Maia & Alex Shibutani Article | Golden Skate

Maia & Alex Shibutani Article

icedancexpert

Rinkside
From Icenetwork, article/interview by Barry Mittan.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081222&content_id=57965&vkey=ice_news

After training in Colorado Springs, Colo., for two years, Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani, a brother-sister dance team, moved to Canton, Mich., to train with Igor Shpilband and Marina Zoueva in June 2006.

The decision to move was initially triggered by Alex's need to begin considering his college options. His desire to continue training as an ice dancer at a leading training center, while also being able to pursue the strongest possible undergraduate education, made moving to Michigan a natural decision...

I had not realized that Maia competed injured! When I watched their OD, I just assumed they were having an off day (We all have them).
Maia seems like such a tough cookie to fight through the pain! :bow::bow:
They seem like such great kids and I am glad that they fought through it! :clap:
They looked liked they were having so much fun even with the mistakes and it sounded like the crowd just loved them!!! :rock:
Not to mention their FD is beautiful!

This may be a transition/growth year for them but I am thoroughly convinced that they are the future of ice dance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jasper

Final Flight
I've head so much about this couple recently but I don't know them, haven't seen them. Which competitions have they skated in and how have they placed? I can look up their videos if I know where they competed. I don't think they've done any senior GPs, right?

Jasper

Final Flight
Whoa, they scored a 157+ in the JGPF, enough to beat EVERYONE in the senior version! Is the judging different for juniors, because that is amazing!!!

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I'm a little worried for them now as a physical match...she needs to grow some more...quickly! For ice dance, height difference is a problem if it's too much. They are starting to look like a pair team! But I do like them...they are talented and just adorable on the ice.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
That was a beautiful dance. Reminds me of Virtue and Moir. I hope the move works out for them. Good ice dancers are getting thick in the U.S!!!

Jasper

Final Flight
I'm a little worried for them now as a physical match...she needs to grow some more...quickly! For ice dance, height difference is a problem if it's too much. They are starting to look like a pair team! But I do like them...they are talented and just adorable on the ice.

I agree, they currently look like a pairs couple. But remember that she was born in 1994 so she's only 14! She hasn't had her growth spurt yet. However there are definite advantages to a couple with a big height difference - it hasn't hurt Del/Scho, after all - and I think it's less of a problem than a ice dance couple who is the same height.

And Tinymavy, I was also struck by their similarity in style and skating skills and lifts to V/M. NORTH AMERICA, shockingly, is becoming the powerhouse in ice dance instead of Russia/Europe. I wonder how the judges are going to like that.

icedancexpert

Rinkside
I'm actually not too worried about their height difference. Maia is only 14 and I seriously doubt that she's hit her growth spurt yet.

While their height difference is more than some other teams, it is similar to that of Delobel/Schoenfelder as well as Dubreuil/Lauzon...
Samuelson/Bates of the U.S. also have a noticeable height difference.

Their height difference doesn't take away from their performance or their magical story-telling ability. Nor does it take away from their technical ability. They're twizzles are probably the best twizzles in the world (except for Davis/White) and they're spins/footwork seem top notch as well.

koreasktr

Rinkside
WOW! :))
I love :love::love: Shibutanis!!! They are soo good! So sweet.
Maia is so young but she is so mature and kind. :biggrin:
Alex is so handsome. :biggrin: :love:
They have so many fans in Korea!!! They are my favorite ice dance team!
I wish them best luck in their future.

Shibutani picture in KBS Yu-Na New Years Special with Patrick Chan and Asada Mao: :thumbsup:

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?feature=channel&v=hXWAvT4EkAQ

koreasktr

Rinkside
Yes Yu-Na is the best She is a hero in Korea. :bow:

Maia could! She is gorgeous and sophisticated. :yes:
They make such a wonderful team. They look like they love to skate and feel music.
At grand prix final at Seoul they were so nice to all Korean fans. So gracious and sweet. All Korean girls love Alex. ;) :love:

Is this their first year junior international--they are so young. If so, very good for them! When was last time there was awesome asian ice dance team?

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
WOW! :))
I love :love::love: Shibutanis!!! They are soo good! So sweet.
Maia is so young but she is so mature and kind. :biggrin:
Alex is so handsome. :biggrin: :love:
They are my favorite ice dance team!

Exactly!!! They are the best~!!
:love:I really admire Maia and I wish I could be as confident as she! She is so young and sweet!!!
:love: I am actually basically lovestruck over Alex~! xD He is such a great skater and so kind!!!
I can't WAIT to see them at US Nationals in less than two weeks!!!!
:clap::bow::bow:
http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=38026&mode=P

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
100yen, Welcome to Golden Skate! Congratulations on your first post. Post often, post long!

I love the Shibutanis, too.

This is indeed their first year in international competition! Maia was too young before.

I fell in love with their skating when they won Intermediates in the 05/06 season. It was broadcast on CN8, with Nancy Kerrigan commentating.

