Her performance was really mature for her age. I liked it a lot. It's hard to believe she only turned 12 last month!

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's very sad and shocking to see how badly skating in Russia has regressed since 2006. :frown: