2009 US Nationals & Worlds TV schedule | Golden Skate

2009 US Nationals & Worlds TV schedule

Sylvia

Record Breaker
2009 US Nationals & Worlds TV schedule (NBC/Oxygen)

Dates/times copied from: http://web.icenetwork.com/events/schedule.jsp?mode=tv

All Times Eastern

2009 U.S. Figure Skating Championships

Sat. January 24, 2009
Championship Free Dance and Pairs FS (final groups)
NBC 3:00pm - 6:00pm (Live)

Championship Ladies FS
NBC 9:00pm - 11:00pm (Live)

Sun. January 25, 2009
Championship Men FS
NBC 4:00pm - 6:00pm (Live)

Sat. January 31, 2009
Skating Spectacular (Taped)
NBC 2:30pm - 4:30pm

2009 World Figure Skating Championships

Wed. March 25, 2009
Oxygen 4:30pm - 6:30pm Pairs SP? (taped)
Oxygen 6:30pm - 8:30pm (Live) Men's SP

Thu. March 26, 2009
Oxygen 12:00am - 2:00am (Live) Pairs FS
Oxygen 11:00pm - 2:00am (Live) Men's FS

Fri. March 27, 2009
Oxygen 4:30pm - 6:30pm
Oxygen 6:30pm - 8:30pm (Live) Ladies SP

Sat. March 28, 2009
Oxygen 12:00am - 2:00am (Live) Free Dance
NBC 9:00pm - 11:00pm (Live) Ladies FS

Last edited:

MissIzzy

Final Flight
2009 World Figure Skating Championships

Wed. March 25, 2009
Oxygen 4:30pm - 6:30pm Pairs SP? (taped)
Oxygen 6:30pm - 8:30pm (Live) Men's SP

Thu. March 26, 2009
Oxygen 12:00am - 2:00am (Live) Pairs FS
Oxygen 11:00pm - 2:00am (Live) Men's FS

Fri. March 27, 2009
Oxygen 4:30pm - 6:30pm
Oxygen 6:30pm - 8:30pm (Live) Ladies SP

Sat. March 28, 2009
Oxygen 12:00am - 2:00am (Live) Free Dance
NBC 9:00pm - 11:00pm (Live) Ladies FS

In other words, the one event most of the American public would get to see is the one event in which American skaters are least likely to medal. Would someone please whap someone at NBC on the head with recent results?

enlight78

Medalist
In other words, the one event most of the American public would get to see is the one event in which American skaters are least likely to medal. Would someone please whap someone at NBC on the head with recent results?

I must agree.

efreedman

On the Ice

They didn't get the memo!:p

R.D.

Record Breaker

It may not matter though...would anyone have watched in the first place?

Edit: It could be entirely possible that there may not be any American skaters in NBC's live broadcast window. Yikes. Promoting that event could be tough.

Last edited:

casken

On the Ice
I'm just thrilled that we're getting live coverage, including what looks like the final two Dance groups.

I feel bad for people who don't have Oxygen though.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
That's not true! The US ladies have a much better shot at it than any of the US pairs, including M/B ;)! But other than that, you're absolutely right. The best American fans can hope for, I think, is for Flatt or Wagner to sneak into the final group.

The good news is that the men's LP will be late enough for me to catch the end. Whether I'll actually want to watch the final group is another matter :p.

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
This is pathetic. If this is accurate and remains unchanged, NBC will have put one more nail in the coffin of skating in this country. They already turned the casual viewing public against skating with their over the top ranting in SLC. The sport has never recovered.

Their shoddy broadcasting strategy is beyond logic. Ice dance has been our best discipline for the last four years. If they can't show it live, they should at least show it tape delayed on NBC. Abbott just won the GPF and could be a medal contender if he gets to LA. Some of the other men are also threats for top five finishes when they are on. This is the pre-Olympic Worlds for Pete's sake! The audience needs to be familiar with the skaters if NBC hopes they will tune in to watch the games in Vancouver. Who cares if the winners are American or not? This is a global sport. Canada has lots of medal worthy talent too. The Japanese, French, Russians, Chinese and Yu-Na are all engaging and entertaining skaters with compelling stories. They deserve attention given they'll be leading the pack in Vancouver.

IIRC Witt and the Canadian skaters got plenty of attention during the 87 Worlds in Cincinnati so their performances in Calgary held people's interest. The same was true of Ito and many of the Russians and even the Duchenays who were still making a name for themselves. This is how you build interest in rivalries. The moronic approach NBC is taking is the same shortsighted, backward looking mindlessness that killed tennis on television here in America.

