Maia & Alex Shibutani Article | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Maia & Alex Shibutani Article

icedancexpert

Rinkside
Also, they have the technical ability to back up their high artistic quality of skating. All their elements are unique and creative and their execution is top notch.

Now I can only wonder what they will come up with for this coming year...(music, elements, I can't wait).

rosee

On the Ice
On ice netowork, there is now a video jounral by Alex "behind the scenes" at Junior Worlds~
It looks like so much fun!!!

I just watched it! I'm loving Adam Rippon :love:
I think they definitely should stay Juniors next year, and try to win Junior Nats & Junior Worlds.
edit: I remember that Alex did a blog for US Nats in Spokane (was that 2007). Maybe he really likes reporting.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They aren't eligible for seniors, so definitely I would think they will stay Juniors. And since they did not win junior worlds or US nationals in juniors, they won't be forced to skate seniors here in the US.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Also, they have the technical ability to back up their high artistic quality of skating. All their elements are unique and creative and their execution is top notch.

Now I can only wonder what they will come up with for this coming year...(music, elements, I can't wait).

I so agree. there is no awkward brother/sister moments that most kids have at their age. They are so mature and beautiful....i can't wait to see them in the future.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I just watched it! I'm loving Adam Rippon :love:
I think they definitely should stay Juniors next year, and try to win Junior Nats & Junior Worlds.
edit: I remember that Alex did a blog for US Nats in Spokane (was that 2007). Maybe he really likes reporting.

In an interview last year I think Alex said he wanted to be a sports reporter after his skating career. On his ice netowork profile it says, "Would have liked to have appeared on ESPN's Dream Job because he would like the opportunity to be a SportsCenter anchor"
He is a big sports fan apparently :yes:

lcd

Match Penalty
Alex is definitely a sports fan

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090324&content_id=62813&vkey=ice_news

From icenetwork blogger Mickey Brown:

They're more than just skaters

A great thing about my job is the relationships I form with the skaters I run into at competitions. One that I've become especially friendly with is Alex Shibutani, the U.S. junior and world junior silver medalist ice dancer (with his lovely younger sister, Maia).

Alex and I are both self-admitted sports nuts, and more often than not our conversations center around the state of our favorite Boston-based teams. It came as no surprise then that after I updated my Facebook status by mentioning that I went to the World Baseball Classic final last night at Dodger Stadium, I got a call from Alex today wanting to know what it was like.

I described the feverish passion with which the Korean and Japanese fans rooted for their teams and their countries, the coordinated cheers and chants and drum rhythms they all somehow knew and the clutch performances of Japan's Ichiro Suzuki and Yu Darvish. Alex, who is of Japanese descent, was riveted, like any 17-year-old who is mad about baseball would be.

Rarely in the 15 minutes we spoke did the discussion turn to skating or the world championships, and it struck me that while I'm here at this event that Alex would probably give his left arm to be at and to one day compete in (and, in my very biased opinion, will get to do so in the not-too-distant future ... the competing, not the giving of the left arm), all he wanted to know about was a baseball game. It reminded me that these kids are more than little skating robots, that they think about things other than tightening the rotation on their twizzles, that what gets them really revved up might not be a good practice session but getting together with their band mates for a jam session.

When you look at these people's names as often I do in starting orders, photo captions, articles, etc., you tend to forget that they're more than "skaters." They're real people, with likes and dislikes, just like the rest of us. It's nice to be reminded of that once in a while."