Here's a link. They are so cute!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAlQSaclu4

And for any other Shibutani fans, here's some other clips:

Here's their OD from last year, as performed at Lake Placid International Dance Comp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBbScPkb8lU
Their Japanese themed OD from last year, done as an exhibition at Courchevel JGP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmSHRinOr0s

Here's their Madrid JGP cd Starlight Waltz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U7KLsqsHuA
And their OD this year from Madrid JGP (much better than at JGPF, due to the fact that Maia's foot wasn't hurt here)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm3PTRA6S6M

samba

On the Ice
I'm actually not too worried about their height difference. Maia is only 14 and I seriously doubt that she's hit her growth spurt yet.

While their height difference is more than some other teams, it is similar to that of Delobel/Schoenfelder as well as Dubreuil/Lauzon...
Samuelson/Bates of the U.S. also have a noticeable height difference.

Their height difference doesn't take away from their performance or their magical story-telling ability. Nor does it take away from their technical ability. They're twizzles are probably the best twizzles in the world (except for Davis/White) and they're spins/footwork seem top notch as well.

For Asian background, girls at 14 yo, she's most likely done with her growth. By genetic markers, their parents are not that tall, just hope that Alex is done as well. If he keeps growing, the height difference will be their major problem.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMoZl6Ft0Ko&feature=related

Gorgeous. They have tremendous talent. Although I think I'm always partly questionable about the brother-sister chemistry in ice-dance, so we'll see how that develops. I find it to be a set-back because they obviously can't get lusty or romantic together without it being strange.

So so so so beautiful. There is something that is just so natural about the way they move out there on the ice. I can't wait to see how they make the transition into seniors in another year or two.

100yen

Medalist
I fell in love with their skating when they won Intermediates in the 05/06 season. It was broadcast on CN8, with Nancy Kerrigan commentating.

I remember that performance~! Their energy was at such a high level and they had very good speed! The interview they gave was very mature as well. I was so happy for them, they really deserved that medal.

Binthere

On the Ice
I was completely floored by suggestions that Maia is "probably done" growing, particularly as was mentioned, in the context that she is Asian. What supports that conclusion?

As a pediatrician of Asian descent myself I am convinced from looking at Maia both on and off the ice that she is far from done growing. I could cite epidemiology (but won't bore people) which supports my view.

Maybe more to common sense, think of plenty of other examples we have seen amongst Asian and Asian American young ladies and when they have had their growth spurts? Michelle Kwan had her tough spurt year when she was 16. Caroline and Mirai - both 15, going on 16 - have had growth spurts in this past year. Maia is 14, and won't even turn 15 until the end of July. Rest assured. Her time will come too.

Seems to me her height is such an issue partly because there is so little else to nit-pick over. I think Alex is at or near his adult height. I find it on the rarer side for an Asian male to have such a nicely proportioned slender long legged dancer's body that he does. When it is Maia's turn and she grows a few more inches they will be :love: just stunning. (It seems he's already shaping up nicely based on the incredibly adorable fan posts on this thread :p) My pre-teen daughters agree by the way :p

So many times we have seen brother sister teams who benefit from well matched looks, but then the girl gets to be too close in height to the boy making some of the more acrobatic skills more difficult. Given the trends in the sport since Code of Points, I think it actually is a bigger problem if the male partner starts to seem too inadequate in size and height in relation to the female.

I think a reason why people seem to even care about this issue is that they are so advanced and mature for their ages. Personally, I cannot remember if we have ever seen someone as young as Maia achieve so much in ice dance (common in singles of course) at such a young age. Regardless of her height, she sure doesn't skate like any 'ole 14 year old. :bow: Even off ice - that interview she did on the Nancy Kerrigan show? At eleven?! She could give pointers to skaters twice her age ;)

Just my humble opinion, but backed by some "clinical" insights. Don't worry folks. Maia will grow, and I think it will be just in time, and they will be just fine.

Last edited:

kate

On the Ice
Maia's height is an issue because it's ice dance, and in ice dance posture and hold are everything. Alex has to learn over to achieve the correct hold which is a problem. You are right though that the only reason people are talking about her height is because they are so good. They are such a very promising dance team that I think most people fear they will eventually not match height-wise and break up because of that.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Seems to me her height is such an issue partly because there is so little else to nit-pick over.

I think it is an issue because so many people really enjoy this team and don't want to see them break up because of something like a big height difference. They are a gorgeous team and they have a lot of potential, but their dance holds do look awkward at times because she is so short.

100yen

Medalist
Binthere!!! Thank you so much for these wonderful comments and insights~! You really know what you are talking about and that is definitely reassuring!!!
It was very nice to hear from someone in the medical field on this other than people just guessing that Maia will not grow any more D;
I am glad to hear that the two of them are "shaping up" into great ice dancers (especially Alex :love: haha...). I think Maia will only get more beautiful as she grows too, because she is already very pretty :yes:
They create very nice lines on the ice that other teams are lacking, even ones that are on the senior level.
It would be heartbreaking if they ever decided to break up, but I honestly don't think that will ever happen...they work together too well and they seem very close :D
I love to see them succeed ~
((I hope they beat Chock/Zuerlein :scowl: !!))
((Sorry all Chock/Zuerlein fans~~~ :biggrin:))