Memory Lane: Kristi and Rudy | Golden Skate

Memory Lane: Kristi and Rudy

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ok, I'm so generally bored with today's skating that I'm reaching back in time and watching some of those compilations of performances over the years. I'm talking about Magic Moments on Ice, Skating Through Time, etc.

A real highlight for me is Kristi's and Rudy's 1989 Romeo and Juliet long program. I have their Nationals performance of it. Their technique didn't look too subpar for the time -- was it? I guess Mishketunok and Dmitriev (sp?) were on the ascendency, and clearly K&R would not have been a threat for gold on the international stage, but maybe somewhere on the podium?

Because Kristi and Rudy looked pretty darned good. They had a lot of neat choreographic touches, such as after the first throw (don't remember what kind of throw, sorry), Kristi raises her arm as she turns out of the landing and Rudy raises his to match. Simple, perhaps, but a very effective touch as they matched their movements superbly. The move in which Rudy swoops Kristi down, forward, and back up (picture his arm moving as though he were bowling a ball) -- just another neat touch. Their sbs spins and jumps were superb, not surprising given their prowess as singles skaters, but the interesting part was that they were opposite spinners and jumpers. They had the choreography nailed so that the opposite spins and jumps were so effective and just plain kewl looking on the ice.

Their pair spins were noticeably slow and their overhead twist in that performance looked a little rough, but overall, wow, what a watchable skate!

With my enjoyment of both their success as singles skaters I never really lamented their breakup as a pair team, although I was always sorry because it was clear from Rudy's comments that he didn't want to end the partnership, but now I'm starting to really regret what might have been with those two.

Would love to hear from others! Did you enjoy this pair team (look them up on the internet if they were before your time!)? How far do you think they could have gone technically? Were they too close together in size to do some of the more difficult lifts and other pair moves safely and easily?

Thanks and I know I'm really reaching into the past here, but the boards seem so quiet for having just had the GPF! Maybe others will enjoy a walk down memory lane!

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I first saw them when Kristi was 15 & Rudi was 17. Talk about adorable. You could see the talent in both of them even at that young age. I was sorry to see them split up but both went on to win glory as single skaters. I corresponded with Rudi for a bit when he had his hip surgeries & he is so appreciative of fan support. A really sweet guy.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They are still the only pair ever to land side by side triple flips! :love:

Also AFAIR, Moskvina was interviewed and said that she felt that other than other Russian pairs, she was most concerned about Kristi and Rudi (in that era, Rudy spelled his name with an i to match Kristi) as threats at the international level in the future.

I think this was their first senior level comp? 1986 Skate America

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUMg2-eHUMk

They're so cute :)

And here's their 1990 Nationals LP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ml-B0F3c0&feature=related

I never quite liked Kristi afterwards as much as I should have because I loved this team and hated to see it break up.

BTW, in the 1990 clip,notice how much Rudy had bulked up to help with throws and lifts? To go back to singles, I seem to recall him saying he had to reduce quite a bit.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
I'd always wondered why some people spelled his name with an "i"....

During the last few years of the partnership, Rudy actually spelled his name with an i to match Kristi. When they split up, he changed back to a y, but some people stuck with the i.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Wow, watching those old videos really brings back memories for me. Kristi and Rudi were an extremely talented pair team. They skated with great speed and such lovely unison. It really does make me wonder how far they would have gone as a pair. However, their single careers were very successful. Kristi had one of the longest and most successful pro careers at the height of figure skating popularity in the U.S. Timing is everything!

Dizzy

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Now I've watched the additional programs whose links were posted. Kristi and Rudy really, really, REALLY had that "something," didn't they? They were extremely polished, even at 15 and 17, and they knew how to "finish" each and every move from their heads to their toes.

Honestly, much as I loved watching Kristi from her amateur to her pro days, now I'm wishing she'd stayed with Rudy. No wonder Moskvina marked the pair as a potential threat!

Oh, what might have been! :cool:

ETA: Thanks for the nice replies, everyone. Fun to hear from those who remember their performances and from those who are watching for the first time!

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yeah, they looked great.
I always wondered why they did not stay together. I enjoyed their programs more than most pair skaters today. The technical content was really difficult, the side by side spins in the Romeo and Juliet program were right on, that must have been really tough to do. I think they could have easily won a world title if they kept it up.

sillylionlove

Medalist
yeah, they looked great.
I always wondered why they did not stay together. I enjoyed their programs more than most pair skaters today. The technical content was really difficult, the side by side spins in the Romeo and Juliet program were right on, that must have been really tough to do. I think they could have easily won a world title if they kept it up.

