Still haven't seen any of the new programs and it's almost January | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Still haven't seen any of the new programs and it's almost January

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I tried to watch on-demand on CBC once but I couldn't and I think it was because my IP address is from the US.

I'm guessing that CBC probably wouldn't mind letting Americans watch CBCsports.ca live and recorded CBC TV broadcast, if it were not for IN. As CBC has the technical capability and capacity to handle the traffic coming from the south of the border. I suspect that the coverage agreements in the US that involve IN is forcing CBC to set a filter against Americans.

CBC provides superb coverage of figure skating that features quality commentators and this year it increases figure skating coverage even more. I wish we could share this with our neighbours in the south.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Even when the GP series was on, I couldn't watch (at least the last two seasons) because I didn't get cable access in my dorm. So I can't say I necessarily miss the coverage per se. What I do miss, I'll admit, is the ability to record some of the stuff. Can't do that with IN, not with them yanking Youtube vids the second they are put up. But I was only interested in Kimmie's SA SP (which, thanks to a kind member here, I was able to get...you know who you are :) ) and her COR SP (which was yanked before I could grab it). But I won't lose any sleep over that because there's always Nationals. NBC did a decent job (IMHO) of covering the US ladies at Nats last year, so I'll count on them to do it again. (Hopefully I can count on the COMPUTER too, this time!!)

I think US Nationals is always something we'll get to see. Probably not 7+ hours of it, though...maybe 1 or 2 hours. As for the other events, get used to seeing them online because that is the 21st Century way to watch sports.

It's shocking to skate fans, but the day was coming...you all knew that. On the bright side, are still hours and hours of FS programming each season, though- Disson entertainment, Skate America, and US Nationals. And this year, those who get the exotic Oxygen network (we don't even have that at home, I tried to find it during the '08 Olys) will get plenty of Worlds coverage too. So, what I'm saying is that it could be worse.

On the bright side, are still hours and hours of FS programming each season, though- Disson entertainment, Skate America, and US Nationals.
That does seem to be the handwriting on the wall. The only figure skating shown in the U.S. will be U.S. events and shows.

The ISU, with its Grand Prixs and World Championships, will just fade away as far as U.S. coverage of the sport is concerned.

Anyone know anything about Universalsport showing figure skating on cable during Nats and Worlds? That worked very well for SA and no commentary, and complete!

sillylionlove

Medalist
Anyone know anything about Universalsport showing figure skating on cable during Nats and Worlds? That worked very well for SA and no commentary, and complete!

I wish!! I know that the channel was set up to show Olympic Sports but all they are showing endless hours of skiing, swimming, speed skating and snowboarding. Surely they could throw in some figure skating in the mix.

And I haven't seen any of the programs either and that makes me sad. I don't have ice network and don't really plan on getting it. I guess I have to wait until Nationals and Worlds which are televised to see what programs that I can.

Johar

Medalist
I really do see a day when the Nationals and Worlds are not televised. Skaing just isn't grabbing attention like it used to.

Star85

Rinkside
For those of you in the US who say you can't or don't think you can watch figure skating on CBC's website: I live in the US, and I have watched it on there. Like I said before though, I think you have to watch most of the events live. :( I think cup of China's pair's long program and last year's world's is still available. I'm not sure what else is... you'll have to browse through it all. They have a schedule page for when they will be airing every event live on the site.

I think NBC has fine coverage, but I miss the commentators from ABC! :( I especially liked Dick Button. I like CBC's coverage too. The only thing I don't like about it is the picture quality. It's pretty bad compared to ABC and NBC. But I'm still very greatful that I have it CBC available to me.

R.D.

Record Breaker
...and NBC has superior picture quality to ABC/ESPN, and this goes for all of their sports coverage.

modernmuslimah

Spectator
I like the IN coverage. Like a previous poster said, you get to see all the skaters (which isn't possible on network TV) and if I miss a competition, I can always go back and watch it on demand (I'm one of the few who still doesn't have a DVR). The only thing I don't like about IN is lack of commentary. I know I use to complain about too much commentary on network TV but no commentary at all is a bit a of drag too.

