Maia & Alex Shibutani Article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Maia & Alex Shibutani Article

I love to see them succeed ~
((I hope they beat Chock/Zuerlein :scowl: !!))
((Sorry all Chock/Zuerlein fans~~~ :biggrin:))
I love to see them have success too. However, in addiion to Chock/Zuuerlein, I believe The Hubbells will be there. Not sure, though.

I'd like to see the US sweep the Dance, but there is one Russian couple knocking on the podium door.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
They are so stinkin cute it isn't even funny, and their talent is just WOW :eek: Saw them for the first time in 2008 and they were totally the highlight of their event(s). Love. Them.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I love to see them have success too. However, in addiion to Chock/Zuuerlein, I believe The Hubbells will be there. Not sure, though.

Yes, I really like the Hubbells but I hope the Shibutanis overtake them as well :scowl: ~!!!
I think of Chock/Zuerlein immediately because of their marginal win over the Shibutanis at Nationals. :p
I think they will use this next month or so to really perfect their skating >:D ((The Shibutanis I mean-))

^ I don't know why, but I love that post! :yes:

THANK YOU~!!!

Mathman, How could you not? with that great Alex & Maia banner he has!

THANK YOU as well!!

Last edited:

koreasktr

Rinkside
Yes, I really like the Hubbells but I hope the Shibutanis overtake them as well :scowl: ~!!!
I think of Chock/Zuerlein immediately because of their marginal win over the Shibutanis at Nationals. :p
I think they will use this next month or so to really perfect their skating >:D ((The Shibutanis I mean-))

I hope so too!!!
Shibutanis young (14, 17) and this is their first year in Junior internationally. H/H, C/Z, and R/G have all competed before. Maia + Alex have no pressure. Everyone else has pressure! :p:laugh:
We will see!!! I think Shibutanis Paso Doble is great and this is dance for JW. :rock::agree:
Bythe way, I have never seen so much support (world wide) for young dance team. They are so special. I wonder if they know they have so so much international fan appeal?!:biggrin:

koreasktr

Rinkside
Kind of off topic but..;)

Ooh and also...lots of people talk about Yu-Na and Patrick Chan:laugh:
But I love Alex!! :love::chorus: and if anybody date Alex I would only be okay with Yu-Na.:biggrin::p AHAH!!:laugh:

Fashionista

On the Ice
Good duo. They are technically strong and may even have the best twizzles among american pairs who traditionally have problems with this element. But IMO they look as a pair skaters not only because of their height difference but also because of lack of artistry. But I hope it's just a question of their age and time.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Good duo. They are technically strong and may even have the best twizzles among american pairs who traditionally have problems with this element. But IMO they look as a pair skaters not only because of their height difference but also because of lack of artistry. But I hope it's just a question of their age and time.

I don't see any lack of artistry in their skating. I think their FD this year is beautifully presented.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
But I see. Sorry.

Don't be sorry. Its just a difference in opinions. I think That Maia and Alex are really complete skaters, in that they do well with both the technical and the artistic aspects of skating. But their presentation may not be everyones cup of tea.

Nigel

On the Ice
Don't be sorry. Its just a difference in opinions. I think That Maia and Alex are really complete skaters, in that they do well with both the technical and the artistic aspects of skating. But their presentation may not be everyones cup of tea.

Perhaps in time, the differences in their heights will be less, and the presentation will evolve. IMO, that is the only drawback to their skating for being young skaters.

icedancexpert

Rinkside
I love me a cup of some Shibutani tea! :rofl: HAHA

They're great! I just wonder what people consider "artistry" if Maia and Alex are lacking it.:scratch:

They're artistry and performance ability seem evident to me just based on how many people have fallen in love with them as well as their skating. When was the last time a junior dance team commanded this much positive attention/admiration from people in the international skating community? People admire good, even great technicians, but will love/adore skaters whose skating touches their heart.

There are the Zaretiskis, The Kerrs, The Hubbells, The Shibutanis and maybe more sibling teams in Dance and Pairs.

yet some posters insist that they do not like siblings in competitions. Other than the romantic angle, what would be wrong with siblings skating together? I don't think dancing has to be romantic, but there should be rapport.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
are there people complaining of them being siblings? I didn't see it...

I actually like them out of all of the sibling teams because they don't seem to still try to put that romantic flair into any of their programs... I'm never uncomfortable seeing some of the themes/lift positions that they have in their programs... the Hubbells and Kerrs blurr the line sometimes and it just leaves me feeling weird... when they aren't doing that angle they're enjoyable.

Fashionista

On the Ice
They're great! I just wonder what people consider "artistry" if Maia and Alex are lacking it.:scratch:
Plastic, beautiful lines, passion of skating. If you watch free dances of first three pairs on the resent JGPF and then you watch Shibutanis FD you see a huge difference. For me it's huge.
But again it is normal for dancers of their age, not all were born ingenious (like V/M for instance), the majority must work hard to achieve success.