V&M Free Dance music this year | Page 4 | Golden Skate

V&M Free Dance music this year

icedancedevotee

Rinkside
Personally, I am excited to see the head-to-head between Tessa/Scott and Isabelle/Olivier. Same piece of music in question, but opposite in so many other respects: younger vs. older (relatively speaking--you're hardly OLD in your 30s!), "fast" success vs. a history of being held down by the judges, an edgy, modern interpretation (based on the YouTube clips only) vs. a sophisticated, classy one, and on and on. I think both teams will do great justice to the music (I LOVE Pink Floyd).

I will be happy if the best duo at Worlds is the one that actually wins, whether it's one of these two choices, or if it's someone else; there are a lot of good teams with good material. I fear, however, that the winner will be Domnina/Shabalin, who have, well, INTERESTING material and aren't skaing their best anymore.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
The Pink Floyd showdown may be a moot point. After reading about Isabelle's shoulder surgery, I'll be surprised if they are ready to compete at Worlds. It will probably be just too soon to put that kind of torque on her shoulder. I could be wrong, though. It's just that I'm a nurse and have worked in orthopedics and you just don't recover that quickly from shoulder injuries. Especially if lifts and turns, etc, are involved. I wish her all the best.

Lissa

Spectator
There were some links put up with exhibition footage of V/M's new FD on fsuniverse.

Pt 1

Pt 2

Let the comparisons begin...

Well hey everyone I am new here & this is my first post!:p

Big thanks for finding this preview of V&M FD & all I have to say is yes I may be in V&M's corner since I am Canadian BUT their new program to PF IMO is going to be phenominal & yes I will say it........unbeatable at Worlds if they skate it as good as they can!

WOW watching the 2 clips gave me chills because it is so unique & makes me think of the legendary Torvill & Dean who changed Ice Dance & that is what I feel V&M will do since they are so brilliant at such a young age & to be skating like that with a program that intricate & difficult is amazing & this program is going to be mind blowing at Worlds in Canada in March!!:yes:

Their lifts are far superiour to the French team in every way IMO & the entire choreography of the program is sooo difficult since they do much more in between the lifts than the French team in their PF program & just their overall V&M's skating ability is breathtaking!

Can someone please tell me what the OD is this year I am kind of out of the loop right now since I have not been keeping up since V&M have been out this season & do we know what music V&M are using for that!
Thanks!

Last edited:

Lissa

Spectator
:rofl: I agree! DomShab will bring us together :rock:

Sorry but why would you think that?
IMO V&M have just as good a chance as these 2 if not better since they are far better skater's IMO!

BTW who is DomShabs? lol

Haha never mind I just went to Youtube & watched their FD from the COC & OMG if they beat V&M with that program it will be a huge joke on the skating world! lol
They are not even in the same league as V&M!

Last edited:

all that

Final Flight
Sorry but why would you think that?
IMO V&M have just as good a chance as these 2 if not better since they are far better skater's IMO!

BTW who is DomShabs? lol

I don't understand -- you say that V/M are "far better" skaters than DomShabs, but you don't even know who DomShabs are? Is this a joke?

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Lissa, welcome to the forum.

I do think it would benefit you to learn more about the top skaters, their placements, programs, etc. I can see that you really have taken to V/M and they are very popular. It's fine to have your favorites but if you're going to make comparisons, do a little research first, okay?

Have fun posting!

Lissa

Spectator
I don't understand -- you say that V/M are "far better" skaters than DomShabs, but you don't even know who DomShabs are? Is this a joke?

Well I have seen them skate before on Youtube clips so I actually know they are Russian ice dancer's they just don't really interest me that much so I can never remember their names! :biggrin:
Therefore when they go by nicknames or like DomShabs I forget who that is! lol

But watching them do their FD this year just proves how compared to V&M they is NO competition & anyone who has followed skating & ice dancing in particular could tell that too!

Lissa

Spectator
^ But Khokhlova and Novitski (affectionately called Coke-ski) are better than all of 'em. :biggrin:

Well for me none of them have the skating quality or unison or overall talent that V&M have!

There is a reason that V&M have already started to be compared to Torvill & Dean because watching them you knew you were seeing something special taking place.........although I was very young & don't remember much of their competitive years but I saw them on tape & that is what I see happening with V&M!

Also for me the main reason all the other teams can't compare is because of Scott Moir, he is IMO going to become one of the greatest male ice dancers in history right up their with Christopher Dean!
None of the other men can compete with his abilities!

Yennefer

Rinkside
But Virtue & Moir, Khokhlova & Novitski and Domnina & Shabalin all together don't have so beautiful artistry as Delobel & Schoenfelder have. In technique they all could be comparable but artistically Isabelle & Olivier beat all other couples. Because they are more than just great skaters, because they are wonderful artists on ice first. Their skating isn't contained in frames of figure skating, it's something over this. It's not figure skating, it's artistic skating...;)

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
There is a reason that V&M have already started to be compared to Torvill & Dean because watching them you knew you were seeing something special taking place.