R.D.

Record Breaker
That does seem to be the handwriting on the wall. The only figure skating shown in the U.S. will be U.S. events and shows.

I don't really have a problem with that at the current time. Should an American (or Americans) rise and challenge for gold, I'd hope they'd try to at least show worlds.

Jasper

Final Flight
I really miss ESPN coverage because it was good quality. And it's always better to watch figure skating on TV than on a computer.

What I do to watch this season's stuff is http://fsvids.net. ;) That's my helpful hint.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't have the restriction pass at FSvids so I go there just for old stuff I can't find.

Jasper

Final Flight
All you need to do is reupload a few programs you have downloaded from fsvids, post the links, and then message a mod and be like, "Look, see! I deserve restricted pass! I am a good member!"

KayMil01

On the Ice
I like IN coverage, but I agree with the lack of commentary...it can get kind of dull without it and would be kinda nice to hear professional opinions/remarks from commentators...esp. for the less educated skating fans like myself who sometimes have a heard time recognizing the technical stuff.

Oh well, it's better than watching no skating at all. One thing I find interesting is you can hear that skaters/coaches talking to each other at the side of the rink and in the kiss and cry...I like to hear what they say. Ryan Bradley and Jeremy Abbott made me laugh a few times with their comments in the K&C (swear words lol.) Esp Ryan at Skate Canada after his LP "see Mom, I'm not gay!" LOL what? :rofl: and then Marina Zoueva shushed him...haha.

gold12345

Medalist
I also miss seeing skaters' reaction backstage when they win. ESPN would always show you things like that. It's not the same on the internet.

On another note, didn't NBC get pretty good ratings for Nationals last season? Guys have all their football, basketball, baseball, and what not, but don't a lot of women still like to watch skating?

R.D.

Record Breaker
On another note, didn't NBC get pretty good ratings for Nationals last season? Guys have all their football, basketball, baseball, and what not, but don't a lot of women still like to watch skating?

They got decent numbers...compared to last year, that is, when most of the coverage was on cable. However, I remember Sports Media Watch reporting that fewer people watched NBC's Saturday primetime broadcast than watched ABC's Ladies' FS telecast in prime time back in 2006. In other words, the lowest-rated primetime Nats telecast, at least in recent history. In addition I think they said that NBC ranked last or second to last in that night's ratings.

The bottom line in all this is sponsorship which is how any network makes its money, and given two hours of time would mean more than one sponsor. All Amercian networks are profit making organizations. They do not love Golf any more than Skating except Golf can get the sponsors.

Maybe, if NBC were to go after Pharmaceuticals, and Cosmetics they might make a profit. Skating is a woman's sport in America.

modernmuslimah

Spectator
They got decent numbers...compared to last year, that is, when most of the coverage was on cable. However, I remember Sports Media Watch reporting that fewer people watched NBC's Saturday primetime broadcast than watched ABC's Ladies' FS telecast in prime time back in 2006. In other words, the lowest-rated primetime Nats telecast, at least in recent history. In addition I think they said that NBC ranked last or second to last in that night's ratings.

Yeah, last years ratings got lower ratings than COPS and America's Most Wanted (which were the highest ranked shows of that night). However, the Ladies FS wasn't the lowest ranked program that evening. A Saturday Night Movie shown on ABC was ranked lower.

As I said above, All sports are shown based on the networks attempts to get them sponsorships. They sell by the half hour and I think for the Super Bowl they sell by the minute. Figure Skating does not come near that average.

Getting higher ratings does affect the ability for a network to sell a sports program to a sponsor. Problem today is not the networks (unless they are not doing a good job of sellling) but the sponsors buying the sale.

How many fans buy Campbells soup? shop at Marshalls; eat Diet meals, and whatever else were being sponsored on the networks? Did the sponsors make money because of figure skating? I kind of think not because if they did, we would still be seeing Nats, Worlds and GPFs on TV. Maybe abridged but we would see them. It would be nice if Toyota bought into American figure skating.