I have to hope that NBC is planning on revising their lineup to include more Worlds coverage on NBC after Nationals and maybe 4CC results are known. It's not like they have any decent quality programming to fill the air time on a Friday or Saturday night. By the time late March gets here they will likely have canceled many of their mid-season replacements for the Fall Friday shows they just finished canceling. All they'd have left at that point iare reruns on Law and Order in all its incarnations. (Not to mention the real possibility of an actors strike after the new year that would kill production on all shows)

If they don't change, is there any hope that Ice Network will negotiate rights to stream the CD, OD, and SP's? They are not my first choice, but I'm desperate. Skating deserves better than this.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The moronic approach NBC is taking is the same shortsighted, backward looking mindlessness that killed tennis on television here in America.

Tennis is dead in America? I doubt it. ESPN shows hours and hours of the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the French Open each year, and I believe starting this year (?) they'll have the US Open as well. NBC dedicates an entire week during the summer to Wimbledon coverage and has done so for many years. and CBS shows the ladies' final at the US Open in prime time. Plus, there IS a Tennis Channel out there for those who want it. The ratings may not be sky-high and it may not get the coverage that golf does, but the coverage is there.

I agree, however, that this Worlds needs to be viewed as an opportunity to introduce the American public to what likely will be the playing field in the Vancouver Olys. Unless they're planning on picking up the '09 GP series.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Didn't the MEN get primetime coverage last year at US Nationals? I know they closed out the show there at the arena...

and isn't that why NBC pushed for the two weekend event for 2010 so that men and ladies both get that primetime coverage?

I think NBC realizes that ladies aren't the exciting TV anymore, the sponsors -I assume- are late to the game.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Didn't the MEN get primetime coverage last year at US Nationals? I know they closed out the show there at the arena...

and isn't that why NBC pushed for the two weekend event for 2010 so that men and ladies both get that primetime coverage?

The move was due to the writer's strike and not having any original Dateline episodes to air. This year, they are currently listed for live Sunday afternoon coverage. Now that there's no writer's strike, I think it will stay that way. But at least, hopefully, all the coverage will actually be LIVE like they promised during the initial signing of the contract.

enlight78

Medalist
I know with the two week event we get more televise coverage but how is this helping the skaters who have to go to 4CC. The japanese skaters have a whole month to prepare. The cananadians at least have almost two weeks to cool down. We should be holding Nationals starting next week. Are skaters need time to rest to do there best; especially if the top ones don't go. Are USFSA trying to hinder their own skaters?

jcoates

Medalist
QUOTE=Red Dog;357374]Tennis is dead in America? I doubt it. ESPN shows hours and hours of the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the French Open each year, and I believe starting this year (?) they'll have the US Open as well. NBC dedicates an entire week during the summer to Wimbledon coverage and has done so for many years. and CBS shows the ladies' final at the US Open in prime time. Plus, there IS a Tennis Channel out there for those who want it. The ratings may not be sky-high and it may not get the coverage that golf does, but the coverage is there. I agree, however, that this Worlds needs to be viewed as an opportunity to introduce the American public to what likely will be the playing field in the Vancouver Olys. Unless they're planning on picking up the '09 GP series.[/QUOTE]

I guess I should have been clearer. I meant to say that tennis was dealt a near death blow in this country over the course of the last decade. It's blossoming in many other parts of the world and has been for a long time. Casual US viewers finally caught on to that fact in 2008. Last year was better in terms of public awareness because of a couple of key results, but much of the year flew under the radar. In the end, it may prove to be an anomaly. The men's US Open final for example was poorly rated due to being a day behind.

Yes ESPN has coverage of the majors, but it puts a fair bit of it on its website as streaming content and many cable carriers (like Comcast) block access to that portion of the sight. Now, aside from the Majors, a lot of tennis does not get TV coverage at all or gets relegated to hard to find carriers like FOX Sports Net whose coverage varies by geographic region. While I am fortunate enough to have the tennis channel it does not have access to a lot of important events and many carriers and areas of the country still do not provide it to viewers. People like me who live and eat tennis will still find a way to get coverage anyway mostly at an additional cost on cable or by streaming video subscription. That lack of consistency is what lead some leaders in US tennis to rethink some of their rights agreements to demand more continuity and access for fans. But it's a deep hole to climb out of and will take a major investment of time and money. Skating is perilously heading down the same path.

My point is that tennis used to be a mainstream TV sport that got coverage during its full season on local sports reports, in Sports Illustrated and was on broadcast TV almost every weekend. (Sound familiar?) Both sports' market share is shrinking progressively from one year to the next. Go to any tennis forum and you will see what I mean. Due to poor marketing US tennis focused for decades either on a classic generation of exceptional performers or less talented home grown players while ignoring better foreign born. In the interim, interest among casual fans waned while waiting for the next McEnroe. Skating is now getting the same treatment while waiting for the next Kwan. Other deeper disciplines will get short shrift. Meanwhile, each season the amount and quality of coverage decreases and the placement changes. If a change is not made, it may not be on TV at all for much longer.