From what I understand it was because Kristi has to make a decision between singles and pairs and she picked singles. If I remember back correctly.....Rudy was very upset about her decision. But he ended up winning a national championship in his home town of San Jose.....but Kristi did win a gold medal in the Olympics.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I first saw them when Kristi was 15 & Rudi was 17. Talk about adorable. You could see the talent in both of them even at that young age. I was sorry to see them split up but both went on to win glory as single skaters. I corresponded with Rudi for a bit when he had his hip surgeries & he is so appreciative of fan support. A really sweet guy.

Aw ... that was so sweet of Rudi to do that, merrywidow. :agree:

lcd

Match Penalty
I remember seeing them win their US Junior pairs title. The side-by-side triple flips, followed by steps into side-by-side triple toes were simply mind boggling.

They were a joy to watch and definitely had that special "something"... but one wonders how they would have ultimately developed given the similarity of their heights. The teams that prevailed at the top of the Worlds' podium - G&G, Mish/Dimitriev - had so much raw power, enabled by their physical proportions (female/male) and proportions. Not saying they wouldn't have made it to the top, but was going to be hard to tell whether they would have the same dynamism with the purely "pair" elements (split triple twist with the snap and height that G&G had, or that Keanu/Rockne and the Chinese pairs have now). I suppose we'll never truly know.

I think it was their second year at Worlds - 1990 - that ultimately "forced" the decision for Kristi. Her 4th place finish in ladies - behind a lower ranked US skater, Holly Cook (who essentially had a magnificent double axel that had incredible air distance, but otherwise, frankly little else 'world class' with her skating), combined with a performance in pairs that was frankly, sloppy around the edges (step out/hand down of side-by-side double axels) after a really emotionally draining year for them (their coach, Jim Hulick, had sadly passed from I believe an AIDs related colon cancer condition) - made it clear that a choice simply needed to be made.

I think she made the right choice (yes, easy to say in retrospect, as she won Worlds the following year) and while Rudi's own unhappiness and struggles seemed completely understandable, "things" had a way of working out so beautifully. I think Rudi's nationals win before his home town crowd will forever stand as one of the most 'scream out loud'/jump for joy/cry unabashedly wonderful moments in all of US Nationals history.

I think a final piece of magic would be if the two of them - before their skating careers are over - would find a way to come together... even just once... and skate a program together. There wouldn't be a dry eye in the place.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Has there ever been a case where someone competed in both disciplines at Worlds? Is it possible?

I wonder why Rudi did not look for another partner? Men usually have an easier time finding someone than ladies.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kristi Yamaguchi did... but as it was stated above - she wasn't very successful...

"way back" it wasn't uncommon for skaters to be in more than one disipline (I'm thinking before 1960/61)

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Has there ever been a case where someone competed in both disciplines at Worlds? Is it possible?

I wonder why Rudi did not look for another partner? Men usually have an easier time finding someone than ladies.

Ken Shelley was U.S. Champion in both men's a pairs and competed in both divisions at the 1972 Olympics.

Johnny Johns was U.S. Champion in both pairs and ice dance, but not at the same time. He went to Worlds in both divisions.

Quite a few skaters have competed in singles and pairs, but not at the World level in both.

Rudy is little. He needed a tiny partner like Kristi. At the time he said something like, "There isn't anyone else as good as Kristi," which was true, but there were also other factors like size and ability with the pair lifts.

lcd

Match Penalty
Kristi Yamaguchi did... but as it was stated above - she wasn't very successful...

Well I hope my earlier post wasn't meant to lead anyone to truly construe that I didn't think she wasn't "successful" ... success is all relative... we're talking WORLD level in two disciplines, and to be clear, I think her success was quite impressive. It is just that relative to what many (including probably she herself) had in terms of "expectations" they were just not quite being met. 4th is always a tough spot. I think in pairs, they didn't move up much from the prior year. So ... my post earlier really meant in the context of very high (and I think deservedly so) expectations.

Both Kristi and Rudi were tremendously success at JUNIOR Worlds. I think Kristi won double golds at the same event - ladies and pairs. Rudi won singles junior worlds as well, but in a separate year (before?) - and this is when his peers included Todd Eldridge etc.

Alsace

On the Ice
Remember that after 1990, figures were eliminated. I think that figures may have been the reason that Kristi was fourth in 1990 WC. Because she was the strongest consistent US free-skater at the time, she was USFSA's pick for top gal the following year (though Harding wound up with the title).

antmanb

Record Breaker
Rudy is little. He needed a tiny partner like Kristi. At the time he said something like, "There isn't anyone else as good as Kristi," which was true, but there were also other factors like size and ability with the pair lifts.

While he is little he doesn't have a problem throwing Johnny and doing the throw triple axel! I can't access youtube at work anymore, but search for it it's great!

Ant