I feel the comparism to Torvill and Dean is a premature comment by the media and some commentators. V/M are no doubt amazingly talented, and have a wonderful connection with each other on ice, but I wish they wouldn't be so overhyped by the media so early on in their career.

casken

On the Ice
When I get to "best dance team since T&D" is usually when I stop reading a post. :laugh:

There is a reason that V&M have already started to be compared to Torvill & Dean

Because Canadians have a thing for comparing their ice dances team to Torvil and Dean? I went through that a that a decade ago with Canadians declaring B&K the best team since T&D and it was not fun. It was the same commentators selling it too. (Tracy Wilson, Rod Black, etc.) Tracy has some issues about losing to dominant Russian teams in the 80's so she'll never compare a team to highly influential Russian team like say, Klimova &Poneramenko or Gristchuk&Platov.

This is why you get people who admittedly don't know much about ice dance ready to declare a team the "best since T&D" since someone on tv already did.

Oh, and Klimova & Ponomarenko and Gritschuk & Platov were already the best teams since T&D. :bow:

Lissa

Spectator
When I get to "best dance team since T&D" is usually when I stop reading a post. :laugh:

Because Canadians have a thing for comparing their ice dances team to Torvil and Dean? I went through that a that a decade ago with Canadians declaring B&K the best team since T&D and it was not fun. It was the same commentators selling it too. (Tracy Wilson, Rod Black, etc.) Tracy has some issues about losing to dominant Russian teams in the 80's so she'll never compare a team to highly influential Russian team like say, Klimova &Poneramenko or Gristchuk&Platov.

This is why you get people who admittedly don't know much about ice dance ready to declare a team the "best since T&D" since someone on tv already did.

Oh, and Klimova & Ponomarenko and Gritschuk & Platov were already the best teams since T&D. :bow:

Well excuse me but I am the wrong person to say that too since I have followed ice dance for many years & know alot about it as well as all the cheating & crap that goes on within the federation that Canadians have tried to clean up for many years now!

Also to say G&P were a highly influential team is a joke since they were crap!
They were not nearly the greatest ice dancers, their skating abiltity was highly lacking & they were weak solo skater's so putting them together never made it much better!
If she wasn't falling over his feet he was falling over her! lol
There was a reason their was such a huge outcry after the 1994 Olympics when T&D lost to them & that was simply because everyone knew the judges were bitter that T&D came back & were STILL better than anyone else! lol

If you actually think Gritschuk & Platov could EVER compare to T&D in ANY WAY then I think we have a serious problem here!
I was about to lol but that would be rude so all I will say is this, there will IMO NEVER be a team that can touch T&D in any way but there are teams that come close & B&K were far greater than G&P & K&P & any other's that were around a few years back!

T&D were totally robbed at the Lillehammer Olympics & the world knew it, giving the Gold medal to G&P was the biggest joke in Olympic history & everyone knew who the real winner's were that night!
G&P were highly overrated simply because they were Russians & we all know that crap that goes on with judging & the cheating that took place for those teams for many years!

B&K had the guts to speak out on behalf of all the crap that went on with the International Judging panels over the years & because of that they were robbed of many gold medals they should have won!

My father said to me that when Sale & Pelltier went for Gold in Salt Lake City they would not get it even though they were the best team that night & had the skate of a lifetime & he was right!
He told me several days before that he has along with my mother followed skating for years & knew that "certain country's" would not play fair & what a shock when the gold medal went to the Russians when S&P had received perfect scores all season for their Love Story number yet come the Olympics all of a sudden it wasn't good enough?
As Chris Dean said after the 1994 games.........."alot of stuff happens down there on the ice & alot happens off the ice as well"

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
I think it's only Canadian commentators comparing them to T&D, and as already mentioned, the same happened with B&K. T&D weren't just fabulous skaters, they were also fabulous choreographers. I think that's what really set them apart from everyone else.

Not to bash B&K, but they only complained when they were shafted, so the complaints were rather self-serving. I think almost all complaints from any skater fall under the same category. It was only the dance competition at Worlds in 2002 when skaters stuck up for others they thought were shafted.

V&M are wonderful, but they are no T&D.

madibe

On the Ice
Also to say G&P were a highly influential team is a joke since they were crap!
They were not nearly the greatest ice dancers, their skating abiltity was highly lacking & they were weak solo skater's so putting them together never made it much better!

Did you read what the poster said? He/she never said G&P were the greatest ice dancers, rather that they were just one of the best since Torvill and Dean. Looks like both of you agree Torvill and Dean were the best.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Well excuse me but I am the wrong person to say that too since I have followed ice dance for many years & know alot about it as well as all the cheating & crap that goes on within the federation that Canadians have tried to clean up for many years now!

What exactly have the Canadians done to 'clean up' the judging system, other than whining and complaining about it? Speaking up about poor judging is one thing, but how did they contribute in bringing about better judging?

I was about to lol but that would be rude so all I will say is this, there will IMO NEVER be a team that can touch T&D in any way but there are teams that come close & B&K were far greater than G&P & K&P & any other's that were around a few years back!

How were B & K greater than K/P? B/K are good ice dancers with loads of fans, but K/P were really the superior dancers.