Better stated, can you tell me what's happening in tennis in March or October these days? Unless you are a dedicated fan, probably not. Now pose that same question to a casual skating fan about periods of the skating season not close to nationals or worlds. It's those people we need to pull back in and soon.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, I just want skating (and tennis) to return to some facsimile of their former broadcast glory.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting point. I'm not a big fan of tennis so I don't follow it. I don't even watch the championship events...maybe just bits and pieces of the final rounds.

Golf is now getting that mainstream coverage you're talking about, mainly due to Tiger Woods. Not only major tournaments, but practically every invitational gets some sort of network TV coverage, it seems. Once he retires, I bet you anything golf fans will start complaining about dwindling coverage as well. But there is always the Golf Channel.

Due to poor marketing US tennis focused for decades either on a classic generation of exceptional performers or less talented home grown players while ignoring better foreign born. In the interim, interest among casual fans waned while waiting for the next McEnroe.

I wonder if US skating could be headed down this path. It seems like the talent is now overseas, and here we are, lamenting the loss of Kwan and issuing a plea for Cohen to come back, instead of looking to our current contenders and following their progress. If none of them turns into a star, for skating to stay on US TV, Americans will HAVE to warm up to skaters from other countries. However, that does begin with an effort on the network's part on promoting them or at least giving it a shot. I felt that that's exactly what ESPN did during its coverage last year. Didn't seem to work. The ABC portion of the 2008 World Championships, where no American was in contention for a medal, got a lower rating that ALL of NBC's Nationals telecasts.

Last edited:
I think NBC faces the Olympic catch 22. The big thing in the Olympics is which country wins the most medals. So if the U.S. doesn't have a Nancy Kerrigan going against an Oksana Baiul, or a Debi Thomas versus Katarina Witt, then -- meh -- bring on skateboarding and the Flying Tomato.

Get rid of the Olympic tie-in, and maybe fans will see that figure skating is a cool sport in its own right (apart from patriotic flag-waving). Then we could try to market events like the World Championship and international competitors. Roger Federer has a lot of U.S. fans in tennis, why not Mao Asada and Yuna Kim?

The US Nationals

Veeeeeree intairessting. The Men's Division closes the show on Sunday afternoon when all the family is together after Sunday lunch. The Ladies, however, have prime time on Saturday night. And Saturday is an all day affair!

I do not think NBC had much input for US Nats in Cleveland. This was probably decided by the Host City and the USFS.

While I do not see much interest in US Ladies at Worlds, I do find the Nats sparkling with eager Ladies to find their place for the Worlds.

The Worlds

I believe by March, all TVs will be changed to HD. Is that correct? Does that mean all TVs will have cable? So much will be shown on Oxygen, I'd hate anyone to miss the Mens and Pairs, both very tight competitions.
And what about that Skate Dance after midnight? Reminds me of a Patsy Klein tune.

Otherwise, the two American Ladies will be shown on NBC, hopefully. I say hopefully because the SPs will be over, and we will know what their position is for the LP. Since 2 hours is sufficient to show 12 skaters, the question begs whether the 2 American Ladies will get into one of those groups, and will their results add up to 13. I think they can, but hey, yaneverknoww with that slippery ice.

Why didn't NBC have a little chat with Scott Hamilton in planning this?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no, not all TVs will be on Cable... all they have are high def tvs or a converter box

and not everyone in the US has to convert - unlike what you see on the tv ads - small towns in Alaska (and I assume elsewhere) don't have to convert... we're exempt.

samba

On the Ice
I think NBC faces the Olympic catch 22. The big thing in the Olympics is which country wins the most medals. So if the U.S. doesn't have a Nancy Kerrigan going against an Oksana Baiul, or a Debi Thomas versus Katarina Witt, then -- meh -- bring on skateboarding and the Flying Tomato.

Get rid of the Olympic tie-in, and maybe fans will see that figure skating is a cool sport in its own right (apart from patriotic flag-waving). Then we could try to market events like the World Championship and international competitors. Roger Federer has a lot of U.S. fans in tennis, why not Mao Asada and Yuna Kim?

Roger Federer is hot and cool which helps. If Kira Korpi were the top female skater might help draw US fans. Female tennis got help from Maria Sharapova.:laugh: :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I believe by March, all TVs will be changed to HD. Is that correct?

Digital TV and High-Definition TV should not be confused. HDTV is Digital, but the opposite is not true. Standard definition TV has to be transmitted in the Digital format as well.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Last edited: